Hitting bots with torps

OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

Dont know if this is common knowledge but watching a Flamu video I heard that WG apparently did some coding so when you fire torps at a bot in Co-op or Operations using lock on and the grey prediction line, they are hard coded to torpedo beats like a pro if they have the ability to dodge the torps you fired, which I had happen many times grinding missions in Co-op.

But if you instead lock on and line the torps up to the prediction line but just the second before you launch you un-lock your lock-on (so the grey line disappears) and launch he will be dumb as a doorbell (like old bots were) and just sail right into your full spread with a smile on his face.

I just tried this in Co-op and it worked like a dream.

Good to know for those of you that grind missions like "X number of torphits/floods" like me in Co-op.

• Like 3

Using the jousting pass and firing from "point blank range" tends to work well, too.  🙂

But, yes, if you launch torpedoes on one target and then switch to firing guns at another target, the intended torpedo target may fail to just-dodge.

HairpinTurnCruisertorpedolaunchdrawing_12-06-2020_.thumb.jpg.fe7649a071f71d766fcac464bc2e5331.jpgJoustingPassofaDestroyercrudelyillustratedbyWolfswetpaws_08-02-2022_.thumb.jpg.5b5f5baa906c5d93b457137c2deb3999.jpg

It often works, aspects beyond your control might still cause them to dodge. Such as; other people firing torpedos at them, planes flying over, they decided to angle towards another ship (I swear they know when I switch to AP and turn nose in). But it often works better than trying to launch them while locked, can even get some decent long range hits in that way provided the previous events do not happen. 

Edited by Darlith
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Darlith said:

It often works, aspects beyond your control might still cause them to dodge. Such as; other people firing torpedos at them, planes flying over, they decided to angle towards another ship (I swear they know when I switch to AP and turn nose in). But it often works better than trying to launch them while locked, can even get some decent long range hits in that way provided the previous events do not happen. 

THIS! 

This is my experience as well. 2 Bot cruisers go straight Leroy Jenkins style and will soon show perfect broadside to my heavy cruiser or BB and I switch to AP and they suddenly curve like homing torps straight into me and angle perfectly.

I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to code that as well, at least for the closest/biggest threat hooman.

• Like 1

As someone who spend way to much time in co-op, I don't think this is true.

* The Bots have a path they move on, and that includes turning every so often.

* The Bots will sometimes slow down, speed up or just not be traveling at 100% full power.

* The Bots will often turn towards the nearest enemy ship at a certain distance.

Combine those 3 things together and it gives the Bots the same WASD hack us human players can use 😛

---

If you're the closest ship to a Bot, fire your torps at it and the Bot turns into your torps it isn't.  It's turning into you 😉

About the distance that is good for launching torps, the Bots are often coming up to their 'change direction' bit of their path.

You can test this, by getting to the same spot you normally launch torps, don't fire them, and see what that Bot does.

---

I find a great way to get torpedo hits on Bots is to NOT be the closest ship to them. They usually move towards the nearest ship (not me) and they do NOT 'torpedo beat like a pro'

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

This is my experience as well. 2 Bot cruisers go straight Leroy Jenkins style and will soon show perfect broadside to my heavy cruiser or BB and I switch to AP and they suddenly curve like homing torps straight into me and angle perfectly.

I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to code that as well, at least for the closest/biggest threat hooman.

The important word there is 'closest'.

More often at a certain point (distance and/or angle) to the closest enemy ship (you) the Bots will turn into that ship.

When they do it, take note if you are that 'closest enemy ship'.

And when they don't , take note if there is another friendly ship closer to them and they are turning into that ship.

Bots can be usually very predictable.

Think of them as the worst ever player getting lucky sometimes.

Grantwhy pretty much explains the AI perfectly-but the operations bots focus fire is a wonder to behold.

Co-op bots will do this if you stray into a group of them with less accuracy.

Bot carrier rocket planes will concentrate attacks on dds.

Torp attacks from bot plane are the least accurate unless luck is not on your safe and you cannot dodge and the dive bombers can get a lucky or a killing hit.

I usually knife-fight and dodge dds -save the torps for everything else.

Edited by Chysagon
  • Like 1