Was WoWS a better game back then or is it a better game now?

Admiral_Karasu

14 hours ago, Elijah2159 said:

I've seen Ahskance on here and I'm pretty sure that WG is lurking this forum like they do the WOWS reddit

If so, they are doing so on their own time and without any need to pass on what is said here (probably no inclination, either).  The official Forums came with that responsibility from the CMs as they were the domain of WG, but that time has passed. 

So when people write 'WG should do X' here, all they are doing now is seeing if other players agree with them, rather than any actual expectation WG will receive their words.  As long as that's the case, all well and good.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Is there really a difference between them not being here reading it...and them being there reading it and deliberately ignoring it?

I, for one, find their absence to be the best part of this forum. There is no need to have to conform to a 'party line' that was somewhat arbitrary. Plus, we don't have to deal with the toxicity flowing out of the need to drive sales with forum content...rather than just being able to honestly share about the game.

I suppose the difference is between your expectations of someone who receives a letter and throws it away and someone who never gets the letter in the first place.

I've also never heard WG was driving sales by forum content.  Discord content maybe, but I can't think of any sales efforts that were done on the forums.  It was all in-game monetization or website articles.

Anyway, just don't want people here to think they have WGs ear when the phone line was cut with the end of the official Forums.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

Anyway, just don't want people here to think they have WGs ear when the phone line was cut with the end of the official Forums.

Agreed, but I think the phone line was cut well before the end of the Forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakob Knight said:

If so, they are doing so on their own time and without any need to pass on what is said here (probably no inclination, either).  The official Forums came with that responsibility from the CMs as they were the domain of WG, but that time has passed. 

So when people write 'WG should do X' here, all they are doing now is seeing if other players agree with them, rather than any actual expectation WG will receive their words.  As long as that's the case, all well and good.

That's an interesting assumption that they do so on their own time.

I suspect you are just speculating...which makes it pretty pointless to discuss, IMO.

I suppose the difference is between your expectations of someone who receives a letter and throws it away and someone who never gets the letter in the first place.

I've also never heard WG was driving sales by forum content.  Discord content maybe, but I can't think of any sales efforts that were done on the forums.  It was all in-game monetization or website articles.

Another speculation...though one less hard to swallow. The whole PURPOSE of social media platforms for games is to act as part of the game's advertising.

I think the key point here is that we provide advertising for the true state of the game...in a sense, we are competing with WGs platforms for attention.

If we provide BETTER suggestions and content than WGs own platforms...that is something that will be good for us and potentially good for WG...if they want to swallow their pride and benefit from it.

The beauty of a forum is that our conversations here ARE recorded. So if WG staff actually do want to come read it...it is there for them to be read.

The discord platform WG has chosen will bury a bunch of useful information that WG could benefit from if they chose to do so.

There may come a time when a WG staff member without good ideas will come here to read some of the ideas.

In that sense, there is value in assuming that WG might at some time in the future, read what is on this board.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I think the key point here is that we provide advertising for the true state of the game...in a sense, we are competing with WGs platforms for attention.

I think this forum group is not good advertising for WG because we illustrate how difficult and frustrating it is to play this game over the long term.  That could be a big turn-off for potential spenders lured by free to play.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I think this forum group is not good advertising for WG because we illustrate how difficult and frustrating it is to play this game over the long term.  That could be a big turn-off for potential spenders lured by free to play.  

Advertising the truth...it's not always good for sales.

It is good for understanding how to bring up sales...but WG doesn't believe in learning from mistakes, apparently.

• Like 5

WG stopped listening to players on their own official forums YEARS ago; Reddit too. They then went and shut their official forums down, swapping to the mess and foolishness that is Discord, so as to hear EVEN LESS from their players.

So, why would you think any of us expect them to listen to what we have to say here on a 3rd party website started by the very players they have ignored for years now and purposely cutoff the official and effective communication platform for?

I don't get what you are trying to accomplish with this line of posting? We all know WG doesn't care what we think or say here. They don't care what players say or think ANYWHERE anymore.

• Like 4
  • Bored 1

I find it funny that some of you worry about WG employees surfing player made forums looking for anything. Why would they? This is a very, very small amount of the player base who post here. It’s even smaller because it’s the same 4 or 5 of you who constantly complain about any and everything WG does. You guys do realize that forums are pretty much just a place for frustrated players to vent? The amount of conspiracy theorist here is about on par for any small online community. I like how you guys think what you have to say matters at all to anyone else but you, granted it is good for a laugh now and then. 

• Like 1
  • Bored 2

15 minutes ago, pew_pew_magoo said:

I find it funny that some of you worry about WG employees surfing player made forums looking for anything. Why would they? This is a very, very small amount of the player base who post here. It’s even smaller because it’s the same 4 or 5 of you who constantly complain about any and everything WG does. You guys do realize that forums are pretty much just a place for frustrated players to vent? The amount of conspiracy theorist here is about on par for any small online community. I like how you guys think what you have to say matters at all to anyone else but you, granted it is good for a laugh now and then. 

Nice bait.

I don't see many people worried about WG surfing the forums.

I see people happy that WG isn't here spreading toxicity.

If you think forums exist only for frustrated players to vent...then you are missing most of the actual content posted here, just like most WG staff.

You could become part of the positive community if you like. There are plenty of interesting topics out here to discuss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bored 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I see people happy that WG isn't here spreading toxicity

You’s guys idea of toxicity and mine are way different. What toxicity is WG spreading? Maybe they do things you don’t like or agree with, but you’re still playing. I think a lot of you need negativity in your life or you’re just not happy. I’m sure you’s see it differently. That just the way what you post comes across to me as. 

• Thanks 1
  • Bored 3

18 minutes ago, pew_pew_magoo said:

What’s wrong with venting? If someone’s frustrated with a product, it would behoove a supplier to understand what’s wrong so they could fix it and make more money? Business 101 right there. 

18 minutes ago, pew_pew_magoo said:

I like how you guys think what you have to say matters at all to anyone else but you, granted it is good for a laugh now and then. 

Be careful, your logic can very quickly and effectively be used against you.

How so? Well, your apathy could be turned towards you, by us, and we could continue our line of thinking because we don’t care what you say. Perhaps use another mode of thought to sway our actions, instead of self defeating logic. 

• Like 1

Alright. Let's get back on topic of if the game was better.

If you both feel like the need to resolve your talk I ask you to carry it into PMs from here on and with that I will conclude the last word on this topic you two opened in this thread 🙂

Back on If the game was better in the past!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EXEC_HYMNE_Ar_tonelico said:

Back on If the game was better in the past!

No no no... you are framing it wrong. If you put it like that we will only need one word to reply. It's the same as with the 'So can Discord function well as a forum' thread on Discord.

By now, I think we all understand that this is a nuanced issue, with multiple points of view. I'm firmly in one camp myself, but I've noticed that some people see this differently. IMHO, their rational maybe a little... shaky or it appears as such to me if you start looking at the details...., but yes, let's be on topic, that much I will of course agree on.

7 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

but yes, let's be on topic, that much I will of course agree on

That's all I'm asking for and I don't mind anyone to explain in detail why the game was better in the past or to explain why they feel that the game is better now.

However we don't need to challenge each others views on the developers communication efforts on other platforms in this particular topic. We have other already existing topics for that.

The gameplay is not affected by how the developers engage the community. The gameplay is affected only if changes result due to these communications so the argument if the developer is engaging in a toxic way or not has not much to do with the topic at hand and does not answer the question of if the game is better now or in the past.

I will give my own stance on the topic soon but until then we can continue to challenge each other on our views without trying to stray to far away from gameplay reasons 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral_Karasu said:

Okay.. just one thing... what are the devs' 'cummicutive efforts'? image.gif.a203df35bf6067e74f39a8fa07a75d2c.gif

Thats a typo.... a very interesting one.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Jakob Knight said:

LOL, there was a connection? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think earlier in this games’ life was better, because there were far fewer hard counters to certain ships. Now? There’s some mechanics that you just have to “suck it up and deal with it” to counter the effects. That shouldn’t be a feature in a game… a pass time meant to reduce stress or increase happiness. That’s why I play a lot of dark souls now: I find it more fun than playing WoWs. Maybe my thinking and expectations are just too old fashioned for modern hyper-consumerism and tribalism. 

Edited by That WoT Player
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Gentlemen, keep it civil, or I break out the sharpened soup ladle.

Sharpened??  And here I thought that utensil was for when you wanted to be blunt or portion out punishment.

Yes, I am thinking that now I be very afraid, and will ensure my tongue will not incur additional karmic punishment from such enlightened methods of corporeal correction!

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The game has improved in many ways.

• Graphics.
  • Audio.
  • Commander skill rework.
  • Economy rework.

But it has also worsened in ways that far outweigh how it has improved.

• Submarines and their homing torpedo mechanic; not to mention the shotgun tactic.
  • Still no update to match making. There is no end to matches where you get to see the huge disparity of stats. One team is composed of happy go lucky potatoes, the other team is brimming with competent players, and is led by a 3-player division of purple players.