Port slots and Battle Passes

SunkCostFallacy

I just noticed something in the current Battle Pass ... something which I found more than a little concerning.

The free part of the pass doesn't contain a Port Slot.

Remember that we used to be able to earn free Port Slots through the daily/weekly/etc missions before we were moved onto the Battle Pass system.

I tried doing some research on the complete rewards of past Battle Passes, rather than the abbreviated rewards (ooh look - shiny!) that WG have been posting in the news ... but to be honest I haven't been very successful.

Has anyone kept track, or do they know of someone/somewhere which has kept track, of the rewards for Battle Passes ... because I'm very curious if this is an indication of the future or just an anomaly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

Has anyone kept track, or do they know of someone/somewhere which has kept track, of the rewards for Battle Passes ... because I'm very curious if this is an indication of the future or just an anomaly.

Only recall the two most recent events both only giving port slots with the 'enhanced' rewards. I wouldn't greatly be surprised if this trend continues.

You have a very apt name SunkCost! WG progressive premium container tactics absolutely smack of abusing this psyche. While it's clear as day what they are doing for some it's a trap others will clearly fall in to.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes they have within the last 6 months massively slashed the availability of port slots. There was *some* wiggle room in that usually you were having an early access where you got 3-4 low tier ships that would turn into port slots for a couple of those passes. However its been quite a while since the old version of the battle pass where you had a port slot every 10 progress levels and there were usually ~30-40 levels in the pass.

And yeah they are being exceedingly coy with the scrooge tactics on port slots. I've just been farming silver and very slowly chipping at upper tiers of tech trees for the past few months because I do not have the space to rush entirely different tech trees and hold onto the ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I currently have lots of vacant port slots from past years, though not enough if I wanted to get like 500 ships or so. The newer players are the ones who are most affected by this, though.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I just noticed something in the current Battle Pass ... something which I found more than a little concerning.

Remember that we used to be able to earn free Port Slots through the daily/weekly/etc missions before we were moved onto the Battle Pass system.

I tried doing some research on the complete rewards of past Battle Passes, rather than the abbreviated rewards (ooh look - shiny!) that WG have been posting in the news ... but to be honest I haven't been very successful.

I can understand the concern, because a player may be strictly "free-to-play" or simply thrifty.

Personally, I'm not worrying about it.  I purchase port-slots (and Reserve Barracks slots) if I happen to need them.
Normally I accumulate port-slots here or there via the normal course of playing the game.
At the moment I have a small suprlus of both (port slots and reserve barracks slots).

• Like 1

Yes port-slots can be a problem for us new players. I find it even more of a problem that there is only one slot for a backup captain.
But as a WoT player I am used to that. And compared to WoT with the number of slots for the ships you start with in WoWs with, you are quite well of compared to WoT.
And in the end it is not a really a problem because you can get dublons for free by playing the game. So youn can buy some slots one after the other.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ShasoDan said:

Yes port-slots can be a problem for us new players. I find it even more of a problem that there is only one slot for a backup captain.
But as a WoT player I am used to that. And compared to WoT with the number of slots for the ships you start with in WoWs with, you are quite well of compared to WoT.
And in the end it is not a really a problem because you can get dublons for free by playing the game. So youn can buy some slots one after the other.

You also can get them very occasionally from crate drops.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

You also can get them very occasionally from crate drops.

I just got one from one of the crate drops this past week.

• Like 1

Thanks for that guys.

It's not particularly an issue for me ... I have over 30 port slots at the moment and several ships that I could sell if I needed to free up more ... for example the four CVs that WG have chucked into my port.

But it would suck for new players and it does reflect poorly on WG.

Think of it as just another straw

• Like 1

Hi all,

On 10/20/2024 at 4:32 AM, SunkCostFallacy said:

And exactly one year ago we also lost the "Research Points" in the "Battle Pass"... 😞

I raised that question several times in pas year in official WG WoWs Discord... but nothing...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

And exactly one year ago we also lost the "Research Points" in the "Battle Pass"... 😞

I raised that question several times in pas year in official WG WoWs Discord... but nothing...

Leo "Apollo11"

The path to earning Research Bureau points remains a little confusing, for me.
But, I do know it involves using credits and FreeXP or a lot of ship-grinding via game-play to earn RB points.

Do the Battle/Event passes still provide FreeXP?

Additionally, the exact content of the Battle/Event passes seems to change every time a new one is revealed.
I'm guessing that WOWs is constantly tinkering with them to determine what players will be willing to spend 2,500 doubloons for.

I have like 65 ships. I have almost 70 empty port slots. I'm not worried about removing them from battle pass lol 

11 minutes ago, mashed68 said:

I have like 65 ships. I have almost 70 empty port slots. I'm not worried about removing them from battle pass lol 

That might work for you but I have ~120 ships and only 4 empty slots at the moment. I personally do care about having a lack of slots. And the recent passes have effectively replaced port slots with skins that only are potentially interesting if you already have the ship in question. And since quite a few of the skins they hand out on the free side of the pass are for the T6-T8 stretch of ships the long term value for a player base that heavily stuck in T10 is lower than a port slot. So they are getting away with handing out skins that a majority will not use much in place of port slots that newer players would find significantly more useful long term. Thereby also making it harder to get more rewards out of flake events.

They are doing it this way because the older part of the player base isn't really cognizant of how it hamstrings newer accounts potential rewards at anniversary and Christmas. They just shrug, take a skin or some consolation RNG box tokens and move on, meanwhile newer accounts are stiffed on building a balanced collection. And too many fall into the trap of selling mid tiers to finance entry into T10 because they lack credits AND slots.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Kynami said:

That might work for you but I have ~120 ships and only 4 empty slots at the moment. I personally do care about having a lack of slots. And the recent passes have effectively replaced port slots with skins that only are potentially interesting if you already have the ship in question. And since quite a few of the skins they hand out on the free side of the pass are for the T6-T8 stretch of ships the long term value for a player base that heavily stuck in T10 is lower than a port slot. So they are getting away with handing out skins that a majority will not use much in place of port slots that newer players would find significantly more useful long term. Thereby also making it harder to get more rewards out of flake events.

They are doing it this way because the older part of the player base isn't really cognizant of how it hamstrings newer accounts potential rewards at anniversary and Christmas. They just shrug, take a skin or some consolation RNG box tokens and move on, meanwhile newer accounts are stiffed on building a balanced collection. And too many fall into the trap of selling mid tiers to finance entry into T10 because they lack credits AND slots.

That's kind of interesting, because when it comes to new players (or rather new accounts), WG initially throws a lot of freebies at them.... hoping they get hooked, maybe, and apparently if and once they do get hooked, starts squeezing every little penny out of them if they can. If that's a business model, I can't say I'm very fond of such a business model.

Since I'm one of that 'older part of the player base' my PoV on all this is likely different, and I wouldn't and I am not going along with WG's monetizing schemes being extremely picky about when and how I would spend on WoWS. How do you newer players cope with this situation?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kynami said:

T6-T8 stretch of ships the long term value for a player base that heavily stuck in T10 is lower than a port slot. 

And too many fall into the trap of selling mid tiers to finance entry into T10 because they lack credits AND slots.

T6-8 are where its at, tier 10 sucks. 
As for selling ships, its an excellent idea. I did it with all the tech lines for the first year or so, because I had to if I wanted the next ship. I don't get why so many people have a problem with it. You do it every time you reset a line. Plenty of tech tree ships I grinded but have no interest in playing randomly for fun too. Same goes for using steel for coal stuff, when nothing steel is worth it to you but coal stuff is, use what you have. Too many people that take this game way too serious. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mashed68 said:

I don't get why so many people have a problem with it. You do it every time you reset a line.

There is a rather significant difference between line resets and just selling ships to get to the next one. For a line reset you are getting Research Points for regrinding the line and additionally all of those modules are being unequipped and put back in your inventory for no extra charge. Selling ships outside of line resets is ruinous to an account's flake income because you really should never be selling anything T8+ outside of a line reset. You lose millions of credits in modules doing that. Or you get absolutely soaked for hundreds of doubloons. And when the twice yearly events that reward large fleets come up having a wide selection of upper tier ships means you get more shots at the desired prizes. Especially since this last anniversary they massively shifted the flake counts out of T10 into the T9 and T8 ships.

2 hours ago, Kynami said:

Well, if you have no real-world cash to buy doubloons, then I can understand how getting port-slots and reserve barracks slots is a concern.

That said, when I was a new player, I simply purchased the slots I needed, plus some extra for anticipated future use.

The choice is yours, of course.

Edited to add:  Occasionally, port slots go "on sale" for reduced prices.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

If only War Failing allowed players to sell excess port slots to others who need them, well, wouldn't War Failing get some karma points? Don't hold your breath 😒.

Replacing all the good stuff with useless permanent camos.  Been a huge uptick in those, even on the Premium Event Pass. Main reason why I stopped buying it.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2024 at 6:53 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

I currently have lots of vacant port slots from past years, though not enough if I wanted to get like 500 ships or so. The newer players are the ones who are most affected by this, though.

I remember the old days when port slots (and captain reserve slots) showed up in containers and missions fairly often. Now I have more than I will ever need, and I feel sorry for newer players who don't get these easily.