How to play island hopping Cruisers with no islands?

Jakeshuffle

1 hour ago, EXEC_HYMNE_Ar_tonelico said:

I can understand why you would call bulls on it but once you figure out all the possibilities and how they will play out it is really not hard to predict and control.

um you must be in the top 1-2% along with the likes of the Flamu's & PQ's. 

Its like watching the top snooker players who already have the next 20 shots planned, but for this/ us mere mortals we can do 2 or 3 then just wing it as you go 🙂.

congrats on being that good.

On 9/13/2023 at 1:39 AM, EXEC_HYMNE_Ar_tonelico said:
在 9/13/2023 在 1:39 上午,EXEC_HYMNE_Ar_tonelico 说:

You take a perma kite position and only shoot whenever you are sure that you are in control of the engagement. You also want to either stand still, be in reverse or at half speed before being shot at as then you can dodge the best.
你采取永久风筝的位置,只有在你确定你控制了交战时才射击。你还想要么站着不动,要么倒车,要么在被击中之前半速,这样你就可以躲开最好的。

Dodge via propulsion, not steering. 
通过推进而不是转向来躲避。

or make a three-ships team that  one or two ships have smoke🤔

On 9/12/2023 at 1:37 PM, Jakeshuffle said:

I know there's usually a cluster of islands I can go to but if there is a map that has a left or right side almost all open then does everyone play the get Spotted game then run away real quick just with no islands? I know the Colbert is great at being shot but how do I play her, or Des Moines, if I don't have smoke or an island to go to? Should I be completely changing up my position? I'm trying to be better for my poor teammates in Randoms.

This is always an issue for cruisers...glass cruisers in particular. Terrain or friendly smoke is your friend.

In fact, it is an issue I play to when I run Tiger 59 (which most players claim is a really sucky ship, but I disagree).  Tiger 59 has smoke AND radar.  No other cruiser in the game (Plymouth included) can push open waters (and especially open caps) like Tiger 59.  I know no cruisers (and espeically radar cruisers) are going to push up for the reasons you note.  I will see them before they see me.  Team will focus and they die.  If they do push up with smoke, I'll just radar them, and they die. 

So with cruisers out of the way, I only need to worry about subs and DDs.  I push to contact, and then smoke/radar (detect range and radar range is about the same for me) and if I have a team that knows how to shoot the DD...we go up a DD early.  A sub often detects while on the surface.  It can dive quickly, but it does get spotted long enough for teams to get some air drops in. 

Hence, I get a twofer with Tiger.  I'm the only cruiser in the game that can push caps without terrain; I've capped many of them over the years even in T10 games.  And, I'm primed to punish any DD that attempts the same.

So, I say all this to say I PREFER maps with open water and open caps when I play Tiger 59.  I know cruiers like to find terrain.  And some cruisers have radar that out reach my radar.  But they too look for terrain.  So waters (and caps) that don't have such terrain are prime pickings for Tiger.  Radar the DDs that show and smoke up without worry of getting pinged by a radar cruiser.

• Like 1

Well ....for Cl's ( and not only) I consider taking RPF mandatory. It gives an additional element of intel. Then looking at the line ups is a good idea. to give a rough assesment of both teams ships objective capabilities. Then it comes to play according the capabilities of one's own ship.

For example dutch cruisers have Airstrike but with a limited range and are capable of setting fires. And are also relatively tanky . So try to get in range, while NOT overextending and keep an eye on the minimap to asses the overall  picture ie. how many friendlies are around and how much opposition you are facing. As have been already said, a sunk ship doesn't contribute with anything to the team effort. 

I think this is the most single important thing to understand and act according to it. Assessing what a ship is capable of doing, planning and playing accordingly.

Personally, I greatly value maneuverability over concealment. Don't get me wrong, conceal is nice, but if you are spotted and you don't have good maneuverability (both the know how and the appropriate build......you are back to port.  

On 9/12/2023 at 8:39 PM, EXEC_HYMNE_Ar_tonelico said:

You take a perma kite position and only shoot whenever you are sure that you are in control of the engagement. You also want to either stand still, be in reverse or at half speed before being shot at as then you can dodge the best.

Dodge via propulsion, not steering. 

So much this with the caveat of NEVER stop completely. That's a fatal mistake  for cruisers.