Operations & Scenarios

Frostbow

One thing I really appreciated with OPs recently, is that it throws many different ships at you, in different situations, but without too much pressure on your ship.

It allows you to test things you'd never do in other modes against real players.

For example, everyone knows that the Japanese 155mm and 150mm guns have bad AP, right?

shot-24_07.20_03_28.43-0008.thumb.jpg.34baa57bc4825fd070c3a1338d43199d.jpg

Think again, they're situational, but fantastic when the situation presents itself.

I have thus discovered that both have average penetration value for the caliber, but mostly improved fuse timer!

Standard fuse time is 0.033 seconds.

Most improved fuse time is 0.025 seconds, which is the case for Shimanto.

But Mogami has 0.010 seconds, like most DDs!

The occasion to use the AP in these ships rarely occurs, as you're generally too far from your target, but when you can slap that broadside ship less than 8km from you, it's fantastic!

OPs are good test beds for new strats. Took me long enough to realise it 😅

• Like 2

You know when you have a couple of smooth brained folks:

shot-24_07.17_23_26.52-0834.thumb.jpg.df769e13072a8a055a79863196e0678e.jpg

shot-24_07.17_23_27.01-0718.thumb.jpg.05d582f09d9d331d83f0a02b5ade2da4.jpg

Not the most spectacular of scores, but being in a 6...

They left the T-22, which ended up going into the harbor.  Meanwhile I'm dealin with what shows up NE and once done, I start to swing around the island to start working the Fuso's they also ignored.  As you can see, I didn't even get out of the cap circle before 2 rushed in.  So yeah, smooth brain.  At least the CV was doing pretty good.

• Like 1

Silly me... I had a few dubs sitting around doing nothing so I grabbed the "French Destroyers" battle pass for Le Hardi. If anyone is interested, this was my first battle in it. Killer Whale. The torps hit hard. 233K damage just from them alone.

If you're considering it. It does seem useful and is quite fun. Again, from my first battle experience. lol

image.thumb.jpeg.ac0f1dc5904c39ca37d7068a548f4941.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5a26f97616842d9fd06144fafe28d0ff.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.254500c6f4b8e74b22597345d51e40d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e7e20ff5e378ed0f036d51a884339b39.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5b542305dea3482972de38a7e5bee4f0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b47778771cb34fe4920b0f746b1a99c9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8748d43024207257ac8cf205f7ae4eb6.jpeg

Just gray boosters and a few signals (speed, fire chance). 18pt captain on lease from another ship since early access doesn't need retraining. I was able to land some good torps on the Gneis, Bayerns and both Fusos (kill, to secure the 5 star) before my final HP ran out. The team was a bit too cautious with most of them choosing to remain in the bay but job done. I haven't blurred out names as there is no shaming.

Replay.
20240729_191041_PFSD017-Le-Hardi_s01_NavalBase.wowsreplay

• Like 1

Some ships just feel built for certain ops. Tallinn in Aegis made me feel like that just now. Though I still need to work a bit better on ammo choice. I know I sent some HE downrange when AP would have been better, and some AP that ought to have been HE.shot-24_07.29_19_21.14-0125.thumb.jpg.9427d14f00e06196b7808ed296e11b1d.jpgshot-24_07.29_19_23.29-0262.thumb.jpg.0e307b05d107aa155d6e5fcec421734e.jpg

20240729_190559_PRSC208-Tallin_37_Ridge.wowsreplayshot-24_07.29_19_22.17-0601.thumb.jpg.27eb41d1dd654de7a30d98e810c223e5.jpg

• Like 5

You'd think after all these years people would understand how to play Killer Whale... Sheesh, surprise surprise, they don't...

Just me, or is there a recent trend to just clump up in the bay and ignore the Fusos? Been getting nothing but teams like this lately. 

But oh man, will they every climb all over each other to shoot the unarmed transports, batteries and ground emplacements!

And 9/10 they fail to even keep the Nurnberg / Bayern from breaching the N perimeter.

It used to be a fight to see how much farming could be done just before the timer ran out. Now, transports, hide in bay, exit (or worse, don't...) with minimal gains.

I'm getting audible groans from myself when this one pops up.

• Like 2

@xamdam No, they don't. And it's not just on NA that they don't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xamdam said:

You'd think after all these years people would understand how to play Killer Whale... Sheesh, surprise surprise, they don't...

Just me, or is there a recent trend to just clump up in the bay and ignore the Fusos? Been getting nothing but teams like this lately. 

But oh man, will they every climb all over each other to shoot the unarmed transports, batteries and ground emplacements!

And 9/10 they fail to even keep the Nurnberg / Bayern from breaching the N perimeter.

It used to be a fight to see how much farming could be done just before the timer ran out. Now, transports, hide in bay, exit (or worse, don't...) with minimal gains.

Killer Whale is the new Newport?

3 hours ago, xamdam said:

Oh, you forgot the "exploiters" that simply run North and set up camp to torp all of the entering North waves.  It ruins the entire match for everyone else....  Same on Narai.  Same on............  It gets sooooo bad some nights, we simply stop playing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Asym said:

Oh, you forgot the "exploiters" that simply run North and set up camp to torp all of the entering North waves.  It ruins the entire match for everyone else....  Same on Narai.  Same on............  It gets sooooo bad some nights, we simply stop playing.

I've mentioned them a bunch before. Lots of them from Asia... That was "a thing" there on the SEA server. And I see the same clans / account names here (alts, I guess) during the times I play. "Operations Chat" is binary code... 

• Like 2

So after a day or so playing Le Hardi (T7 early access French Fry) I think I have enough XP stacked on it for the T8 when they're released.

It's a fun little bote. The match before this one was an Aegis. I got a couple early Fusos and both Nagatos up north with a "Ray" award. Just stay near your detection range and the torps hit like a bus full of fat kids!

This was my final game. My first in Cherry Blossom with it. I wasn't really sure what to do with it but things worked out. It takes out other DDs quite well. The torp launchers are a bit awkward with the centerline triple and two dual side mounts but since firing arcs are good and you have two turrets on the back there's plenty of time for gunning while you swap around. Some torps into the smoke pile near the end netted me a bit of damage and I was surprised to top the team.

Screens and Replay below.
image.thumb.jpeg.eebf32a4394a916239a5d1ef1fc16801.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ec95dc8ad65cfba91429327c43e547d7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6f900ba5886300fd0fc21775467317a0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.257bd4a578bb558f7e288c885f6ed09e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4da1cf81580547c6f7a53c5eb2fb3f33.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9ef6550b7f69fe2d0e38dfa2b1f50de1.jpeg

Gray boosters, except 1 green for ship XP. Now have 99k XP on it which should be close to what is needed to unlock the T8 later.

Replay below.

20240730_233808_PFSD017-Le-Hardi_s10_USS_CL.wowsreplay

• Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 9:16 PM, Asym said:

I tried that a few times with a variety of ships like the Aoba and the Leander, back when Killer Whale was still exclusive to Tier VI. I find it fun although the waiting can be hard to manage at times.

I discovered that exploit by accident. One time I was playing the Izmail, and as I was staying very close to the border to sneak up and hit the Fuso, a ship suddenly spawned, rammed my BB, resulting to both my ship and the bot ship sunk. I took note where it happened on the mini map, and eventually I started to exploit it. LOL

• Sad 1

On 7/30/2024 at 7:32 AM, Darlith said:

Some ships just feel built for certain ops.

Back when Aegis was on weekly rotation, my preferred game play was to go north to get into position where I can farm ships and citadels on the 2nd wave.

For battleships, it was the Izmail. Those guns just rip the Aobas, Myokos, apart (although sometimes the BB's dispersion can be frustratingly bad). 

For cruisers, it was either the Budyonny or the Leander. Budyonny will have to use a few islands while farming citadels. Leander needs to position near the 2nd wave and use smoke, while hoping one will remain near to provide spotting.

I've tried Pensacola a lot of times, and it can be made to work, but there were instances where it was simply not good enough to face the various tweaks WG made to the bots of Aegis. (I remember there was a time when the 2nd wave had this phenomenal accuracy. They were very strong that there was a PVE thread over at the old NA forum that discussed in great detail how to deal with it.)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Frostbow said:

I tried that a few times with a variety of ships like the Aoba and the Leander, back when Killer Whale was still exclusive to Tier VI. I find it fun although the waiting can be hard to manage at times.

I discovered that exploit by accident. One time I was playing the Izmail, and as I was staying very close to the border to sneak up and hit the Fuso, a ship suddenly spawned, rammed my BB, resulting to both my ship and the bot ship sunk. I took note where it happened on the mini map, and eventually I started to exploit it. LOL

There are about a dozen exploits in Ops.  I know, "if you ain't cheating, ya ain't trying !"   But, I guess we are have "right and wrong" limiters built in....  I simply can't and won't ruin someone else's game experience for a few points....

That's just me.  Although, of late it's gotten a lot more prevalent to the point some of the Exploiters are toxic about it....  Not a good sign and when I look them up........they are PVP mains....  And, they reported and blacklisted.  Now, that won't do a thing but, it's what's available to limit player loss.  Many of us left PVP modes and COOP, Ops and ASB's are all that are left to us....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Asym said:

There are about a dozen exploits in Ops.  I know, "if you ain't cheating, ya ain't trying !"   But, I guess we are have "right and wrong" limiters built in....  I simply can't and won't ruin someone else's game experience for a few points....

Just to be very clear about this, parking your ship near or on the spawn points in Operation Killer Whale is not cheating. Nor it is a matter of right or wrong, regardless of one's built-in 'limiters'. 

It is simply good technique. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Frostbow said:

Just to be very clear about this, parking your ship near or on the spawn points in Operation Killer Whale is not cheating. Nor it is a matter of right or wrong, regardless of one's built-in 'limiters'. 

It is simply good technique. 

Whoa, we are going to disagree on this...! 

It's simply an exploit, one of many,  which significantly exposed the other players to excessive damage;   in some cases changes the way the scenario "evolves";  limits "team mates" ability to earn proportionally or even at all;  and, although programmed into the game (because our host doesn't seriously check what they build) it represents the worst of Team Behaviors !

We all talk the concept of teamwork to death on this and the old forum, yes?  Yet, here we are again......."it's OK" to ruin the other 6-7-8 players match, to waste their "precious time" because there's no value really after an exploit works...  And, we all want the game to grow.........and yet, exploits lessen retention - not build it......

"All for one and one for all........and, more for me !"   So sad.  And, the many of us of a like mind report (Plays Poorly) "those whom exploit and blacklist those players:  which, is our duty to this game. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Asym said:

limits "team mates" ability to earn proportionally

I read your post at least 2 times to truly understand it, and I keep going back to this statement of yours as I find it to be the crux of the matter.

Note: we can agree to disagree.

I personally do not see it as a representation of the 'worst of team behaviors' because exploiting the Operation's weaknesses means maximizing the ship your are bringing and its impact to the overall result. 

1 hour ago, Asym said:

We all talk the concept of teamwork to death on this and the old forum, yes?

Of course. And landing on the top of the score board is a direct result of team work and consistent and focused effort. Are you trying to say that just because a player ambushed the bots on their spawn, teamwork is thrown out of the window? If yes, then that would be a grossly unfair accusation bereft of sense.

1 hour ago, Asym said:

Yet, here we are again......."it's OK" to ruin the other 6-7-8 players match, to waste their "precious time" because there's no value really after an exploit works.

How would it be a waste of 'precious time' when literally everyone on the team can do whatever he wants to do during the Operation? Just take a careful look at Raptor Rescue and the routes you can take your ship. 

It seems to me what you are trying to say is that you want to always score first on the scoreboard. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that ambition. However, keep in mind that we are not the only ones who can do it. And when others do it, that is also legitimate, fair, and reasonable teamwork.

1 hour ago, Asym said:

And, we all want the game to grow.........and yet, exploits lessen retention - not build it.

Exploits in Operations lessen retention? Doubtful. On the contrary, even dormant players returned and logged in to try it. Most recent example I can think of is the D-Day Operation—one player working in a Division earned around 15,000 Base XP. Was it illegal? No. Did Wargaming acknowledge the fault in their game design? Yes. Did Wargaming penalize players who exploited that windfall in Base XP? No. Did players cry because they did not earn much? No one cared about their feelings; it was either you adapt to the situation or you will be left behind, munching on what crumbs are left.

Edited by Frostbow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Asym said:

"All for one and one for all........and, more for me !"   So sad.  And, the many of us of a like mind report (Plays Poorly) "those whom exploit and blacklist those players:  which, is our duty to this game.

Here's a clear example of, as you say, 'more for me!'. You were using the Irian. I was in the Mogami. You scored ten (10) kills because you focused your fire on those dumbed-down bot destroyers. You even earned Natural Selection, and the way you did it was arguably an exploit in the operation's design.

Now, were you reported? No. I even complimented you immediately after the game. Did we complain about you getting the most number of kills? No. Was it teamwork? You bet, it was!

shot-23_09.13_01_06.08-0318.thumb.jpg.eab57db6b8613f400dfb577b2ccea5df.jpg

Again, you can always aim to score first on the scoreboard. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that ambition. However, keep in mind that we are not the only ones who can do it. And when others do it, for as long as it is not prohibited by Wargaming, then that is definitely legitimate, fair, and reasonable teamwork.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frostbow said:

Here's a clear example of, as you say, 'more for me!'. You were using the Irian. I was in the Mogami. You scored ten (10) kills because you focused your fire on those dumbed-down bot destroyers. You even earned Natural Selection, and the way you did it was arguably an exploit in the operation's design.

Now, were you reported? No. I even complimented you immediately after the game. Did we complain about you getting the most number of kills? No. Was it teamwork? You bet, it was!

shot-23_09.13_01_06.08-0318.thumb.jpg.eab57db6b8613f400dfb577b2ccea5df.jpg

Again, you can always aim to score first on the scoreboard. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that ambition. However, keep in mind that we are not the only ones who can do it. And when others do it, for as long as it is not prohibited by Wargaming, then that is definitely legitimate, fair, and reasonable teamwork.

I appreciate a good discussion !  Thanks.

Sigh....I usually place in the top three...  Because, I know how the scenarios work and, I am reasonably effective in shooting....  After all, I shot for a living et al I have said dozens of times....

I do not exploit the Operations at all...........ever.  I play with clan mates mostly and in this ^^^^ match, with a random team.

Did I go off on my own and ambush 4 to 6 ships before you ever saw that????  Or, did I stay with the main force and participate......?

Anyway, players loose interest when:  the exploits work and all that is left are the the ships the rest of us kill to prevent a loss......usually, because the exploiter is killed, jumps out of the match and does it again in whatever comes next...

Thanks for the compliment....  I wish the game said whom complimented you so as to be able to say thank you after the match.   See you out there and we division most nights and you are welcome to join us.

• Thanks 1

A fun Cherry Blossom again. Probably my favorite Op and when I spawn in a US CA it's perfect (as it was originally designed to be). Didn't even really need to use my radar since we killed them faster than they could smoke up. 

Wichita this time. Gray credit booster, green for the rest.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a8f292ac5f729e789397edd480b6d55.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.190931c05922dac2997c5030b8415887.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e09f322294913732ac5d5c22a42e2f54.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.74051f2d6fc81aa9787e106c8386b00d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5c05c994ed6f002f71fd1c9709fb0e17.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1ea0347f9c818dff8d98a1072d190983.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d86a2ef0e9fba69f4eb201c4dbcf249d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.38a85004804d93de9a5441d0534be301.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.162479dc1a9b1a3776c0564218baee42.jpeg

Replay attached. Blurred out other players names as per rulz. But they all did quite well. I was just a bit quicker to the charge.

20240804_181544_PASC508-Wichita_s10_USS_CL.wowsreplay

• Like 5

Took out the Irian once more. And WG sent it to Killer Whale once more.

shot-24_07.30_23_54.11-0107.thumb.jpg.7e57479a51108f93d8d6809a73f5866c.jpg

shot-24_07.30_23_53.58-0191.thumb.jpg.0896fc5776fe9ff647f2b154ec3dd06d.jpg

• Like 2

I have this Cleveland game in Killer Whale where I scored an utterly measly 1 bot sunk. I don't know why, but it was just frustrating that my shells won't arrive on time or my reload was not fast enough (even if my 21-pointer has TGG). Our Baltimore and Akizuki had a field day getting kills left and right.

However...

I got a lovely surprise when the game placed my Cleveland on top of the scoreboard, with 1800 Base XP. Paired with the Blue Booster I was using to speed up the 2X reset grind to Worcester, the XP earned from this game was enough to allow me to finally unlock the Seattle!

shot-24_08.04_21_05.27-0428.thumb.jpg.df3a0a0f2d214d0af71fae3b9b0c92ce.jpg

shot-24_08.04_21_05.24-0311.thumb.jpg.90d2a3fce751438f04318c864cec711e.jpg

• Like 2

This is not a personally great match for me, but I wanted to share it because I was shocked that we won a Raptor Rescue, it has been a long time since the Raptor didn't get sunk midway. Everyone did their part though, even if I died stupid forgetting the spawn position of the two BBs and two cruisers, so got nailed by a BB while dodging the ap bombers. Special credit to the NC and Bismarck that sailed with the carrier group and then set up a great cross fire on the later BBs and cruisers.shot-24_08.09_18_48.03-0507.thumb.jpg.7324d8f262fed9200a7bc66e67916894.jpgshot-24_08.09_18.48_08-0241.thumb.jpg.03357f155a4413fa217daf6cd32d1008.jpg

• Like 2