Operations & Scenarios

Frostbow

Rare day in Aegis (ASIA).

image.png.2df910bfb85095d1850e644511529427.png

Not so great for me, but this was the lineup we had. A lot of ships (both DD) nearly everyone else but 1 cruiser went the left way at the start.

image.png.3fe4972274ca12de727e1abea9e18db8.png

• Like 6

On 9/22/2024 at 3:42 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

IIRC, I had the Smolensk in EF, and the DD in Hermes. I wouldn't have gotten that far with either of them....

I've been playing Smolensk in Ops but I always get Newport. I wanted to create a video and somehow show how you can ace UF with the Smolensk, but RNG says not yet.

Nevertheless, here's one game I had with the Bayard in Ultimate Frontier. The bots will come in waves, and with a cruiser, you will most likely spawn south. There will be 3 waves of bots, and they are a good opportunity to farm damage while covered by those rocks and islands. But don't stay south for long, there are times when the bots (probably the 4th of 5th wave) spawns earlier than expected.

I hope this helps. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

I've been playing Smolensk in Ops but I always get Newport. I wanted to create a video and somehow show how you can ace UF with the Smolensk, but RNG says not yet.

Nevertheless, here's one game I had with the Bayard in Ultimate Frontier. The bots will come in waves, and with a cruiser, you will most likely spawn south. There will be 3 waves of bots, and they are a good opportunity to farm damage while covered by those rocks and islands. But don't stay south for long, there are times when the bots (probably the 4th of 5th wave) spawns earlier than expected.

I hope this helps. 

I had issues with the enemy cruiser coming from the east side of the map. I think, could have been it was just spotting me and one of the first wave of bots got me. I didn't stay around to find out which was the case.

shot-24.09.08_10.34.52-0589.jpg?ex=66f9d

my Kitakami becomes useful in ops when our Shima accidentally went too far north too early.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

balanced-team.png

That's what I call a balanced team 46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif

Yeah, DPM, DPM with larger caliber shells and KM Secondaries. That's pretty much the "meta" in high tier Ops. I feel sorry for the poor Vermont watching the bxp tick away while the reload timer runs down.

I've been trying out some different ships. My ancient Zao, which I want to work just doesn't bring it. It's okay, but it's just much easier with a Des Moines or Salem. Even Yodo seems easier with better torp angles. 

BBs, Schlieffen and GK are consistent good scorers (I don't bother using my Hanover often) just from the secondaries.

I don't have a Smol, but I'm guessing the smaller caliber is going to make it lose out unless the Op has tons of bot DDs.

• Like 2

I felt like Roy Kent in this one. 

He's here!  He's there!  He's every-freaking-where!  Roy Kent!  Roy Kent!

Screenshot2024-10-01211302.thumb.png.825db7db00f97138e36e7254e3d9e054.pngScreenshot2024-10-01211318.png.c0e683fa3f674d5756b415e37b681026.pngScreenshot2024-10-01211344.thumb.png.e5a0a013c5a36b580669aad4bb629e6f.png

Great teamwork in this one too!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, xamdam said:

Yeah, DPM, DPM with larger caliber shells and KM Secondaries. That's pretty much the "meta" in high tier Ops. I f

Yeah, still.....as you know14728F2B-B3A1-4254-850F-95D0D4BC5353.gif one can tell the quality of a team, by seeing the target selection, consumable usage, timing, positioning, etc. This was a good team.

I feel sorry for the poor Vermont watching the bxp tick away while the reload timer runs down

It was Cherry, so ...... not much to feast on.

I've been trying out some different ships. My ancient Zao, which I want to work just doesn't bring it. It's okay, but it's just much easier with a Des Moines or Salem. Even Yodo seems easier with better torp angles. 

BBs, Schlieffen and GK are consistent good scorers (I don't bother using my Hanover often) just from the secondaries.

I don't have a Smol, but I'm guessing the smaller caliber is going to make it lose out unless the Op has tons of bot DDs

Well .... I would say it is about the team and the particular operation.  Was 1 with Encounter in Cherry (with 1500 BXP!!) and I consider her a PITA in ops, but the team was...... less then optimal.

And then it comes about the op itself, some ships are OP in some ops and maybe less in others. Stalin can bring absolute mayhem in AEGIS, IF played well, but not much carrying potential otherwise, even there. And some ships are just better suited for PVP than ops. Yolo Emilio comes to my mind 53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif.

Des Moines or Salem.

They are GREAT allrounders, as is Petro,  again, if played well. I still miss quite a bit of shots with the sisters, because of lack of familiarity with them. Smile_sceptic.gif.97d8c8cbb10e163afd1a67. Speaking of , I think opening up ops for high tiers, will highly improve general game quality, in the mid to long term.  

Also, speaking of cruisers, PvP builds are less than optimal for ops, to put it mildly, so there's that too.

Edited by Andrewbassg

29 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

They are GREAT allrounders, as is Petro,  again, if played well. I still miss quite a bit of shots with the sisters, because of lack of familiarity with them. Smile_sceptic.gif.97d8c8cbb10e163afd1a67. Speaking of , I think opening up ops for high tiers, will highly improve general game quality, in the mid to long term.  

Also, speaking of cruisers, PvP builds are less than optimal for ops, to put it mildly, so there's that too.

I agree (Petro is great too). I'm finding though that recently, after 9 years... I've seemingly forgotten how to aim. Shots that should be citadels against broadside cruisers (in Salem and Des Moines) fall short or long. Still decent damage but the cits are a mystery at times. Very often I find myself moving my aim to another target thinking the one I just shot should be dead and... nope! With Petro, its a bit more consistent.

Most of my ships are "Op" builds now. I just can't enjoy PVP (randoms, at least) anymore so I don't worry about concealment as much and put the points elsewhere. You're practically shooting all the time so it's not much use.

I hope their patch note mention that bots in tiers 6~8 will be dialed back a bit for balans™  works out. That might help more new players learn (and make it fun to play all available tiers again). 

Side note, I think they made some stealth tweaks to Cherry Blossom, especially in the opening DD wave. If you spawn far left, it seems torps are now in the water the second the DDs spawn. A properly timed radar can save a lot of teammates (especially if someone has popped a German Hydro around the same time). I've been calling it the "Gimp Spawn©" lately. Especially if you're in a sluggish BB.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, xamdam said:

I hope their patch note mention that bots in tiers 6~8 will be dialed back a bit for balans™  works out. That might help more new players learn (and make it fun to play all available tiers again). 

I am actually worried about that, why do they need to be dialed back? Imho they are fine as is, if anything the ones in tier9+ are a bit over the top occasionally, but I am actually fine with that too, I like a bit of a challenge. When Ops become just elongated coop, I will lose interest.

48 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Side note, I think they made some stealth tweaks to Cherry Blossom, especially in the opening DD wave. If you spawn far left, it seems torps are now in the water the second the DDs spawn. A properly timed radar can save a lot of teammates (especially if someone has popped a German Hydro around the same time). I've been calling it the "Gimp Spawn©" lately. Especially if you're in a sluggish BB.

I think that is not a stealth tweak, it is the new ships. Kitakaze and Harugumo have reload boosters (which the Shiras etc. from tier8 don't) and use them instantly, so can and do drop torps as soon a player is spotted, and the first one is usually the leftmost one with bad camo. This is indeed very dangerous and often unaware ships are lost at that point. Hydro is a real must there now.

Edited by Kruzenstern
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, xamdam said:

Yeah, DPM, DPM with larger caliber shells and KM Secondaries. That's pretty much the "meta" in high tier Ops. I feel sorry for the poor Vermont watching the bxp tick away while the reload timer runs down.

31 minutes ago, xamdam said:

I've seemingly forgotten how to aim. Shots that should be citadels against broadside cruisers (in Salem and Des Moines) fall short or long.

All the 8" guns are a lot less effective in tier9+ ops than they used to be at tier8, because the enemy cruisers are mostly large cruisers now with citadel armor that can't be penned at medium range. Unless you get close, you are now often better off spamming HE. Annapolis is King at that.

Otoh, this makes large cruisers a lot better than they were at tier8. I had great runs with Alaska, actually celebrating its historical accuracy (pun intended) as it was built to fight Yoshinos and boy she is great at doing just that (and Clausewitzes on top).

Granted, there were no Schlieffens and Annapolises to compete with, but this was still a fun battle.

shot-24_09.27_22_21.40-0971.thumb.jpg.f0b903b7cf9db30908880af3186d194f.jpg

Edited by Kruzenstern
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, xamdam said:

I'm finding though that recently, after 9 years... I've seemingly forgotten how to aim. Shots that should be citadels against broadside cruisers (in Salem and Des Moines) fall short or long. Still decent damage but the cits are a mystery at times. Very often I find myself moving my aim to another target thinking the one I just shot should be dead and... nope! With Petro, its a bit more consistent.

Oh that's not a "you" problem at all.

Wedgie-poll.png

I even call it the "unofficial"  (therefore unannounced) AP rework.53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif More than a  year, since this is happening.

29 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

All the 8" guns are a lot less effective in tier9+ ops than they used to be at tier8, because the enemy cruisers are mostly large cruisers now with citadel armor that can't be penned at medium range. Unless you get close, you are now often better off spamming HE. Annapolis is King at that.

Good point, but still no. It is about consistency. Aim for the waterline and the shots fell short or do vey little damage. Aim for the belt(!!!) and suddenly I'm scoring, tho only 1 or 2. Somethin' defo happened, whether is  intentional or not. We have at least 3 concomittent aiming bugs. 

35 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

I am actually worried about that, why do they need to be dialed back? Imho they are fine as is, if anything the ones in tier9+ are a bit over the top occasionally, but I am actually fine with that too, I like a bit of a challenge. When Ops become just elongated coop, I will lose interest.

Yeeah......What I don't like about this is that, instead of revisiting the  bot line up they do the least amount of work by dialing back the bots and people instead of learning get misled about the ships true capabilities, therefore detracting form the educational value of ops.

But T8 ops  for T6 .....  are a bit  on the challenging side, right now.

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Good point, but still no. It is about consistency. Aim for the waterline and the shots fell short or do vey little damage. Aim for the belt(!!!) and suddenly I'm scoring, tho only 1 or 2. Somethin' defo happened, whether is  intentional or not. We have at least 3 concomittent aiming bugs. 

Oh I know about the bugs, espcially the falling short bug. It doesn't happen that often but far too regularly and consistently to be just RNG. Lately in the Smolensk it was very noticeable, I would fire sustained salvos at a strainghtlining target, and after a whole lot of normal hits, the entire next salvo falls short. The next ones are fine again then. Annoying.

But the inefficiency of 8" cruiser AP does not come from that, that bug was also a plague in tier8, and there 8" was and still is king.

Edited by Kruzenstern
  • Like 3

On 10/2/2023 at 12:50 PM, lordholland4293 said:

only a thousand? Have like 4k

Erm... no, you (as of this post) have 1954, about a hundred short of me.

@FltCaptAlan Congratulations! That is an "achievement"!

Not sure if I should be happy or sad... Aegis, a div of 2 tier 8s and a single tier 9 show up (same clan) and die within the first wave. The T9 player (the only one I looked up) has been a registered player for 7 years...

Happy? That I was able to get the transports out and "save" the mission? Or sad that they don't know how the current difficulty / tier level cutoff is set. IMHO, that player should have, having played the game this long, but WG could do a better job of informing players (yes, it's buried in text) how bringing a div with a single T9 can match you with T10 bots. Or... they could just limit divs to the same tier and avoid this problem all together.

It was a hard fight, had to use islands at the end to manage my remaining hp and take fire away from the transports without getting myself sunk in the process. For the last couple minutes it was me and a full hp Ohio (that vaporized, once the bots locked into him). In the end a success, but not exactly "fun"... 

Names blurred out so as not to "name and shame".
image.thumb.jpeg.a70d99e7e576fd7f9117c8b2dfa7ee5b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4105f68b26cf4d4cb38cfac459ac8678.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cc2cdd1754256811c3e79a938b8e0676.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f57ab079e2e5005c60c543a59afc1c13.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.36fc2a39e82eefa9e3af0d2068e62360.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d4709840acc808e405a6fdfe41a9ba03.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.725647e93a4f3138522004a1b6d57f6d.jpeg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Not sure if I should be happy or sad...

You did good. Not everyone can carry that burden and come out the winner.

52 minutes ago, xamdam said:

It was a hard fight, had to use islands at the end to manage my remaining hp and take fire away from the transports without getting myself sunk in the process. For the last couple minutes it was me and a full hp Ohio (that vaporized, once the bots locked into him). In the end a success, but not exactly "fun"...

That's what I like about Operations. It is a full, story-driven PVE experience that allows for faster PVE grinding of ships from Tier VI to X, yet it is not a walk in the park; it eliminates those made of weak constitutions and punishes those who disrespects or disregards proper and methodical gameplay.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xamdam said:

Not sure if I should be happy or sad... Aegis, a div of 2 tier 8s and a single tier 9 show up (same clan) and die within the first wave. The T9 player (the only one I looked up) has been a registered player for 7 years...

Happy? That I was able to get the transports out and "save" the mission? Or sad that they don't know how the current difficulty / tier level cutoff is set. IMHO, that player should have, having played the game this long, but WG could do a better job of informing players (yes, it's buried in text) how bringing a div with a single T9 can match you with T10 bots. Or... they could just limit divs to the same tier and avoid this problem all together.

Names blurred out so as not to "name and shame".
image.thumb.jpeg.a70d99e7e576fd7f9117c8b2dfa7ee5b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4105f68b26cf4d4cb38cfac459ac8678.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cc2cdd1754256811c3e79a938b8e0676.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f57ab079e2e5005c60c543a59afc1c13.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.36fc2a39e82eefa9e3af0d2068e62360.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d4709840acc808e405a6fdfe41a9ba03.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.725647e93a4f3138522004a1b6d57f6d.jpeg

'Go west, young man, go west!'

• Haha 2

I gotta' say....

I'm loving tier 9 Ops!  I have never been even close to these kinds of damage numbers.  Witness me!

Screenshot2024-10-02172833.thumb.png.52416c1401f9bd4ef4ced30d68ab98d6.pngScreenshot2024-10-02172902.png.5d91d383c51e141d4f74c975c7d1f15c.pngScreenshot2024-10-02172926.thumb.png.5b968065652bacd045b8218d0f3a2c67.png

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Captain Slattery said:

I gotta' say....

I'm loving tier 9 Ops!  I have never been even close to these kinds of damage numbers.  Witness me!

Screenshot2024-10-02172833.thumb.png.52416c1401f9bd4ef4ced30d68ab98d6.pngScreenshot2024-10-02172902.png.5d91d383c51e141d4f74c975c7d1f15c.pngScreenshot2024-10-02172926.thumb.png.5b968065652bacd045b8218d0f3a2c67.png

Looks like you and your FDG had a blast. 👍

You will soon discover you can easily and reliably reach 400K in Operations. 💪

• Like 1

Oh this is just grand... 

People that can't drive pixel ships constantly rub and block in Hermes and I get a pinko stinko eye and lose all earnings, plus a minus credit balans.

I got boxed in at the end by two of the same "captains" that had been blocking me through out the match and even though my front guns were hitting them, my rear guns saved them from getting torped. but... 

I'm about done. This kind of crap needs to go away. They removed torp friendly fire, just do away with it all together or... bring it all back, one or the other. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f2af56576cd2941bf84bce3b8ec8763b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c7477c498fb1bed0e02c66dfef38f2ac.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b8ceec196992dffd1ea1715fc24bb0b3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.77906ca33a4d76fa2b76174f5196386f.jpeg

Not "fun and engaging"... 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, xamdam said:

People that can't drive pixel ships constantly rub and block in Hermes and I get a pinko stinko eye

Well, I had a CV (Sekiryu) who actively griefed the team by blocking/obstructing a friendly divmate in the green repair circle on Ultimate Frontier and by not launching planes (only at the beginning).

He was offensive and undiscerning in chat which was no surprise because he had chosen a nickname with "Salty" in it.

Outright said "no" in chat when asked to reverse his CV so the divmate would be able to move again.

I secured the win by staying alive with 142 HP (because I had a blue XP Booster applied) while the team was dead with about two minutes left on the timer.

This dude really pissed off my divmates including me. Submitted a ticket of course.

WoWs_Yugumo 115k Ultimate Frontier ingame.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, xamdam said:

I got boxed in at the end by two of the same "captains" that had been blocking me through out the match and even though my front guns were hitting them,

So you admit that you scored enough hits on allies to go pink and get zeroed. 

Your problem.

Deal with it. 

40 minutes ago, Captain_82 said:

Submitted a ticket of course.

this-is-the-way-264x264.png&f=1&nofb=1&i  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xamdam said:

Oh this is just grand... 

People that can't drive pixel ships constantly rub and block in Hermes and I get a pinko stinko eye and lose all earnings, plus a minus credit balans.

I got boxed in at the end by two of the same "captains" that had been blocking me through out the match and even though my front guns were hitting them, my rear guns saved them from getting torped. but... 

I'm about done. This kind of crap needs to go away. They removed torp friendly fire, just do away with it all together or... bring it all back, one or the other. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f2af56576cd2941bf84bce3b8ec8763b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c7477c498fb1bed0e02c66dfef38f2ac.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b8ceec196992dffd1ea1715fc24bb0b3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.77906ca33a4d76fa2b76174f5196386f.jpeg

Not "fun and engaging"... 

It's easy to fire on friendlies because you don't always see where exactly your guns are firing at, especially when you have flat arcs.

If you think they had been blocking you all along and it wasn't just an unfortunate situation where this happened, you could try submitting a ticket to report them for unsportsmanlike conduct. Wouldn't get my hopes up, though.

When I get a notification that I'm firing at a friendly ship, I usually stop to check out the situation. Of course, if the situation was critical that delay can get you and your team mates sunk.