Weekend Spree - 6 to 8 October 2023

Ensign Cthulhu

Knocked over a whole lot of small things this weekend, and found myself significantly advanced toward finishing a bigger thing - namely the Dockyard. I'm less than 530,000 elite commander XP away from having a 21 point commander in every nation, and the 90,000 ECXP chunk sitting in slot 28 of the Dockyard is highly enticing. Thanks to spamming ships for the Anniversary, I found myself much closer to this particular goal than I ever expected to be.

By the time I get it, I dare say I'll be close enough that I might as well finish. Then I will have to re-examine the decision whether or not to get the ship, a decision which has leaned towards 'no' from the start, especially after one of the Supercontainers gave me the Siliwangi, which is in some ways a watered-down T8 version of what the Lushun represents anyway. Still, with the ship available for a price which is as cheap as it can get without the use of starter packs, I owe it to myself to take a second look at the decision.

Probably the high point is that my Cataluna, which a few days ago was shaping up to be a cursed ship that could do no right, abruptly started to behave itself and produce decent results. Now if only I could say the same about Soviet battleships... 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 2

Well, I finished the latest Dockyard segment......and, that was a lot of Random Operations !  I simply am burnt out on the game.  Once this dockyard has been ground out, I'm taking a break.  No more grinds.  Only, if there is something worth doing.  And, I can't see anything coming up that would compel me to play more than with friends at night.

On a side note, we had a great competition at the range Saturday and the weather was simply  beautiful.  My new 25 caliber Lehman took a 1st place in a Woods Walk and I am tickled to death.  Yes, we had to use binoculars to see that small of a round ball hit a steel target (a Hornady #3 buckshot ball) The load is an #3 round ball,  .018 patch and 25 grains of Swiss 3F with a RWS #11+ cap...  Missed only one shot all day and a very small branch took that one ball (I didn't even see the branch 35 yards away....!)  

Other than that, I simply played that game to finish some of the minor tasks.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Asym said:

Well, I finished the latest Dockyard segment......and, that was a lot of Random Operations !  I simply am burnt out on the game.  Once this dockyard has been ground out, I'm taking a break.  No more grinds. 

Felt that way after the Schröder Dockyard and haven't done a Dockyard event since, maybe when a really interesting ship comes along, that's a big maybe, till then, no thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Asym said:

Well, I finished the latest Dockyard segment......and, that was a lot of Random Operations !  I simply am burnt out on the game. 

You looked at the fact of the new mission opening today and not the fact that there are still 20 days left, didn't you?

Send not to ask for whom Pavlov's bell tolls; it tolls for thee. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

You looked at the fact of the new mission opening today and not the fact that there are still 20 days left, didn't you?

Send not to ask for whom Pavlov's bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Ah mate, it's too early to hear bells (and, I'm seriously hearing impaired !  Hey, you spend an entire career shooting tank main guns and be a competitive shooter !)......nor hunger, yet again to grind anything.    

I'll look and try to find the effort necessary to at least try.  But, to be honest, I and most of my close friends in game are burnt out.  Break time and a new game.

We won't uninstall - just cut what we play by 2/3's and see what happens.  Some of us have taken up videogame reform and are working on that thanks to this game TBH.  Now that is a COOP match to win and we will.......

Edited by Asym

13 hours ago, Asym said:

On a side note, we had a great competition at the range Saturday and the weather was simply  beautiful.  My new 25 caliber Lehman took a 1st place in a Woods Walk and I am tickled to death.  Yes, we had to use binoculars to see that small of a round ball hit a steel target (a Hornady #3 buckshot ball) The load is an #3 round ball,  .018 patch and 25 grains of Swiss 3F with a RWS #11+ cap...  Missed only one shot all day and a very small branch took that one ball (I didn't even see the branch 35 yards away....!)  

👍

• Like 1

Was able to view the Twitch streams of @Ensign Cthulhu and @Lord_Zath (and others).

Viewed some youtube videos by Drachinifel, Binkov's Battlegrounds, and Greg's Airplanes & Automobiles.

Played some WOWs games.

Posted in various topics on the forums.

Sailed the Admiral Hipper enough (about 10,000 ShipXP) to finish the research in order to welcome her tier-9 sister, the Roon.
Looked over the Roon's equipment page and spent FreeXP to research her B-hull and other items with the exception of her main-gun range.
Installed my usual choices of hull modules and assigned Commander Azur Lane Roon to be her Captain.
It will require about 25,000 ShipXP to research the main-gun range improvement. 
When I signed-off last night, I had already made about 23,000+ of progress.

Made progress in various in-game missions & tasks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

and assigned Commander Azur Lane Roon to be her Captain

With AL Roon herself in your commander reserve, any other choice would be unthinkable! 👍

4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Nice. Let me know how you get on with her. I liked the heal. I disliked the reduction in torpedo armament when compared with Hipper, and the fact that unlike little sisters Nurnberg and Konigsberg, the rear turrets don't turn 360 degrees (Leipzig has a similar problem IIRC). 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:
13 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

and assigned Commander Azur Lane Roon to be her Captain

With AL Roon herself in your commander reserve, any other choice would be unthinkable! 👍

13 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Nice. Let me know how you get on with her. I liked the heal. I disliked the reduction in torpedo armament when compared with Hipper, and the fact that unlike little sisters Nurnberg and Konigsberg, the rear turrets don't turn 360 degrees (Leipzig has a similar problem IIRC). 

For what it is worth, Commander A.L. Roon seems to be doing just fine in her role as Captain of the Roon.  

So far, I like the Roon as a ship.  
Yes, the torpedo armament differs, but the rudder-shift can be improved wonderfully (5.5 seconds) with the right choice of hull modules.
With a double rudder-shift module configuration, and a Concealment Expert Captain's Skill, the hull detection is 12.6 km.

Given the match-making bracket that tier-9 ships face, having a Repair Party consumable is welcome.
The Roon isn't too different from the French Cruisers, though the Roon's top-speed is lower (32.5 knots).

As I write this, I logged-in to verify the numbers, and some XP from a game I'd played but didn't wait-around to see the results of, was one of my notifications.
I've gained enough ShipXP to research the improved main-gun range.  As I typed this, I've unlocked & installed the upgrade module.

With a bit of planning or anticipation, I can work with the Roon's turrets as they are.
Most ships don't have 360 degree turret rotation.  So those which do have that feature are something of a luxury, perhaps?

Bottom line?  For me, welcoming the ship Roon has been the fulfillment of a long-term effort to pair the ship with the Commander A.L. Roon who was welcomed to my Reserve Barracks years ago.
Everything else that is pleasant about the experience is a bonus.  🙂 

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Most ships don't have 360 degree turret rotation.  So those which do have that feature are something of a luxury, perhaps?

Oh for sure, but the turret layout of Roon does invite strong comparisons to two ships of the same nationality that do have it. 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1