Jolly Rodger Flag Being Auctioned, Does Anyone Have A Problem With This

tm63au

11 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The notion of the left-hand not knowing what the right-hand is doing as a way of explaining WG/WOWs actions has lost its credibility due to the repetitive nature of the incidences.  Instead I'm left with the impression that it is a pattern of behavior.

I think it's a corporate tactic which WG have embraced completely:

1. Mess up

2. Get caught

3. Try to weasel out of it blaming it on miscommunication with the players or internally

4. Whip out a new shiny to try to distract the players

I still enjoy the game, but I have no illusions about WG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

4. Whip out a new shiny to try to distract the players

Blazing Saddles - Excuse me while I whip this out

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

This stinks as if you buy or create a military medal in real life and say you were in a battle when you actually weren't. Wasn't there a riot from WW2 in New Zealand between old and new US Marines over the same matter? How low in honor do you have to go in getting an unearned achievement? This shows how much Wargaming believes in the Veteran WoWS players who earned the titles from the past eight years. I know there are WoWS players better than me in RB, but I will never say I deserve their RB flags or medals by purchasing them.

Its just part of the Communications Playerbase Rework. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nope, no problem at all.

its not zero sum, Im not losing anything by someone else having a flag.

and certain (years ago) rank out only ships and camos are now freely available to purchase too.

• Bored 1

WG has made the calculation that $$$ Is easier than hard work.

The new Base is about getting to the top FAST no matter what.

One cannot assume they ( WG) holds anything in this game sacred or special.

This isn't the Military.

Originally they positioned themselves as a serious game for thinkers and Military History enthusiasts but now they know that the POKEMON model is where the cash is.

People Levels of frustration will lower dramatically if they realize that .

I'm still waiting for the "Platinum Plus New player pack"  for $500.00 That comes with 5 RARE Ships, 5x 21 point SPECIAL commanders and 500K Credits and 500K Coal and 300 each of all signals.

They will make a BUNDLE.

People will be FURIOUS and WG will be MEH.

Selling things people killed themselves to earn exclusively is just the start.

You just have to not care anymore because it isn't going to change.

That is all

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

Ah ... now that's a different matter altogether.

WG have no business making a flag that players had to earn available for purchase. There's no ifs or buts on that aspect of the entire situation.

The fact that they CAN do it doesn't change the fact that they should NOT do it.

Agreed. What they SHOULD do is make it earnable AGAIN, instead of selling it. that way it retains its status, and the veteran players are happy as well as the new players.

• Like 5

I will be in the minority on this but I honestly couldn't care less who gets what in the game and how they get it; especially something as useless and irrelevant as a commemorative flag. I have enough to worry about getting the stuff I do without worrying someone else will as well. I just don't care if others get what I have as long as whatever it is I have, others are getting differently, isn't lessened as far as real usefulness and value for me/OG owners just so others can get it.

For example, when WG brought Missouri back there was a similar uproar to this thread on the official forums. People were outraged others might get Missouri. How dare WG let others get stuff I have in a different way then I got it was the basic gist of how it went. As an OG owner who grinded my rear end off for the 750K FXP before WG removed it (and as a Co-op only player then it was even more grind) I had zero problem with people getting Missouri the way WG brought it back. I didn't lose the increased earnings just so others could get the ship. OG owners got the credit mission and new owners got standard earnings. Those with OG Missouri still had extra earnings and those who missed it could now get the ship. Everyone won.

The whole Moskva Camo gate thing is another example. Initially, OG owners were screwed and people were rightfully upset as they spent real $$$ on the perma camo and were not compensated when it became a freebie. This was finally fixed down the road with compensation issued for those initially bent over. Once WG compensated OG owners things were 100% fine. 

I sort of see this flag along the same lines. How do you lose anything by others spending some ridiculously foolish amount of Steel, Coal, Doubloons, or whatever it will be on this flag? You just played the game to get it and didn't spend any real money on it. There are no combat or economic bonuses for it; it is just cosmetic. It is also something 99.99% of people won't even know you have as you seldom see flags on other people's ships they are so small. You know you got it from ranked and that is all that should matter. Someone buying it and flying it doesn't hurt or impact you in any way. If they think it makes them special well maybe it does; in a rides the short bus kind of way. It also could be as simple as hey look at the cool flag I want it. 

There are exactly TWO things in this game that, IMO, should be restricted to the OG owners who got them. That would be Iwaki Alpha for the Alpha Testers that earned it and Arkansas Beta for the Beta Testers that earned it. No one else should ever get those ships as they weren't here during that period. We are in Open Beta now so if WG does an Open Beta ship before going to fully live so to speak then only those who played during the Open Beta period should be able to get the ship. That is really the only things I feel should be restricted to OG owners (I will throw Alpa Tester/Beta Tester patches, flags, etc... in there too).

JMHO, and with all respect to others, to me this is a non issue. Just people spending foolish amounts of resources on something that is purely cosmetic, provides zero combat/economic benefit, and 99.99% of people won't ever see that you have it.

tenor.gif?itemid=16837823

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

There are exactly TWO things in this game that, IMO, should be restricted to the OG owners who got them. That would be Iwaki Alpha for the Alpha Testers that earned it and Arkansas Beta for the Beta Testers that earned it. No one else should ever get those ships as they weren't here during that period. We are in Open Beta now so if WG does an Open Beta ship before going to fully live so to speak then only those who played during the Open Beta period should be able to get the ship. That is really the only things I feel should be restricted to OG owners (I will throw Alpa Tester/Beta Tester patches, flags, etc... in there too).

You pretty much summed up my feelings on this whole “issue.” Someone getting something differently than I did doesn’t hurt me at all. The only thing I will add is that in regards to these ships I wouldn’t really mind seeing alternative versions of them made available, i.e. “Arkansas” and “Iwaki.” Some things should be changed, like removing Arkansas’ ability to mount six upgrades and Iwaki’s horn, but I think WG could make versions of these assets available to the larger playerbase in a way that still respects the contributions of the alpha/beta testers.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 3

I don't have a problem with it.  Yes, I understand the argument that, "I had to earn this, so show some respect."  I ask what part of the player base has any idea what you're talking about?  That was how many years ago?

However, WG could have (and maybe did?) make subtle changes so that it's not identical to the Ranked reward of long ago.  IMO, and small "8" or "VIII" is called for.

4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I don't have a problem with it.  Yes, I understand the argument that, "I had to earn this, so show some respect."  I ask what part of the player base has any idea what you're talking about?  That was how many years ago?

However, WG could have (and maybe did?) make subtle changes so that it's not identical to the Ranked reward of long ago.  IMO, and small "8" or "VIII" is called for.

Do we actually have any indication that they've made changes, or is it 100% identical in every way?

... that is, apart from how you get it. The sneaky, dirty, dishonest way of working hard to earn it or the honest way of using your company credit card, or your mum's, where applicable.

1 minute ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Do we actually have any indication that they've made changes, or is it 100% identical in every way?

None that I know of.  It's probably identical.  I was saying what they should have done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

None that I know of.  It's probably identical.  I was saying what they should have done.

By now, every one of us could write a whole book on things WG should have done. And two more on the things they shouldn't have, for that matter.

• Haha 1

That flag used to mean something.  So did the Black and the Flint - weren't they only available to someone who ranked out?  I got to one or two games away from ranking out once, then lost the discipline of quitting for a while after two losses in a row.  Never ranked out.  Now ranked is just a way to get doubloons.  I'm not interested in going to gold league because I hear there's a dearth of players there.

If WOW really wanted to make some money they'd auction off the American triangle flag we got that gives 5% bonuses or whatever whenever it's flying..

20 hours ago, tm63au said:

Players went through hell to achieve these flags and now all you have to is auction it off to the highest bidder and you own it complete with its " "A commemorative flag granted for achieving Rank 1 again in Ranked Battles " title, that they didn't earn.

It just doesn't sit right with me. 

I understand. 

But then this game is a business, first and foremost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, tm63au said:

Players went through hell to achieve these flags and now all you have to is auction it off to the highest bidder and you own it complete with its " "A commemorative flag granted for achieving Rank 1 again in Ranked Battles " title, that they didn't earn.

It just doesn't sit right with me. 

Do I like it? No, I think its devaluing the effort people made to get those, I for instance never had the patience for that much ranked...

Was it to be expected? Yes, WG is re-marketing anyting they can think of lately in the frantic attepmpt to raise the revenue, now if that is the sign of it plummeting or just simple greed I leave to everone to judge for themselves

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

Imagine all the people who worked hard to get the USS Black the original way, then to see the ship nerfed substantially and then sold for coal.

Some blithering idiot used to make monthly posts on reddit, because he wanted the ship, and in the process got it nerfed to mediocrity. 

3 seasons of reaching typhoon became meaningless.

The game has a bad memory and will award previously difficult or rare rewards for mediocre events.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 11:55 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Pikachu captain, when? image.gif.36c6f103956dfe0d2610797ac48b278e.gif

Will the commander for the Bungo be Cornhollio?  Heh-heh-m-heh-heh!

• Haha 1