The WoWS community has a serious toxicity problem

Zaydin

Whether it's on the crappy replacement for a forum on Discord or on here, anyone who dares state an opinion that runs counter to majority opinion gets insulted, harassed and trolled for daring to have an opposing opinion.

It's fine to disagree with someone's opinion. It is not fine to insult and mock them for having a minority opinion.

I'm trying to think of a more toxic community than WoWS out of the games I play and the only one that springs to mind is Dead by Daylight.

Edited by Zaydin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Bored 3

21 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Whether it's on the crappy replacement for a forum on Discord or on here, anyone who dares state an opinion that runs counter to majority opinion gets insulted, harassed and trolled for daring to have an opposing opinion.

It's fine to disagree with someone's opinion. It is not fine to insult and mock them for having a minority opinion.

I'm trying to think of a more toxic community than WoWS out of the games I play and the only one that springs to mind is Dead by Daylight.

Attitude reflects leadership.

1) WG staff have insulted, harassed, trolled...or allowed others to do so...those who dare express opinions outside of the 'acceptable opinions' from WG corporate.

Toxicity is outright ENCOURAGED.

2) WG marketing is specifically tailored to reaching a market that thinks this behavior is acceptable.

As a member of a number of different game communities...this one is by far the most toxic in the randoms generic main.

There are people here in game that are wonderful and amazing people...who care deeply about the game and the community and do amazing things.

However, the prevailing attitude from WG leadership and corporate has been to tolerate and encourage toxicity against specific targets (Turry, Flamu, LWM, etc etc) while simultaneously marketing to those likely to share these deplorable behavior patterns.

This is why I'm openly derisive of WG staff when they demand to be treated with respect...

...and why I try to limit interactions with them to an absolute minimum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

It is frequently said that WoWS is not the most toxic gaming community around, and it's, in my experience, less toxic than WoT. The same goes for the forums as well.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Your post reminded me of this meme
giphy.gif

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

There are people here in game that are wonderful and amazing people...who care deeply about the game and the community and do amazing things.

This ^^^ is a phenomena I'm glad of.  I strive to remain cognizant of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

I'm trying to think of a more toxic community than WoWS out of the games I play (snip)

Dammit, Zaydin, whatever happened to the good old days when we used to fight like cats and dogs? Stop saying things I agree with! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Unfortunately you tend to remember the awful more than you do the good.

• Thanks 1

My experience is that many of those who claim they are being trolled, belittled, mocked, etc. for their “unpopular” opinions aren’t receiving pushback for their opinions, but rather the manner in which they choose to express them. Often those who claim to be victims of certain behaviors are in fact perpetrators of those same (or worse) behaviors themselves.

I often feel this community would be better off if there was more self-reflection and less reflexive defensiveness and casual disdain being expressed. Toxicity tends to breed toxicity, after all.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

It is frequently said that WoWS is not the most toxic gaming community around, and it's, in my experience, less toxic than WoT. The same goes for the forums as well.

As I said, it's out of the games I play. Off the top of my head only Dead by Daylights community is worse.

Just now, Zaydin said:

Unfortunately you tend to remember the awful more than you do the good.

Just to be clear, are you referring to me specifically or the "generic you" as a term used for the sake of discussion?  🙂 

Well, TBH, I've mostly heard it said that WoWS isn't the most toxic, I don't play that many online games, but the ones I've played ... well, let me put it this way, there are toxic people in every game. Rarely have I had a real issue with it.

17 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

It is, ultimately, what helps a game stay alive for decades.

I think this game has the ability to be a long term thing...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Just to be clear, are you referring to me specifically or the "generic you" as a term used for the sake of discussion?  🙂 

Generic.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nevermore135 said:

My experience is that many of those who claim they are being trolled, belittled, mocked, etc. for their “unpopular” opinions aren’t receiving pushback for their opinions, but rather the manner in which they choose to express them. Often those who claim to be victims of certain behaviors are in fact perpetrators of those same (or worse) behaviors themselves.

This exactly. It's not about what you say, but how you say it, and you tend to get what you give.

For example, hypothetically making 3 separate posts about how smoke firing is bad and needs to be nerfed, without any good argument for as to why, while completely ignoring reasonable responses to why is it currently balanced as-is, and belittling the users who respond. This just might culture an attitude of toxicity toward that OP. It might even give reason for users to suspect the OP is baiting for attention with an incendiary post in such a hypothetical situation.

Every community has toxicity in it, and I'm not inclined to think we are any better or worse off community-wise than FFXIV, Apex, League, or anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

This exactly. It's not about what you say, but how you say it, and you tend to get what you give.

For example, hypothetically making 3 separate posts about how smoke firing is bad and needs to be nerfed, without any good argument for as to why, while completely ignoring reasonable responses to why is it currently balanced as-is, and belittling the users who respond. This just might culture an attitude of toxicity toward that OP. It might even give reason for users to suspect the OP is baiting for attention with an incendiary post in such a hypothetical situation.

Every community has toxicity in it, and I'm not inclined to think we are any better or worse off community-wise than FFXIV, Apex, League, or anything else.

Meanwhile, back in reality, most compliants/opinions that aren't "CVs/Subs bad and must be removed" tend to be met with a chorus of "Skill issue", "git gud", "cry more". Try again.

8 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Meanwhile, back in reality, most compliants/opinions that aren't "CVs/Subs bad and must be removed" tend to be met with a chorus of "Skill issue", "git gud", "cry more". Try again.

I don't know about NA, but at least in the old days I never run into the 'git gud' argument on the WoWS forum (whereas it was very commonplace on the WoT forum).

Just now, Admiral_Karasu said:

I don't know about NA, but at least in the old days I never run into the 'git gud' argument on the WoWS forum (whereas it was very commonplace on the WoT forum).

People might not outright say 'git gud' but the intention is still there.

1 minute ago, Zaydin said:

Meanwhile, back in reality, most compliants/opinions that aren't "CVs/Subs bad and must be removed" tend to be met with a chorus of "Skill issue", "git gud", "cry more".

Interesting.

22 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

It's not about what you say, but how you say it, and you tend to get what you give.

23 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

...while completely ignoring reasonable responses...

9 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Try again.

No.

26 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

It might even give reason for users to suspect the OP is baiting for attention with an incendiary post in such a hypothetical situation.

• Thanks 1
  • Bored 1

11 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

People might not outright say 'git gud' but the intention is still there.

The intention, but not the attitude. Mind you, I am not saying that the way it was always said on the WoT forum felt like it was said in a toxic way, more like a meme of sorts.

I'm a little taken aback. I certainly haven't read every single word of every single post on DevStrike thus far, but I recall relatively little toxicity here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I'm a little taken aback. I certainly haven't read every single word of every single post on DevStrike thus far, but I recall relatively little toxicity here.

And if you feel that there is, just report it.  All reports are dealt with pretty quickly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still have a Dasha Perova meme of her with a sign that says "Git Gud".
But, I can't post it here for two reasons.
1.  It's probably going to be interpreted as toxic.
2.  I'm out of available upload space on the forum.  🙂 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Zaydin said:

No it doesn’t. I watched what happened on discord. You earned all of that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Bored 3

12 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

This thread sounds like it could be a reddit AITA post mixed with a Principal Skinner meme.

48 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

You know, normally I would wonder how sociopathic someone would have to be to think the appropriate response to someone having an unpopular opinion is insults, bullying and harassment, but I'm too god damn emotionally exhausted. So instead I'm just going to put you on block and wish that blocking people also kept them from being able to post in a thread.

Disagreement is natural. If someone provides a rebuttal that's fair. If someones default response is 'lol u bad' or other forms of mockery I am just going to immediately tune them out and treat them the way they want to be treated. If someone is civil with me, I'll be civil back. If they start out the gate with insults then they do not deserve civility.

I was bullied heavily when I was school so I have a low tolerance for people I view as bullies.

Edited by Zaydin
  • Like 1