Low Tiers I'd Like to See

3 hours ago, Gnirf said:

As a cruiser Blücher would be able to be at T5 even and a WG fantasy modernization at T6.

after jagger it could be implemented as a supership 😆

guess WG could replace some of the 88mm with dual purpouse 88mm to give it some AA.

6 hours ago, kriegerfaust said:

I have no idea what tier they would fill as the earliest was commissioned in 107 and the last in 1909, the lesser scharn has eight - eight inch but only half are in turrets, the Blucher has twelve - eight inch guns in a early dreadnought set up

Fun fact: Blucher’s historical 8.3” SK L/45 guns already exist in game: they are found on the tech tree tier VII CA Yorck.

SMS Blucher would likely be placed at tier V at best. The arrangement of her guns would mean that she could only bring eight guns to bear on a target, often times being limited to six given the likely firing angles of her bow and stern turrets. If given the Konig/Bayern treatment and presented in a hypothetical interwar refit state that included a buff to her historical 25 knot speed she might work at tier VI. However, I’d think the ship would lose a lot of her historical appeal if she was implemented in such a manner.

55 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

This is very questionable.

A principal problem for them is speed. Scharnhorst-class ACR can only make ~23kts, while SMS Blucher is slightly better at 25kts, can hardly outrun battleships (other than traditional Dreadnoughts) or chase a fleeing destroyer/modern cruiser. That was exactly what doomed the three ships historically.

Agreed. We might someday see a ship named Blucher at tier VII, but it would be her Admiral Hipper-class successor given the old IJN premium treatment and dropped a tier. There’s even a removed A-hull for WG to use. :classic_laugh:

Edited by Nevermore135

5 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

This is very questionable.

A principal problem for them is speed. Scharnhorst-class ACR can only make ~23kts, while SMS Blucher is slightly better at 25kts, can hardly outrun battleships (other than traditional Dreadnoughts) or chase a fleeing destroyer/modern cruiser. That was exactly what doomed the three ships historically.

I didn't think through it any further than Blucher having the same broadside as Yorck (T7) and a heckuva lot more HP and armor but less speed, so +/- one tier. :shrug:

It's worth noting that cruisers are not categorically faster than BBs in WOWS, and plenty of cruisers that are slower than some same-tier BBs do just fine.

Also, Blucher, Scharnhorst, and Gneisenau were all run down and sunk by more modern and/or more numerous ships of the same general type, so I'm not quite clear how their speed vis a vis battleships doomed them historically.

USS-New-York-ACR-2-Armoured-Battle-Cruis

ACR-2

USS_Brooklyn_h91960.jpg

ACR-3

If you can't tell i like older design's they let you play around with armament instead of just decreasing the size and number of guns on a ship, i love armored cruisers when ship building was just evolving into steel hulled ships and before centerline armaments became the norm, what other time could a ship fluctuate between a battleship and a cruiser.

The ACR New York has 6-8 inch guns while the ACR-3 Brooklyn has 8-8 inch guns a little older then the last two ships i mentioned but only a few knots slower, I don't think they will ever be added but they are two good looking ships.