Guidance on Ship Parameters

Daniel_Allan_Clark

Ever since I talked with some folks from WG about the new support CV line...I've been pondering an idea on how to implement a Commonwealth Carrier line into the game.

Purely fun speculation on my part, of course.

I remember there used to be ideas around how WG came up with hp amounts based on tonnage...concealment values based on certain ship dimensions, etc.

Does anyone here remember what that used to be? I'm not sure if any of that applies these days, what with the move to make things less standard...

...but any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

concealment is an in game mechanic derived from the highest point of the ship model, but drawn from the centre of the hull for LoS.

which is why the Fuso's pagoda can be seen from orbit, and why RN ships tend to the low conceal ranges as they are blocky but squat.

36 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I remember there used to be ideas around how WG came up with hp amounts based on tonnage...concealment values based on certain ship dimensions, etc.

Welp, they've DEFINITELY abandoned that amazing logic for detection range, you can tell. Vermont has LOWER detection range than Kansas, and she's huuuuuge!!!

Kansas best detection range: 13.1 km

Vermont best detection range: 12.6 km

7CN.gif.47794510454fd82beb0f15fa8cac0014.gif

3 minutes ago, Dareios said:

concealment is an in game mechanic derived from the highest point of the ship model, but drawn from the centre of the hull for LoS.

which is why the Fuso's pagoda can be seen from orbit, and why RN ships tend to the low conceal ranges as they are blocky but squat.

Ahhhh, so it really only takes HEIGHT into consideration? Interesting... 🤔

1 minute ago, Sailor_Moon said:

Ahhhh, so it really only takes HEIGHT into consideration? Interesting... 🤔

in theory.

thats the way it was designed and makes sense from a realism viewpoint as that would be the first thing appearing on the horizon.

pretty sure WG can do whatever it wants and claim balance reasons with concealment as in all other things