Premium Ships You Love, But Didn't Think You Would

Wowzery

Simple question here, what's a premium you got, dockyard, crate, bought, etc, that you didn't think much of but ended up loving?

The first one is the Imperator Nikolai I, I bought her from the store because I wanted a T4 battleship, was still new and didn't want the Tirpitz and play T8.  Was thinking a Russian battleship, not going to be that good.  Let's be real, IRL how good were Russian battleships?  Ended up being one of my most played ships.  Don't play it much now because its T4, and if you want the game to count to most missions it needs to be T5.

Other one was the Georgia.  I don't have much luck with 6 gunned battleships.  But people seemed to like it so I went for it.  Been a main ship ever since.

Mutsu was one that seemed to get a bit of hate early on by many reviewers and players, but since I was little I liked the Mutsu.  I enjoyed it, was actually a battleship I never had a problem brawling in.  Those torps were always useful.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

Simple question here, what's a premium you got, dockyard, crate, bought, etc, that you didn't think much of but ended up loving?

Alaska.

I was induced to buy her by @Sumseaman just before she was pulled, in a happy window where she had come out of some special no-coupon status just before the end and I could apply a doubloon coupon. 

She was absolutely horrid at first, and I was left wondering what this awful stinker was that I'd thrown ~14,000 doubloons at. It took me a while to get to even tolerate her, but all of a sudden she started to make sense and now I rate her as a solid performer. 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1

Yeah Mutsu is a pretty neat ship. I think it has bad reviews because it used to be very mediocre, then WG buffed the ship, but people never corrected the reviews nor gave it a second chance and they just repeated the old outdated stuff. There's a few decent ships like that.

Yuudachi, despite her unappealing stats and horrible reviews, is a great ship. Having 15km torpedoes at a tier where 12km radar becomes prevalent, and access to both smoke and TRB at the same time is a strong combination. It's one of my best-performing ships, and I don't really have any issue hitting torpedoes.

Almost everyone was saying that Hyuuga was gonna suck, but it turns out that she's one of the strongest BBs of the tier. She's just super fun to play!

Daisen can go 40 knots with the proper build. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it this much (with the horrible turning radius etc), but she's a blast!

Finally, Tone. She looks very anemic, and she indeed has low damage output, but her good concealment and all-front-facing guns make her super fun to play around islands agressively. You can make her nose poke out from an island and shoot, and because of how detection works, you won't get detected (if you do it properly). There's a much more strategic aspect to her, it's great.

• Like 1

This list is pretty tough because i knew what i was getting and most of them were let downs.   COuld be a much bigger list of ships you thought you would love and turned out to be stinkers.  But anyway..

#1 would be HuangHe.  think i won it in a supercrate or some crate.   No expectation.  All the reviews were bad.    The ship just works for me.  Best ship[ i have vs subs, best ship i have vs cv's.  Best ship i have when bottom tier.  It's money.

#2 Canaris.   This was a throwaway ship you could choose at the end of a mission chain with another throwaway ship the dildo.   At time of choosing it was the better of 2 stinkers imo.   However the quickfuse low threshold  improved pen angle 8 inch AP (even though it is nerfed to hell)  is fun to screw around with.

Edited by WES_HoundDog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Alaska.

I was induced to buy her by @Sumseaman just before she was pulled, in a happy window where she had come out of some special no-coupon status just before the end and I could apply a doubloon coupon. 

She was absolutely horrid at first, and I was left wondering what this awful stinker was that I'd thrown ~14,000 doubloons at. It took me a while to get to even tolerate her, but all of a sudden she started to make sense and now I rate her as a solid performer. 

Didn't you blow FXP on Hayate or something instead? Silly thing to do. At least you got it. I recall forcing other ships on you, maybe Erich L, Ark Royal or Ise....anything to create more aircraft in the game.

I recently purchased 'Alliance' due to its historic merit and was not keen on her at first. Soon after installing Sub Surv mod and using the slow torps properly my karma is sitting again at 0 where I damn well like it to be.

Yesterday I was abused because a silly Jager who killed nearly half our team was dev struck by the slow movers. Either they thought they could dodge them or that they were not armed. They soon learned differently. Back capped this Jager's filthy spree and went on to win. Their base XP would have been nearly 4k. I'm glad I ruined it.

Edited by Sumseaman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Wowzery said:

Premium Ships You Love, But Didn't Think You Would

The first one is the Imperator Nikolai I, I bought her from the store because I wanted a T4 battleship, was still new and didn't want the Tirpitz and play T8.  Was thinking a Russian battleship, not going to be that good.  Let's be real, IRL how good were Russian battleships?  Ended up being one of my most played ships.  Don't play it much now because its T4, and if you want the game to count to most missions it needs to be T5.

Other one was the Georgia.  I don't have much luck with 6 gunned battleships.  But people seemed to like it so I went for it.  Been a main ship ever since.

Mutsu was one that seemed to get a bit of hate early on by many reviewers and players, but since I was little I liked the Mutsu.  I enjoyed it, was actually a battleship I never had a problem brawling in.  Those torps were always useful.

The VI Juruá Doubloons🙂 
20210225150823!Juru%C3%A1_wows_main.jpg 

The
IX Neustrashimy Doubloons.  
I got the Neustrashimy as a loot-crate result while "whaling" for the CV Enterprise.  (Spoiler alert, I didn't get the Enterprise.)
I'd not heard much about the Neustrashimy.  But decided to sail her anyway for testing and evaluation.

Long story short, I think she's a decent torpedo-bote.

800px-%D0%9D%D0%B5%D1%83%D1%81%D1%82%D1% 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wowzery said:

I liked the look of some of the lower tier ships & what attracted my eye, especially, was (is) the Emden. I've found a way to play it that works quite well 😁.

Edited by Aethervox
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Wowzery said:

the Imperator Nikolai I

I could have & should have bought it when it was available - didn't want to spend money on WoWS yet I did spend money to buy credits for my grinding.

As a humble Coop player, the ship that now helps me do my best day in and day out is the Prinz Eugen. She was one of the first Premium ships I purchased 7 years ago and when I started with her, I frankly struggled. Upon reviewing my statistics, I realized she excels at knife fighting in a telephone booth where she is simply a beast. Just this morning I got a 1,000 BXP battle with her and she makes me look like a far better player than I am.

Edited by djc_499
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Sumseaman said:

Didn't you blow FXP on Hayate or something instead?

More to the point, I also got Smaland just before she went away. So at least the FXP I could have got the Alaska with was spent on an OP banned-as-F monster.

maybe Erich L, Ark Royal or Ise

Loewenhardt and Ark. Pretty sure my Ise came out of a Satan box; feel free to correct me if you have receipts to the contrary. 

2 hours ago, Aethervox said:

yet I did spend money to buy credits for my grinding.

I would venture to suggest that you have issues with setting priorities. 

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

Didn't you blow FXP on Hayate or something instead?

Possibly you're thinking of me?
It was a personal goal of mine to accumulate and exchange 2 million FreeXP for the Hayate before she was swapped from the FreeXP ship list to become a coal ship.
Side note:  She's a competent torpedo bote.  Not over-powered, but competent. 
And I had a Commander who needed a ship to be the Captain of.  
Missions accomplished.  🙂 

• Like 1

That's a toughie for me, because while there are several premium ships I like it's more the case that I also expected myself to like them. The opposite is more often true when you realize you made an error of judgement...

image.jpeg.016d2f8772c2d4327a29307a93671114.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

That's a toughie for me, because while there are several premium ships I like it's more the case that I also expected myself to like them. The opposite is more often true when you realize you made an error of judgement...

image.jpeg.016d2f8772c2d4327a29307a93671114.jpeg

ab42c349c092b3321019e1f2eedcdfdd--lemona  14axud.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=20ed75843d97bb

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Haha 1

This is a hard one, I'm not one of the gotta get em all crowd, so I don't spend resources on stuff I don't think I'll like. That narrows my list to box pulls and event ships. Within that category I generally can tell if I am going to enjoy it or not.

That being said, there are a couple that I liked more than I thought I would.

Vampire T3, a low tier DD with only 1 triple torp launcher doesn't sound all that interesting and yet I do find this a surprisingly fun ship when I pull out a low tier to play.
Ise T6, so take a Fuso which I love for the large number of guns and chop off two turrets for some torp bombers. Sounded very underwhelming, found it to be more fun than anticipated so it sort of fits.

Everything else was pretty much as anticipated, or a surprising disappointment instead.

• Like 1

Krazny Krim.  I heard so many bad things about her.  Turns out she's Svietlana at tier 5.  I LOVE Svietlana!  Since I'm a co-op main, I LOVE Krazny Krim too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Genova

Heard it was terrible...but I really enjoy it.

Ark Royal

So...SO much more fun than I thought it would be...and I really wanted it.

• Like 2

Weimar. Tier 7 light cruiser.  I got her in a santa crate last year.
My god, she's awesome. Much tankier then any other light cruiser I've ever tried. Hydro+torps for close work, spotter plane if you need to hang back. I'm blown away how well I can make her work. She's my go-to for ranked when the lobby is all BB's and no cruisers and I don't want to wait. 

Tirpitz- Again, santa crate. I have absolutely horrid games with Bismark. I don't know why but RNG says Bismark will miss anything and everything I ever shoot at, and that's running the 7% dispersion mod in slot 3. For Tirpitz I went full secondaries, and yet the dam main guns hit like a normal BB accuracy wise. Real head scratcher. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

More to the point, I also got Smaland just before she went away. So at least the FXP I could have got the Alaska with was spent on an OP banned-as-F monster.

Well that was a smart decision. I went with Friesland and Alaska for my FXP. I still think Vampire II is a better DD than Smaland hence why I didn't bother.

7 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Possibly you're thinking of me?
It was a personal goal of mine to accumulate and exchange 2 million FreeXP for the Hayate before she was swapped from the FreeXP ship list to become a coal ship.
Side note:  She's a competent torpedo bote.  Not over-powered, but competent. 
And I had a Commander who needed a ship to be the Captain of.  
Missions accomplished.  🙂 

Mebe. I was considering getting Hayate though now I've just decided to go up to Harugumo since I have sum RP to blow and apparently its LM is actually an upgrade. Plus I hardly have any actual tech tree ships.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Aethervox said:

yet I did spend money to buy credits for my grinding.

15 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I would venture to suggest that you have issues with setting priorities. 

Spending money to 'grind' tech tree ships quicker - to equip them faster, etc - isn't this one of the 'classic' ways to spend money in WoWS?

What kind of 'issue' is this? I would venture to suggest you don't know what 'setting priorities' you are talking about 😁.