Brace yourselves, Trade-In event starts tomorrow!

NMA101

Per their usual MO, WG has been notoriously opaque about the exchange rates that old ships will have when trading in the next update. The official news article only references the devblog that was published a month ago, with no changes. https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-127-lushun-at-the-dockyard/#trade-in

My big question is: if you own a coal ship (Agir, Azuma etc.) and trade it in, will you be able to re-buy it again? Many long-term players have large stockpiles of coal, and WG has explicitly stated in the past they want to deplete the resource piles. 

Given the egregious predatory and underhanded tactics WG has engaged in lately, I am expecting the worst out of this event. We will find out tomorrow (on NA) and Thursday (EU).

Also as an aside, thank you mods for creating this forum (and allowing anti-WG sentiment to thrive). I only posted a few times on the old forums, calling out lies from WG regarding their holiday events, and those threads were censored/deleted in only a matter of days. 

See, if you could just trade in a bunch of ships for reduced doubloons, it might actually be worth doing for players with a massive surplus of premium ships/if they need the doubloons for other things. However, I'm not sure it works that way, I think it's just you get a discount on one of the ships from the Trade-For list....which is...limited.

7 minutes ago, NMA101 said:

My big question is: if you own a coal ship (Agir, Azuma etc.) and trade it in, will you be able to re-buy it again? Many long-term players have large stockpiles of coal, and WG has explicitly stated in the past they want to deplete the resource piles. 

Pretty sure you can buy again as long as they are available in Amory.

Guest Capt_of_Satisfaction
44 minutes ago, Sailor_Moon said:

See, if you could just trade in a bunch of ships for reduced doubloons, it might actually be worth doing for players with a massive surplus of premium ships/if they need the doubloons for other things. However, I'm not sure it works that way, I think it's just you get a discount on one of the ships from the Trade-For list....which is...limited.

Yes.  I can think of a few ships that aggravate me no end.  All premiums.  Vanguard, De Grasse, Gallant.  I would prolly trade those for 100 flags of my choosing :classic_laugh:

I was excited about the idea...then I saw the list of eligible ships...

I went back to sleep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NMA101 said:

My big question is: if you own a coal ship (Agir, Azuma etc.) and trade it in, will you be able to re-buy it again?

This has been addressed. The answer is yes.

I like the general idea of being able to trade, but I don't like the finer points of the mechanism; I think it should have been possible to put several unwanted ships on the table and thereby completely negate the cost of a desired premium ship. The one for one swap doesn't excite me, and IMHO the banned ships should have been locked out of being able to trade. 

The flipside is that this is WG testing the waters, and they might be amenable to changing the mechanism in future iterations or offering a broader range of purchases - if it's made politely clear why you (the general you) didn't come to the table on this occasion.

My ironclad rule is "never sell a premium; you may get it back in the next crate instead of something else you wanted". Back in the day when Santa crates let you know they'd hit a duplicate by giving you a different ship in a supercontainer instead, I thanked God for all the 'garbage premium' ships I'd kept in my port. The only people I think should avail themselves of this is people who pulled premium CVs from Santa crates or supercontainers and can't play them because they get vertigo. 

9 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

The flipside is that this is WG testing the waters, and they might be amenable to changing the mechanism in future iterations or offering a broader range of purchases - if it's made politely clear why you (the general you) didn't come to the table on this occasion.

This has not been true in the past.

It's not really worth it for me to complain or even offer up polite criticism of the event. Been down that road before.

Nowadays, if the offering isn't interesting, I just ignore it. Best for my sanity.

As an avid ops player, to me the event has its merits being  completely F2P,  but i need to see what I can get out from it.

Edited by Andrewbassg

44 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

As an avid ops player, to me the event has its merits being  completely F2P,  but i need to see what I can get out from it.

Same here. Ops are the best way to grind T6-T8 nowadays, and safest place to use blue/red boosters (especially if win rate is above 90%).

Obviously, one should only consider "ships to get" that are normally available for doubloons:

Boise is very good for ops, as it has a superheal which distinguishes it from most other T7 cruisers. 

Tirptiz is good, especially if one has Gunther Lutjens with a full 21 point secondary build.

Kaga I do not own yet, but apparently it has infinite plane generation so that should be helpful in ops. 

Bayard is also good, but it is available for "free" next update.

• Like 1

So it possible to trade T10 coal ship for a free T8 premium...   I got enough coal to do 3 transactions, probably will do it..

image.thumb.png.ff7a9098c0e1bebc88e13d5a59d1ef82.png

Edited by o4x4

23 minutes ago, o4x4 said:

So it possible to tradeT10 coal ship for a free T8 premium...   I got enough coal to do 3 transactions, probably will do it..

This is quite interesting? I could do two.

Gonna look into that tomorrow when the EU update is live.

[Edit]

Or not - from the blog 20th of July:

"(...)Ships that you have exchanged under the trade-in program cannot be restored."

As I interpret the above ships that trade (i.e. coal ships) cannot be restored after trading.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/464

Edited by ZeuSueZ1337
Added paragraph

15 minutes ago, o4x4 said:

So it possible to tradeT10 coal ship for a free T8 premium...   I got enough coal to do 3 transactions, probably will do it..

Yes. Traded Pom-pom for San Diego (+1500 dubs) and I can get her again.

I don't want to trade anything in and I can't trade anything for.

I just have the spread. My cheeks are full.

food-lunch.gif

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

Or not - from the blog 20th of July:

"(...)Ships that you have exchanged under the trade-in program cannot be restored."

As I interpret the above ships that trade (i.e. coal ships) cannot be restored after trading.

To me it looks like you can't ask for restoring back ship once you trade-it to prevent someone trade ship for new one, play it for some time and than, for some reason, request support to restore back originally traded ship.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NMA101 said:

Kaga I do not own yet, but apparently it has infinite plane generation so that should be helpful in ops. 

Careful. That sort of thinking can get you deplaned if you attack too recklessly. She starts off with large reserves and regenerates them fairly quickly, but she's not a bottomless pit.

20 minutes ago, fumtu said:

To me it looks like you can't ask for restoring back ship once you trade-it to prevent someone trade ship for new one, play it for some time and than, for some reason, request support to restore back originally traded ship.

Yep. You can buy the traded-in ship again if it's still available, but if you're foolish enough to trade in your Smolensk, for example, you will never get it back. 

13 hours ago, NMA101 said:

Kaga's strength is lots of on deck planes...not regeneration.

Kaga:

Attack planes: 24 on deck, 99 sec Regen

DBs: 36 on deck, 71 sec Regen

TBs: 36 on deck, 90 sec Regen

Shokaku:

Attack: 14 on deck, 66 sec Regen

DBs: 14 on deck, 76 sec Regen

TBs: 15 on deck, 72 sec Regen