Passing of Captain of Satisfaction - A Commander of his ship, contributor and moderator

HogHammer

Thank you for letting us know, a great person in the community that will be missed. 

• Like 5

R I P

Thank you for your presence...

No more pain and suffering...

Bless all that was, is, and will be...

• Like 6

I am sorry for your loss.  I only interacted with him once, but even then he was helpful and very kind, even to a stranger on the internet.

• Like 6

Anyone who has ever spent time in the old forums would have heard of Captain of Satisfaction, later identified also to be Anonymous Benefactor. As both, he was very passionate about our game. As the latter, he would send anonymous gifts to those who shared the same passion for the game and its community. I, myself, had benefited from his gift of the Cossack.

As the closing of the forums neared I got to chat with him a little bit. I found out that we shared some common interests in and out of the game. 

We both were DD mains, loved the USN DD Kidd, and picked the Bourgogne as our first steel ship. I think it was probably our conversation about the Kidd that had spurred him to later gift it to me.

Cap was very passionate about our game and community. Like me, he also had respect and admiration for the works of  Little White Mouse. 

We both use the Kensington Pro Trackball and he actually uses a pool ball in his! In memory of him, I will be switching back to using it for my daily driver.

He loved music and was an avid audiophile. Bruce Springsteen was one of his favorites and attended several of his concerts. He has speakers that are 45 years old but he would never sell them even if he was offered $10K. He also was a really good whistler, so much so that his sister remarked that he should be a professional whistler.

In the short time that I got to spend with him, I’ve learned a lot about him. He will be sorely missed and I will think of him often and always when I helm my Cossack.

O Captain! My captain! Farewell!  Your spirit will carry on in me and in this community. I am proud to call you brother and you will continue to be an inspiration for me.

Genna, from all of us here to all of your family,  please accept our sincerest condolences.

In his memory, I leave this poem by Walt Whitman  here:

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
                         But O heart! heart! heart!
                            O the bleeding drops of red,
                               Where on the deck my Captain lies,
                                  Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
                         Here Captain! dear father!
                            This arm beneath your head!
                               It is some dream that on the deck,
                                 You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
                         Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
                            But I with mournful tread,
                               Walk the deck my Captain lies,
                                  Fallen cold and dead.

image.gif.26ea240d579be2b135a570ae0ca851a6.gif

image.gif.666d8a61d25bdd8697b3cc0f2fa1a1cc.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

On 10/7/2023 at 4:01 PM, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Captain's sis here. -. I love seeing your post! Rand told me about being an anonymous benefactor. I was so impressed with him as just simply a good human despite untold suffering. Many times he couldn't play and it was frustrating for him because he struggled to sit up at the computer. Thank you all for your kind words... Fair winds to You all!

That is heartbreaking, I never knew he suffered so much just to play.....

sailor-moon-sad.gif

But he truly loved the game and the community. This I know. Fair winds and following seas to our departed captain, Rand Herron.

And once again, I am so sorry for your loss. 

Edited by Sailor_Moon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 5:00 PM, Mordt said:

No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away”…

as the anonymous benefactor, capt should have quite a few ripples. 

*nods* You're damned right. 100%. And even more ripples than that with his presence here in the WoWs community!

• Like 5

My thoughts and prayers are with the Captain of satisfaction and his family. He brought much joy to people as the Anonymous Benefactor may he rest in peace.

Edited by clammboy
  • Like 3

On 10/7/2023 at 5:31 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Sad news, I never really got to know him as I was never part of the NA community, my condolences.

Ditto-seems he was quite well regarded in the NA community.

God bless him on his final voyage.

Hope this is appropriate,my condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 10:15 AM, HogHammer said:

Hello everyone, this is Captain of Satisfaction‘s sister. Unfortunately, he has passed away. He loved this game.  If you want to see the real person under legacy.com. His real name is Rand Herron. Thank you for providing such entertainment for my brother, who was disabled, and he was a great person, Genna Saxe 

Rand Herron Obituary (1959 - 2023) - Legacy Remembers

Thanks for letting us know. I considered Rand a true friend and an awesome human being, I'm very sorry about his passing. My deepest sympathy for you, all the family and loved ones. He was a really unique person.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2