I need a lot of help. (rant/vent)

Kaiserliche_garde

I don't really know how to sugar coat this or explain it any better, but I cannot play the game.  I log into the game through the launcher just fine and when I get to my port  the game crashes.  This has happened three or four times now and I get a notification every time saying "World of Warships has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware".  I know WeeGee was really pushing the improved graphics this update and I was running a custom low graphics setting in game, but the way the ship and port were presented after logging in suggests a higher graphics setting.  I do not know if WeeGee reset anyone else's in game graphics settings, but WeeGee did a smaller graphics/UI reset one or two updates ago and I had to go search and solve that problem.  So one question I have to other players is did WeeGee reset or alter your in game graphics settings with this update?

I've checked drivers and my computer tells me they are all up to date.  I am able to play other games, like SWTOR, just fine without any graphics issues (when I said the graphics look like they've been reset in WoWs to a higher setting I have seen this similarly (but not this bad) in SWTOR at higher settings, which is why I run custom lower graphics).  I've run /scannow in command prompt and something got repaired, but still no joy on WoWs.  Every time I logged into the game I would try to get to the settings, but my computer would just say "nope" and and kick me back to the desktop.  As far as I remember this has never happened to me with any game before and the only game that I consistently have noticeable issues immediately after an update is WoWs.  I have absolutely no idea what to do and WoWs customer support is unlikely to be helpful, but I will give them a shot.

I still enjoy the game and would hate to see this be the end of it for me.  Thank you for listening to me complain and thank you for any advice you have.

Guest Capt_of_Satisfaction
17 minutes ago, Kaiserliche_garde said:

I don't really know how to sugar coat this or explain it any better, but I cannot play the game.  I log into the game through the launcher just fine and when I get to my port  the game crashes.  This has happened three or four times now and I get a notification every time saying "World of Warships has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware".  I know WeeGee was really pushing the improved graphics this update and I was running a custom low graphics setting in game, but the way the ship and port were presented after logging in suggests a higher graphics setting.  I do not know if WeeGee reset anyone else's in game graphics settings, but WeeGee did a smaller graphics/UI reset one or two updates ago and I had to go search and solve that problem.  So one question I have to other players is did WeeGee reset or alter your in game graphics settings with this update?

I've checked drivers and my computer tells me they are all up to date.  I am able to play other games, like SWTOR, just fine without any graphics issues (when I said the graphics look like they've been reset in WoWs to a higher setting I have seen this similarly (but not this bad) in SWTOR at higher settings, which is why I run custom lower graphics).  I've run /scannow in command prompt and something got repaired, but still no joy on WoWs.  Every time I logged into the game I would try to get to the settings, but my computer would just say "nope" and and kick me back to the desktop.  As far as I remember this has never happened to me with any game before and the only game that I consistently have noticeable issues immediately after an update is WoWs.  I have absolutely no idea what to do and WoWs customer support is unlikely to be helpful, but I will give them a shot.

I still enjoy the game and would hate to see this be the end of it for me.  Thank you for listening to me complain and thank you for any advice you have.

I assume you checked your Direct X as well?

Interested to know your PC info, what GPU , etc.

Too bad we can't get a screenshot of your settings too.

Good luck with WG CS!

Yeah a while back in a patch there was a bug that the armory, clan and a whole bunch of other things did not show, I tried many suggestions and nothing worked so i contacted player support and within a couple of days they helped me fix the issue. So i would say to give it a try and you might just be surprised at the results.

• Like 1

I have one instance of WoWs running on Xbox and this has frozen several times after new updates. I could only solve the problem by uninstalling and re-installing the game.

PS. I'm an oldie. For me xbox is this program on my PC.

• Thanks 1

1. Run the file integrity check from the game launcher

2. Run the file integrity check in the wgc(?) folder (more thorough, takes a lot longer).

After that and the other advice, the nuclear option is uninstall & reinstall.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

uninstalling and re-installing the game.

Yup that's a good option right there sometimes a fresh install just fixes stuff, also whats your computer running? and its hardware? I might be able to offer some more assistance if i know what it is your using.

• Thanks 1

oh, another point. I once solved recurrent crashing of WoWs on my laptop, by activating the option "enable hardware acceleration" in the windows setting.  You right click desktop, select your gfx card desktop control window, and look through the options.

@Kaiserliche_garde In one of the recent patch news items they noted that the "low resolution" settings are now close to the (original) high resolution settings, so they may have had minimum requirements creep past the capabilities of your machine. As other folks have noted, kicking a ticket to the WG team is usually a good way to resolve these issues, so if this is the case, at least you aren't guessing.

• Thanks 1

The only time I've seen that error was when I used a modern graphics card in an old machine. the PCIE versions wouldn't work together. Have you upgraded your graphics card lately?

Thank you all for the advice.  I did a check and repair from the game launcher and it did its thing, still no joy.  I did a full uninstall and re-install and that did not solve this issue.  My laptop is more than a few years old, its just a basic (non gaming) mid i5, nothing special about it and no I have not made any additions to it.  I know that the graphics creep on computers, especially laptops, can happen quickly and it looks like it might be that WoWs has lapped my computer (laptop pun intended).  I'm not a complete novice when it comes to computers, but when people start talking about hardware/software thats when my eyeballs go cross-eyed like the gunners in Spaceballs.  I guess the only thing left to do is to write up a ticket for WeeGee support and play that dance.

Again, thank you all for responding.

I got one last idea if you have not tried already... restart the computer it might just help the problem.

1 hour ago, AdmiralMcintosh said:

I got one last idea if you have not tried already... restart the computer it might just help the problem.

I have turned off my computer and tried it again, still the same result.  One time I was able to press "Battle" on co-op before it crashed, then I got into the game again and it gave me a three battle pink penalty before crashing again.  You just can't make this stuff up.  I tried running a WGCheck, but something is now wrong with that and it won't run.  This just keeps getting better and better.

Okay, so I've sent a ticket to WeeGee Support with a WGCheck file and my last crash report.  I've tried a few other things and nothing still works and the game crashes out to desktop every time.  I am at an absolute loss right now, just flabbergasted.

uninstall it, clean up your comp, make sure everything else is up to date, and reinstall a clean version.

warships doesnt take a super computer to run it, so there might be a corruption there somewhere, for what ever reason.

I know its a pain to reinstall it but I think that is your best option

10 hours ago, CriMiNaL said:

uninstall it, clean up your comp, make sure everything else is up to date, and reinstall a clean version.

warships doesnt take a super computer to run it, so there might be a corruption there somewhere, for what ever reason.

I know its a pain to reinstall it but I think that is your best option

I already did an uninstall and re-install and that still did not get it to work.  Intel is telling me that my graphics driver is up to date.  I've done the /scannow and DISM dance and nothing happened.  The only thing I have not done yet is the Super Nuclear option of doing a factory reset of the computer, but I'm holding off on that as I am finally talking to WeeGee Support.  I just hate missing out on the Dockyard and I still have Premium Time and Doubloons, but cannot use them.

52 minutes ago, Kaiserliche_garde said:

I already did an uninstall and re-install and that still did not get it to work.  Intel is telling me that my graphics driver is up to date.  I've done the /scannow and DISM dance and nothing happened.  The only thing I have not done yet is the Super Nuclear option of doing a factory reset of the computer, but I'm holding off on that as I am finally talking to WeeGee Support.  I just hate missing out on the Dockyard and I still have Premium Time and Doubloons, but cannot use them.

You don't have to do the reinstall every time, BTW.

I don't know if you got mods, but those are the first to get uninstalled if you got this type of issues. Uninstalled, then check & repair, additional software (Microsoft distributables etc.) and the important thing to clear traces of any mods or issues is to run GameCheck.exe from the folder. Only that will actually restore corrupt data. Faster than a reinstall, and generates a report too.

One thing I would suggest is check how you are handling swap file on that disk drive, I suggest setting it on automatic. Your PC might be running low on resources.

Then your last resort is a support ticket, but that takes time as you mentioned. Hope you get it sorted out.

20 hours ago, Kaiserliche_garde said:

Thank you all for the advice.  I did a check and repair from the game launcher and it did its thing, still no joy.  I did a full uninstall and re-install and that did not solve this issue.  My laptop is more than a few years old, its just a basic (non gaming) mid i5, nothing special about it and no I have not made any additions to it.  I know that the graphics creep on computers, especially laptops, can happen quickly and it looks like it might be that WoWs has lapped my computer (laptop pun intended).  I'm not a complete novice when it comes to computers, but when people start talking about hardware/software thats when my eyeballs go cross-eyed like the gunners in Spaceballs.  I guess the only thing left to do is to write up a ticket for WeeGee support and play that dance.

Again, thank you all for responding.

Bro, the way you make it sound, it may be underpowered for the game now.  That's why I asked for your PC specs. If you're using Windows just type "about your PC" in search bar.  It would be helpful to know what you're running. 

If it comes to it, and you've been running windows a long time, it never hurts to start anew :-)  It's a pain but worth it on say, an old laptop.

But I hope CS helps you out!

2 hours ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Bro, the way you make it sound, it may be underpowered for the game now.  That's why I asked for your PC specs. If you're using Windows just type "about your PC" in search bar.  It would be helpful to know what you're running. 

If it comes to it, and you've been running windows a long time, it never hurts to start anew :-)  It's a pain but worth it on say, an old laptop.

But I hope CS helps you out!

Windows 10 Home 64 bit (22H2)

Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5 GHz

4 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 620

Realtek HD Audio (SST)

DirectX 12

If you want/need more information ask and I shall try to find it.

I honestly cannot remember when I got this laptop, but it is more than a few years old.  I've run the Troubleshooter for devices and hardware and it says things are fine.  I've looked in the dxdiag and that says no problems found.  I can't even take a screenshot in the game before it crashes, the best I can do is collect the daily login reward or hit Esc to try and get to the settings tab and then it crashes.  WeeGee Support responded and told me to install an incorrect driver (as the installation wizard scolded me for) and thats the only response from them so far, nothing else.

4GB RAM and integrated graphics Intel HD.   That 620 may be using almost half of that RAM, leaving ~2GB for WoWS.   WOWS running on Win10 wants 6GB RAM.

Edited by Slammer58

I wanna say your GFX might be your culprit here. And that it might be a full stop for your laptop, wows-gaming wise :[ 

A few devblogs ago (https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/462) the newly GFX updates was announced, and this springs to mind: 

"(...)There will be a noticeable improvement in the game's visuals at low graphics settings - it will become roughly the same as at high settings in 2021."

Now, I know that WG claims that this will be a breeze, but I doubt it.

An Intel HD 620 was probably already at its limits with the 2021-low GFX setting prior to the update, since its a non-performance laptop architecture from 2017'ish, albeit Steam WoWs minimum says Intel 4000 integrated GFX should be able to run it. It simply could be down to the update being buggy, could be an compatibility issue with older DirectX drives and such. And like @Slammer58 points out, it coud also easily be a memory capacity or lack thereof problem.

If you already have done a clean reinstall of the game and the error persists - and you can run other apps and games then most likely its software related on WGs end. And I'd give it a shot with a ticket to their tech-support. 
Remember to keep us posted if you get it fixed.

There are a couple of mods that may help your system. I use Aslain's modpak which includes:

• a mod that makes the sea smooth (almost no waves and spray to render)
  • a mod that makes the sky always partly to mostly sunny (no snow or rain to render)

These two items should remove a not-insignificant amount of load on your GPU subsystem.

As I have an AMD FX-8320 3GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, and a Radeon RX-470 w/ 4GB, I play with almost all setting Low or Off along with these mods. My game doesn't look photo-realistic as I see others' games in vids look, but my performance is nothing to complain about.

Also... is there no way to increase your system RAM amount as your graphics subsystem utilizes some of it for its own purposes?

Edited by theLaalaa

2 hours ago, Kaiserliche_garde said:

Windows 10 Home 64 bit (22H2)

Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5 GHz

4 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 620

Realtek HD Audio (SST)

DirectX 12

If you want/need more information ask and I shall try to find it.

I honestly cannot remember when I got this laptop, but it is more than a few years old.  I've run the Troubleshooter for devices and hardware and it says things are fine.  I've looked in the dxdiag and that says no problems found.  I can't even take a screenshot in the game before it crashes, the best I can do is collect the daily login reward or hit Esc to try and get to the settings tab and then it crashes.  WeeGee Support responded and told me to install an incorrect driver (as the installation wizard scolded me for) and thats the only response from them so far, nothing else.

Thanks, that helps a ton.  Someone beat me to it so I'll defer to the post from @ZeuSueZ1337

1 hour ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

I wanna say your GFX might be your culprit here. And that it might be a full stop for your laptop, wows-gaming wise :[ 

A few devblogs ago (https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/462) the newly GFX updates was announced, and this springs to mind: 

"(...)There will be a noticeable improvement in the game's visuals at low graphics settings - it will become roughly the same as at high settings in 2021."

Now, I know that WG claims that this will be a breeze, but I doubt it.

An Intel HD 620 was probably already at its limits with the 2021-low GFX setting prior to the update, since its a non-performance laptop architecture from 2017'ish, albeit Steam WoWs minimum says Intel 4000 integrated GFX should be able to run it. It simply could be down to the update being buggy, could be an compatibility issue with older DirectX drives and such. And like @Slammer58 points out, it coud also easily be a memory capacity or lack thereof problem.

If you already have done a clean reinstall of the game and the error persists - and you can run other apps and games then most likely its software related on WGs end. And I'd give it a shot with a ticket to their tech-support. 
Remember to keep us posted if you get it fixed.

^ this

Let me ask:  does the laptop have a RAM access port on it?  Some laptops have a small door where the RAM can be easily accessed and upgraded.  Having even cheaper 8 to 16GB would "possibly" solve this, but as has been illustrated, your HD 620 may not be able to handle it.

@Capt_of_Satisfaction @theLaalaa @ZeuSueZ1337 @Slammer58 @Admiral_Karasu @CriMiNaL @AdmiralMcintosh @Efros @SureBridge @I_cant_Swim_ @Utt_Bugglier @Paradat

Thank you all for trying to help, but it looks like my laptop can no longer support WoWs.  My current laptop is showing its age in other aspects as well and I ran my previous Windows 7 laptop into the ground, so now might just be the best time to get a new laptop anyway.  I'm just a little miffed this happened on the last week of the Somme mission chain and the beginning of a dockyard (I'm really worried I might miss out on the Somme, I have too many duplicates as it is (something like mid 20's)).

I've already scouted out some laptops that are on sale and HOPEFULLY I can get back into the game tomorrow at the helm of a new rig (I'll report back either way).

o7

Edited by Kaiserliche_garde
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2