For all you low-tier addicts and new players out there...

Ensign Cthulhu

5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

IMO, newbie protextion could use some reform.  How many players start out fun, then hit the Tier V wall and quit?

I'll second that for new player "reform." 

And, from what I have personally witnessed firsthand that wall, or shock to new players at Tier 5 exists.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I like low tier because I'm so bad at high tier.

IMO, newbie protextion could use some reform.  How many players start out fun, then hit the Tier V wall and quit? 

One argument is that a newb doesn't need to know that he's doing until T5, so he doesn't.  This could be an education issue.

it's most definitely an education problem.  WG does a terrible job teaching newcomers starting with bots that put little to no real danger to players, this give players the wrong ideas on how the game is played until they hit t5 and get slapped by reality.

we have all been there thinking we are a big shot because we beated a bunch of brain dead bots and all of a sudden what worked with the bots does not work against humans that actually shoot back and will  blow you out of the water if you show to much broadside or mindlesly charge in.

5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

This could be an education issue.

Are we trying to educate the same people that are challenged by rotary phones?

How to connect an old rotary phone through your smartphone

How to Use a Rotary Dial Phone / Telephone

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

the advanced challenge will be starting a ford T, just give them the crank and the manual 😁

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble switching from crank and multi-party lines to the new-fangled rotary phones.  I can relate.

• Haha 1

WeeGee is well aware of the problem.  If you haven't re-rolled an account, try it some time.  The level progression is nothing like what you probably came in with.  There's an attempt at edumacation, however inadequate.  Other approaches are being discussed.

The problem is, WoWs competence in Randoms etc. is like the game of Go.  Abstracting ships to stones, it's about area influence.  I and better than I am at a loss as to how to express this in palatable terms.  I think visual presentation is required, but what and how to narrate?  Yeah, explain the mechanics.  (Wiki does that for those that can be convinced to read it.)  But that's a small part of true competence.  Hire a Go Master?

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The problem is, WoWs competence in Randoms etc. is like the game of Go.  Abstracting ships to stones, it's about area influence.  I and better than I am at a loss as to how to express this in palatable terms.  I think visual presentation is required, but what and how to narrate?  Yeah, explain the mechanics.  (Wiki does that for those that can be convinced to read it.)  But that's a small part of true competence.  Hire a Go Master?

I could narrate what I'm thinking as I enter into a yolo frame of mind and the armchair experts could cuss and swear all they like.  Should be an entertaining learning experience.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

WeeGee is well aware of the problem.  If you haven't re-rolled an account, try it some time.  The level progression is nothing like what you probably came in with.  There's an attempt at edumacation, however inadequate.  Other approaches are being discussed.The problem is, WoWs competence in Randoms etc. is like the game of Go.  Abstracting ships to stones, it's about area influence.  I and better than I am at a loss as to how to express this in palatable terms.  I think visual presentation is required, but what and how to narrate?  Yeah, explain the mechanics.  (Wiki does that for those that can be convinced to read it.)  But that's a small part of true competence.  Hire a Go Master?

Hire a Go Master?

Shego is Best Teacher

Ms.GO is best teacher

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2023 at 8:16 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

You should see what happens when you hand a Flintlock or, as in this picture, a Percussion 70 caliber Hawken (named Dink by my children) and ask them to compete in an accuracy match....  Shooting say, a hedge apple at 25 yards off hand on the large size targets or a golf ball on a tee, without hitting the tee in the smaller categories.....  (Oreo cookies or very small Limes are an idea of small at 25 yards.  And, Limes are a favorite because when they vaporize, and the wind in in your face, it smells great!)

Some new shooters simply can't shoot a Flintlock because of the "flash in the pan..."  We have a Tier 1 through 4 in our shoots......sort of......we coach the new shooters and help them well before the match.  Especially, for Flintlock only matches.   Those rifles are too expensive to drop !!!

It's called "Cultural Dissonance to adapt to technological applications"......or, adaptive friction - if you are an asymmetrical systems theory kind of person.

Games are no different than actual weapons.  

image.jpeg.637de7a147f2c9d800488fa25369d2e7.jpeg

That's why we should have a "Jutland" mode for new players and older, more experienced players should be excluded from that mode.  An "open" Jutland mode could accompany it and the computer would "exclude" experienced player simply by looking at their stats to preclude seal clubbing.   But, it would exist for the rest of us as well as the MM would not allow "newbs" into the match.

2 hours ago, Asym said:

You should see what happens when you hand a Flintlock or, as in this picture, a Percussion 70 caliber Hawken (named Dink by my children) and ask them to compete in an accuracy match.... 

🙂 
The phrases, "aim small, miss small" come to mind, along with "Train them properly, Major".
Movie references, "The Patriot" and "Glory".

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 1:20 AM, Justin_Simpleton said:

I could narrate what I'm thinking as I enter into a yolo frame of mind

I'm pretty sure that quite a few of my streams have at some point featured me saying "There's no way I'd get away with trying this against a human opponent."

• Haha 1

Time to lower my Charleston out of dry dock and slide my Arkansas Beta out of Mothballs. Let us show WG we care about WW1 warships like roudy sailors and hard skippers.... 

Edited by Crokodone
  • Like 1