Since WeeGee says there is no aiming bug...

WES_HoundDog

It's funny. Played a tier 2 game. There was only 1 human on each team. The human on red team died quickly so I suicided and watched the bots fight it out. Red team bots were good. Hitting targets most of the time. Our bots shot at absolutley nothing, shots landing kilometers from the target. Our DDs plowed forward in a straight line and rammed cruisers and died, I watched their Sampson. WASD...stop...reverse...getting torps on target, he ends up with 4 kills. They end it with a 12 to 5 bot kill ratio.  

On 9/28/2023 at 2:08 PM, majmac said:

Here is a good aiming bug!

Fast forward to about 3:00.

From a replay posted by Sea Lord Mountbatten

Well if it's not an aiming bug... it's a feature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, it is still there.  I'll aim at waterline, watch shells fall well short....ON A STATIONARY TARGET!  Adjust to aim higher, watch shells fly off into orbit.  It is annoying as hell.  There are times I'll actually HIT the target more consistently not locking on when I have this happen too often against one ship....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Volron said:

Yeah, it is still there.  I'll aim at waterline, watch shells fall well short....ON A STATIONARY TARGET!  Adjust to aim higher, watch shells fly off into orbit.  It is annoying as hell.  There are times I'll actually HIT the target more consistently not locking on when I have this happen too often against one ship....

I was in Killer Whale yesterday, on Kii. I was roughly in the middle of the Naval Base having come from the easterly opening in, firing at the docked Gneisenau at maybe, a 30 to 45 degree angle. My shots sometimes hit, but mostly fell on either side of the target... except with one salvo, half of the shots landed approximately about 200 meters off on the port side of the ship, I assume those were fired from my aft turrets.

7 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I was in Killer Whale yesterday, on Kii. I was roughly in the middle of the Naval Base having come from the easterly opening in, firing at the docked Gneisenau at maybe, a 30 to 45 degree angle. My shots sometimes hit, but mostly fell on either side of the target... except with one salvo, half of the shots landed approximately about 200 meters off on the port side of the ship, I assume those were fired from my aft turrets.

Even from aft turrets, they should not have deviated that much especially at range.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Volron said:

Even from aft turrets, they should not have deviated that much especially at range.

Nope. It's actually so bad I don't think I've ever seen it that bad before.

Just now, Admiral_Karasu said:

Nope. It's actually so bad I don't think I've ever seen it that bad before.

"Working as intended Comrade."

• Like 1

Actually, I wasn't on Kii, I was on Bismarck. But... this is how it looked.

shot-23.10.03_11.55.58-0270.jpg

16 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Actually, I wasn't on Kii, I was on Bismarck. But... this is how it looked.

shot-23.10.03_11.55.58-0270.jpg

Honestly looks like you had not locked on.  That is the kind of dispersion I see when I'm not locked on a target.

1 minute ago, Volron said:

Honestly looks like you had not locked on.  That is the kind of dispersion I see when I'm not locked on a target.

There were few somewhat similar patterns too, but... as you can see the UI is telling that I am locked on the target. If I'm not locked on, there's got to be a bug somewhere. For this update, I've also been running entirely vanilla UI, with only cosmetic mods installed.

Just now, Admiral_Karasu said:

There were few somewhat similar patterns too, but... as you can see the UI is telling that I am locked on the target. If I'm not locked on, there's got to be a bug somewhere. For this update, I've also been running entirely vanilla UI, with only cosmetic mods installed.

I don't run any mods and I still see this happen too often, so it isn't a mod thing.  What I have found is if I unlock then relock, it usually fixes the issue.  I am honestly trying to remember when this became an issue.  It's been like this for at least 2 years if I recall correctly.  Sure as ell did not happen during CBT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Volron said:

I don't run any mods and I still see this happen too often, so it isn't a mod thing.  What I have found is if I unlock then relock, it usually fixes the issue.  I am honestly trying to remember when this became an issue.  It's been like this for at least 2 years if I recall correctly.  Sure as ell did not happen during CBT.

Are you saying I should get into the habit on manually unlocking and then relocking? For every single shot or salvo... just because WG can't bother to straighten out their spaghetti of a code?

21 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Are you saying I should get into the habit on manually unlocking and then relocking? For every single shot or salvo... just because WG can't bother to straighten out their spaghetti of a code?

Well, it doesn't happen THAT often for me but when it does I tend to do it, almost out of habit at this point.  But yes, you need to do it however often you need too, because of what you just said: "WG can't bother to straighten out their spaghetti of a code".

Edited by Volron
  • Like 1

From what I've read, seen, and experienced in-game, yes, there is an aiming bug that, after experimenting with it some time ago, seems to be a result of, as some call it, "auto-aim," but is really labeled as the "lock-on" feature built into the game.  When you lock on to a target, this sets the exact parameters of the ship you are aiming at that precise time.  Any deviation by your target will throw it off - such as a change in ship speed or a change in direction.  This is where the toggle "X" becomes useful just prior to your shot.  The longer you are locked on a target, the greater your chances of having shots not landing where you intended, such as unintended dispersion.

Potato Quality describes this perfectly in this video --

This little trick does work pretty well, by the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/3/2023 at 7:37 AM, HogHammer said:

From what I've read, seen, and experienced in-game, yes, there is an aiming bug that, after experimenting with it some time ago, seems to be a result of, as some call it, "auto-aim," but is really labeled as the "lock-on" feature built into the game.  When you lock on to a target, this sets the exact parameters of the ship you are aiming at that precise time.  Any deviation by your target will throw it off - such as a change in ship speed or a change in direction.  This is where the toggle "X" becomes useful just prior to your shot.  The longer you are locked on a target, the greater your chances of having shots not landing where you intended, such as unintended dispersion.

Potato Quality describes this perfectly in this video --

This little trick does work pretty well, by the way.

At this point i think there are at least 2 maybe 3 or 4 aiming bugs in the game.

Yes, there is the bug you posted above which i just had to deal with lately. which mostly deals with dispersion. Which can be also attributed to rigged games.   Who know why some ones dispersion is completely fubared? Yup, we at WeeGee are not at fault trying to make money off of rigging stuff.  It's a bug!  (Disclaimer: that we have no intention of fixing)

Then there is the shells falling short which has nothing to do with dispersion.

Then there is the bug recently brought up where you zoom in zoom out and lose target or reconition of an island between you and the target.

And since WEGee slowed things down over the "Torp aiming bug and quickly raising your aim targeting and firing bug,   there is now a slow to lock on "fix" that is just pain out frustrating when you have a split second to get off a shot.

Fix your servers WeeGee.

Edited by WES_HoundDog

At the back of my mind is the recollection that WG couldnt actually eliminate the railgun bug, so their fix involved retarding gun elevation speed. My impression afterward was that this made rounds go all over the place on snap shots, particularly a lot of shorts, so I try to let my aim dwell for a moment when there has been a quick change in elevation/traverse.