Japanese Battleship Early Access - We can directly buy Bonus Packages for the Tier 9 & 10 ships with Tokens

Grantwhy

sorry for the very long title

I was looking at the Armoury page for the Japanese BB early access event, and as well as the bundle chain, down the bottom of the page is some stuff we can spend tokens on directly instead of having to get them via the bundle chain.

I was very happy to see we can buy the Bonus Package's for the Tier 10 & 9 tech tree ships directly, not in the bundle chain.

dBUlmo4.png

I haven't seen any news articles yet with how many Tokens we can earn for free, but recently it's been enough to get the Tier 8 Tech Tree ship (with Bonus Package) + just about enough (?) to get Permanent Camo for the Tier 9 ship.

For this event, it will cost a total of 4500 tokens to get the Tier 8 ship, and a total of 9000 tokens to get the perma camo for the Tier 9.

If we get close to 9k tokens for free it may be possible to get the Bonus Packages for the Tier 10 & Tier 9 ships instead getting the Tier 8 ship (with bonus package) & perma camo for the Tier 9 ship.

Normally I'm quiet happy to use the free tokens to skip grinding XP & spending Credits by get early access ships.

But If I can spent those tokens on Bonus Packages - which cost Doubloons - and miss out on stuff in the bundle chain ..... I just might do that.

I need to know how many free tokens I can get before I make up my mind, but getting the Tier 10 ship's Bonus Package is very tempting.

Ideally I'd like to get the Bonus Packages for all 3 ships (the Tier 8 ship's BP is in the bundle chain), but I suspect that will require me to spend Dubs.

---

But, in summary, I am very happy to see we can buy Bonus Packages directly with Tokens.

Two thumbs up WG 👍👍

Edited by Grantwhy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

Well looks like 2x30x25=1500 for the personal challenges, dont know about other sources if there even are any

8 hours ago, Grantwhy said:

But, in summary, I am very happy to see we can buy Bonus Packages directly with Tokens.

Just curious, is this implementation similar to how WG did it for the Pan American cruisers? 

1 hour ago, Frostbow said:

Just curious, is this implementation similar to how WG did it for the Pan American cruisers? 

TBH I dont really remember what kind of event it was with them...

Anyway there is a now "standard" string of "bundles" for the tokens that hold the T8 and T10, place where you can buy tokens for gold full of other "random" bundles in which there are an Ise and the T9 ea ship that are "mixed in" and some standalone bundles (one son the sshot in the OP) that you can buy directly...

Still cant see any other source of the said tokens except for the personal challenges, now there prob will be some kond of mission or missin chain at some point but for now I dont see any...

Anyway 1500 tokens dont give you anything relevant

1 hour ago, Frostbow said:

is this implementation similar to how WG did it for the Pan American cruisers?

No, this is different. The Pan-Am cruisers thing was a progressive bundle set that you unlocked by getting the early-release ships with tokens and using them to do the missions, and then if you bought the premium battle pass to get the T8 early, you could use it to unlock the permabonus for the T9. Because a T9 perma is 3800 dubs and the premium battle pass is 2500, it made good economic sense to do that; you were effectively buying the T9 permabonus at a discount, rather than just getting a tech-tree ship.

This time around it's direct purchase.

9 hours ago, Grantwhy said:

I haven't seen any news articles yet with how many Tokens we can earn for free

In the first phase, it's 25 tokens per stage for 30 different tech trees, and the levels are 300, 600, 1200, 1400 BXP with unlimited attempts. I don't know if it goes any higher. So it looks like 25 x 30 x 4 = 3000. 

In the second phase it's damage and the first hurdle is 25,000, but it won't let you look at the rest. If you were to assume four levels, then you could potentially get a total of 6000 tokens and guarantee yourself the perma econ bonus for the Bungo, but not much else. 

If you're going to spend dubs to get the permabonuses, remember these ballpark figures: 

T8 permabonus 3000 dubs

T9 permabonus 4000 dubs

T10 permabonus 5000 dubs

If you spend more than that on tokens to get them indirectly, you're wasting money and it's cheaper to buy them for the ships when you get them in port.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

n the first phase, it's 25 tokens per stage for 30 different tech trees, and the levels are 300, 600, 1200, 1400 BXP with unlimited attempts. I don't know if it goes any higher. So it looks like 25 x 30 x 4 = 3000. 

Yeah seems they do once I passed the 1200 theshold the 1600 became visible so seems there is a lot of tokens potentially there, dunno how high they go but prob at least till 2200-2400 per line

Edited by Yedwy

If I remember correctly 185 successful runs across the whole patch is roughly similar to what I did back in Spanish Cruiser patch for everything upto T8 boat. And I managed to overrun a little bit.

In this patch the workload is roughly similar, 180 successful runs gives you 4500 token.

So for me, I am going to get the T8 boat and that's it. The workload beyond that is too big, even I have got every class available in my port.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Yeah seems they do once I passed the 1200 theshold the 1600 became visible so seems there is a lot of tokens potentially there, dunno how high they go but prob at least till 2200-2400 per line

I'm seeing it capped at 30 successes for crates via a progress bar on the Personal Challenges mission page.  I think the tokens are probably limited as well, but we'll see.  It'll be nice if that's different this time.

In short, I consider this is the worst, the most greedy early access ever since Spring 2019 when I started to play in APAC Realm.

As the branch started only at T8, like previous events of Kansas-branch and Cherbourg-branch, for many free-to-play players, those ships in early access are in effect unavailable and it's the decorated port that is reminding people of the event. And to make it worse, this time even the event flag is also locked together with Yumihari that would take some rather serious effort to get during Early access. CN players have already commented that if one has no interest in collecting decorative items, then the entire event can be spent in accumulating XP on Nagato in a better, saner and more healthy way.

It reminds me of the first Puerto Rico event. In theory one can grind out all of those rewards offered in tokens, yet it takes making several "successful" attempts on a daily basis during the entire event to claim things like early access Adatara.

And there have been complaints on how the entire branch was designed, in terms of both modelling and game niche design, and that some also feel offended by the complimentary wording related with Imperial Japan.

• Thanks 1
  • Bored 1

17 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

As the branch started only at T8, like previous events of Kansas-branch and Cherbourg-branch, for many free-to-play players, those ships in early access are in effect unavailable and it's the decorated port that is reminding people of the event

I think what you wanted to say is the Nebraska line where the event is to grind Colorado.

The Kansas and Cherbourg is being given at the end of the month-long mission.

53 minutes ago, Arcusaesopi said:

I'm seeing it capped at 30 successes for crates via a progress bar on the Personal Challenges mission page.  I think the tokens are probably limited as well, but we'll see.  It'll be nice if that's different this time.

No, tokens are technically unlimited this time (except by your ability to grind to the necessary level).

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

and it's the decorated port that is reminding people of the event.

So they can switch it out to something else whenever they want.

43 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

if one has no interest in collecting decorative items, then the entire event can be spent in accumulating XP on Nagato

Yep, and that's exactly what I'm doing in case I fall short on the tokens.

43 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

some also feel offended by the complimentary wording related with Imperial Japan.

Japan deserves the accolades. In 1863 it was basically a pre-industrial feudal empire that got ground down and embarrassed by the European powers. 42 years later it beat one of them quite handily at sea and was holding its own on land before the peace settlement that followed did it badly. Fast forward another 36 years and it delivers a major bloody nose to TWO first-rate Western powers and a second-rate ally, then spends the better part of the next four years going down swinging so hard that its major enemy prefers going nuclear to mounting a full-scale invasion. 

And all that from a small island nation perched precariously close to much bigger neighbours. 

• Like 2

From event page

Each completed mission will bring you 25 Japanese Tokens and 1x Heroic Clash container. In total, you can earn 60x Heroic Clash containers: 30 for each completed phase. There are no limits on how many Japanese Tokens you can earn.

So time is only limit how many tokens you can collect.

52 minutes ago, fumtu said:

From event page

So time is only limit how many tokens you can collect.

Yes, the wording from WG is a little optimistic to say the least IMO. I know that I can fix the T8 (4.500) but it need a high volume of play so normal players with limited ports will simply not cut it for the T8.

When you have the maximum port as I do at least you can throw a lot of coop games to get the first level at least in the first round and far more levels (the dmg) in the second phase. The last time I had around 70 in the first 2 weeks and then around 150 or so in the 2nd , I had then passed the T8 by around 10-15 or so.

• Like 1

I'll aim for the Bungo's Bonus Package for 4,800 tokens since the ships themselves will be available in a couple of patches and I have almost 2,000,000 free XP and nothing really to spend it on (have every ship except subs researched and so on), so will just Free XP up to the Bungo. Also, I rarely play anything other than tier 10, so won't really matter much if I don't have the bonus packages for the tier 8 or 9.

I can't say that Yumihari is filling me with glee, to be honest. It's an accurate Nagato. 

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Japan deserves the accolades. In 1863 it was basically a pre-industrial feudal empire that got ground down and embarrassed by the European powers. 42 years later it beat one of them quite handily at sea and was holding its own on land before the peace settlement that followed did it badly. Fast forward another 36 years and it delivers a major bloody nose to TWO first-rate Western powers and a second-rate ally, then spends the better part of the next four years going down swinging so hard that its major enemy prefers going nuclear to mounting a full-scale invasion. 

And all that from a small island nation perched precariously close to much bigger neighbours. 

Sort of. The Japanese Navy at Tsushima had been given a massive technological speed boost by the British, who saw Japan as an ally and regional bulwark against Russia. Mikasa was, to all intents and purposes, an RN ship of the Line, and the IJN was instructed in how to run a modern navy by the best of the RN: there were RN officers on deck during the battle of Tsushima (observing from a deck chair, in the classic "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" tradition).

The Russians, on the other hand,  were hamstrung by their need to have three fleets operating in completely different conditions, by a procurement process which put a capital C in Corruption and ended up buying generally dreadful and outdated Battleship designs from the French. Having already lost two of their most enterprising commanders (Makarov and Witgeft) along with the best of their Pacific Fleet, and with all the (well-known) details of the shambolic voyage of the Baltic Fleets it's a wonder the defeat at Tsushima wasn't worse (and that was largely down to the stoicism of the Russian cruiser and torpedo boat crews, many of whom went from deadbeats to ironhearts in one day's fight). 

With regards to WW2: 1930s Japan had become a military dictatorship, spending as much of it's GDP on rearmament (and, conspicuously, lying about it) as the US spent on putting an Apollo mission on the Moon. The intention was to replace the British as the major colonial power in South and South-East Asia and acquiring American acquiescence through military competency (the line of thought being that the US public would not send its sons into a Pacific meat grinder to preserve *British* interests). And it might just have worked, even in 1945, had the cost of invading the Japanese Home Islands been too high. Sadly - for that particular group of racist imperial murderers - it's not always the case that those who start an arms race end up being the winners, and so it was for Japan. War tends to accelerate the development of weaponry, and by 1945 the Super-Battleship and ship-borne aircraft were no longer the matchwinners they'd been in 1942. and all were surpassed by long-range bombers and single nuclear weapons. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

The Japanese Navy at Tsushima had been given a massive technological speed boost by the British

The Japanese had a desire never to be embarrassed again and deliberately sought out Western technical and doctrinal expertise. The Royal Navy was approached as having the best and most technology and the greatest and most solid naval traditions. Admiral Togo trained in Britain as part of this, and he had a huge admiration for Nelson (to the point where he paraphrased Nelson's famous pre-Trafalgar signal at Tsushima). The admiration remained, to the point where there were some Japanese naval officers even in 1941 who found the idea of war with Britain distasteful.

Source: Morning Glory - a history of the Imperial Japanese Navy by Stephen Howarth.

Long and the short - Embarrassed and humiliated in 1863, Imperial Japan recognized its deficiencies, set out to repair them regardless of what it might cost in national pride (i.e. approaching a Western power for assistance and choosing the correct one), and did so competently and efficiently, without the corruption and poor choices that characterized the Russians. Japan deserves the credit for managing that process instead of remaining an insular, third-rate backwater beholden to stronger powers.

• Like 1

@Ensign Cthulhu and @invicta2012, your expressed sentiments have some overlap, but I'm also cognizant of the rivalry between the Japanese land-based forces and the naval forces, along with some oversights and miscalculations and perhaps "dumb luck" that were factors in Japan's eventual defeat during WW-II.

Also of note, is the complicated supply & logistics with multiple versions of aircraft parts which may or may not be compatible with each other being an example that comes to my mind (thanks to the youtube channel "Greg's Airplanes & Automobiles").

Did Japan prove to be a formidable opponent during WW-II?  Yes.  
Was Japan *perfect*?  I say, "No".
But, to be fair, no nation is perfect, and, similarly no person is perfect.

I spent a year in Japan while serving in the US Marine Corps.  People are people. 
There's a spectrum of human behavior in the Japanese people just as there are spectrums of human behavior in every culture and nation.

Getting back to the topic, I'm glad to have more ships available, so that I may eventually provide those ships to some of the Commanders in my Reserve Barracks.

On 10/13/2023 at 1:36 PM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

The Japanese had a desire never to be embarrassed again and deliberately sought out Western technical and doctrinal expertise. The Royal Navy was approached as having the best and most technology and the greatest and most solid naval traditions. Admiral Togo trained in Britain as part of this, and he had a huge admiration for Nelson (to the point where he paraphrased Nelson's famous pre-Trafalgar signal at Tsushima). The admiration remained, to the point where there were some Japanese naval officers even in 1941 who found the idea of war with Britain distasteful.

Indeed, but the British didn't have to agree to give it to them - and they certainly would have refused unless there was a specific and valid reason to do so. Balking Imperial Russia's territorial ambitions seemed to be a valid reason in the late C19th (particularly given the massive geo-political shift in the Med with the opening of the Suez Canal and the possibility of Russian interference in the trade routes between Britain and India) but it turned out to be a horribly short-sighted decision, particularly if you happened to be Chinese or Korean and on the sharp end of Imperial Japanese expansionism. 

On 10/13/2023 at 2:55 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Did Japan prove to be a formidable opponent during WW-II?  Yes.  
Was Japan *perfect*?  I say, "No".
But, to be fair, no nation is perfect, and, similarly no person is perfect.

True, but all imperial nations have to contend with their history (and some of those histories are substantially more problematic than others).  

1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

True, but all imperial nations have to contend with their history (and some of those histories are substantially more problematic than others).  

There are things I want to say in reply, but we've already crossed over too far into politics.

If you don't like what's printed in the Kure port, change it to something else so you won't have to look at it.

On 10/12/2023 at 9:16 AM, Project45_Opytny said:

...the entire event can be spent in accumulating XP on Nagato in a better, saner and more healthy way.

Is it definitely off Nagato and not Amagi?

47 minutes ago, Tricericon said:

It’s being handled the same way other tier VIII splits have been handled, with both ships being researched from the tier VII (in this case Nagato). There was the US BB event earlier this year, where a very compelling argument could be made to have the new line (Nebraska) be a “side-grade” research option off of the existing tier VIII (North Carolina) like the UK and German full CC lines. It’s not surprising that this is the approach WG took with the Japanese CCs given their track record.

I suspect the main reason for doing so is the RB. The only effect having the low-tier CCs split from same-tier BBs is a very small amount of extra XP/FXP needed with a line reset. At tier VIII though such a setup would add not only extra RP but also significant extra grinding. WG would rather keep everything neat and tidy and have all non-CV/sub lines have equivalent RP value.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Tricericon said:

The history of line splits and new branches at Tier 8 has been to have them originate from the T7, e.g.

Minsk --> Ognevoi and Kiev (single existing line split in two, some ships re-tiered and new ships added).

Shchors --> Chapayev and Tallinn (new branch from original line; two ships in original line replaced).

Colorado --> North Carolina (original), Kansas (new line from T8), Nebraska (new line from T8).

Other lines at other tiers are more of a mishmash, e.g. Isokaze at Tier 4 is the stepping off point for three lines (both IJN DD lines at T5 and IJN carriers at T4), as is Gaede at Tier 6 (two DD lines at T7 and German submarines at T6).

It will be interesting to see where the US CV support line branches off, seeing as there's no evidence so far that there's going to be a T4 in that line.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

It will be interesting to see where the US CV support line branches off, seeing as there's no evidence so far that there's going to be a T4 in that line.

Obviously both CV lines will branch off the T4 CV like in all similar same class splits…

Certainly, a very solid early access event. Second best one only after Pan-american cruisers event. That's because we are given different choice to spend tokens and can also earn quite a lot of them depending of playing time and fleet size. No tokens for free xp and community tokens looks like oversite though.

40 challenges in each round allows to get T8 permabonus

76 challenges - only T9 permabonus

90 challenges - T8 permabonus plus T8 ship

The best deal her is likely T9 permabonus only since, we can get T8 permabonus in Champagne event and save a lot of time.

Previous Spanish cruisers EA event was very strange. We got two different tokens with weird exchange rate and everything was locked in sequential bundles. And getting more than T8 permabonus and camo way harder than now, due to tokens exchange rate.

Negative side is that buying all the bundles with Tsurugi and Ise not allows us to buy everything in this event. We would still be 5000 tokens short, which is equal to 100 challenges in each round. On my main account I'm going for all the gorgeous camos and Tsurugi, so still asking for 100 challenges done is a bit too much.

On my second account, which is free to play, I'm going for T9 permabonus, since they are way better than T8.