Expedition to the North Pole event.

Colonel Potter

3 minutes ago, Tricericon said:

I think it's meant to be read bottom to top.

Hmm, you may be right.

Only way to find out for sure is to start earning tokens and see what happens.

12 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

My reading of the situation differs.

Looking at it in the Armory, the first milestone is 10K. That's three Santa crates and a T8 ship.

The next milestone is 7500 and that's a T10 ship.

There are milestones AFTER THAT of 5000 (2 Santa crates), 2500 (a T10 festive permaskin) and 1000 tokens (1 Santa crate).

To get all of that needs another 16,000 tokens. Where all of those are going to come from, I do not know. Perhaps unannounced missions, perhaps container$?

I will have to see in-game.

That could be, but then it would be odd to have the 3 Santa crate stage first and the 1 crate stage last. If the rewards were successive, I’d expect the 3 Santa crates to be later, to encourage more grinding/spending.

Plus the info in the armory says “the earlier you start your path, the more chances you’ll have to reach the ultimate reward.” That would make more sense if they’re cumulative, since if you get more points early you don’t need to get as many later.

Plus if there were going to be other sources of the tokens, they’d at least be mentioned in passing in the expedition tokens section. Saying “brings you a maximum of/offer up to/obtain up to” reads like that’s all you can get. Which would make sense, that it’s either a grind over time to get the rewards or grind really hard to still have a chance at this main reward. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Yeah this is kind of confusing if you ask me. I tend to agree with Midnight's interpretation but Cthulhu's explanation makes sense too....

Anyone else wishing that instead of assigning us a tier 8 or 10 ship, that we could just pick any tech tree tier 8 or 10 ship? Tanks had a mechanic like that in place. For a reward, you could pick any tank from the tech tree of the appropriate tier... It is how I skipped over that miserable KV1.. 

7 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

My reading of the situation differs.

Looking at it in the Armory, the first milestone is 10K. That's three Santa crates and a T8 ship.

The next milestone is 7500 and that's a T10 ship.

There are milestones AFTER THAT of 5000 (2 Santa crates), 2500 (a T10 festive permaskin) and 1000 tokens (1 Santa crate).

To get all of that needs another 16,000 tokens after the first 10K. Where all of those are going to come from, I do not know. The first 7500 are from the short mega grind, but the rest? Perhaps unannounced missions, perhaps container$?

I will have to see in-game.

Yeah looking at the in game blurb the T8 is just a given. 13.8 2,500 token. 13.9 2,500 tokens, 13.10 5,000 tokens, 13.11 7,500 tokens. 7,500 tokens upgrades you to T10, cumulative, which seems weird since the first 3 rounds given enough for all the rewards, but each stage looks like it requires finishing the last set, so unless there is a currently unshown reward set that last 7,500 tokens seems superfluous.

2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Why do you consider T8-T10 tech tree ships a joke? The amount of grind and resources that would save someone who doesn't have said ships is massive. There is also a lot of other goodies to be had like Santa crates too. I suspect compensation for those like me who have all the ships will be pitiful as usual but for those who aren't and don't have the ships it will be a pretty good reward (IMHOA).

Everything doesn't have to be OP Premium ships and worth a ton of real $$$ to actually be a decent reward.

EDIT - let me add this after going and looking at the missions. Other than a couple lengthy BXP ones the missions are extremely easy. I finished 2 of the 3 missions for this update in a single game. It will take like 2 more and I will be done with it for this update. They get longer and harder as you move forward but you get an entire month to do the missions for that specific update. Easy doesn't describe it. Frankly from what I see for mission tasks and what the rewards are this is extremely generous. 

It boosts even more not learning to play a line until 10. So people just take tier 10 which they have no clue how to play since they skipped 9 tiers and they have less then 40% win rating, similar to these early access events.

3 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

It boosts even more not learning to play a line until 10. So people just take tier 10 which they have no clue how to play since they skipped 9 tiers and they have less then 40% win rating, similar to these early access events.

To me that is a separate issue vs the quality of the reward.

I have been playing WoWS since beta.

I have accumulated just over 200 ships total.  I can only play one ship at a time, never felt the need to grind all the lines.  Only the lines which contained ships that interested me.

I would not mind a Schlieffen if the event is not too onerous.  It is a reasonable quality ship, only limited by the current meta.

The Schileffen might well be upstaged now by the Tier X Pan-American battleship anyway as the premier secondary Tier X battleship.  I am considering grinding for the Pan-American Tier X battleship when it hits the tech tree.  Will watch further reviews as it becomes more commonplace.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

That could be, but then it would be odd to have the 3 Santa crate stage first and the 1 crate stage last. If the rewards were successive, I’d expect the 3 Santa crates to be later, to encourage more grinding/spending.

Plus the info in the armory says “the earlier you start your path, the more chances you’ll have to reach the ultimate reward.” That would make more sense if they’re cumulative, since if you get more points early you don’t need to get as many later.

Plus if there were going to be other sources of the tokens, they’d at least be mentioned in passing in the expedition tokens section. Saying “brings you a maximum of/offer up to/obtain up to” reads like that’s all you can get. Which would make sense, that it’s either a grind over time to get the rewards or grind really hard to still have a chance at this main reward. 

image.thumb.png.78a57bc2ffa5e16db2712b37646c9180.png

So Christmas rewards will drop closer to Christmas.

1 hour ago, Wulf_Ace said:

It boosts even more not learning to play a line until 10.

If Devs could find a way to make EVERYONE play T10 from the start, they would. The thing is in order for T10 to work as they intend, they need lower tiers to sell the 'scam'. So tiers lower than T10 exist only as a transit function in their design, in later years they have been just cutting the corners to make it easier to get into T10... that has always been the ultimate goal.

4 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

The 13.11 missions will probably be a grind though, since we'll only have 4 days to do it and it's over Thanksgiving weekend.

They're concurrent, and while 10K base a day average is a fairly big ask, it's not an impossible one. 

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Hmm, you may be right.

Only way to find out for sure is to start earning tokens and see what happens.

It's from the bottom up. I completed the first set of missions in a couple of Operation battles this morning and have already have check marks on the bottom two.

Edited by Colonel Potter
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Tricericon said:

I think it's meant to be read bottom to top.

By direct observation, I have confirmed that you are correct in this regard. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colonel Potter said:

It's from the bottom up. I completed the first set of missions in a couple of Operation battles this morning and have already have check marks on the bottom two.

Ninja'd! I just got out of battle myself, and have conceded this point in direct reply to Tricericon. 

• Thanks 1

As @Colonel Potter said it works from the bottom up.

Also, after you finish one of the waypoints (or whatever you want to call it) a little envelope appears and if you click on it there is a letter. I don't see that the letters get you anything, but we all know WG with their secret codes and hidden stuff (remember the Gingerbread men and having to play the song last Christmas which got us extra Santa crates) so read the letters and pay attention. They may just be fluff but who knows at this point.

spacer.png

This was the 1st envelope/letter...

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Capt_Kremenski said:

Can someone link me to a news article or tell me exactly where this is in the armoury?

I can't find anything!

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-138-9th-anniversary/#expedition-to-the-north-pole

Scroll down and look for the Expedition to the North Pole icon in the armory (on left right under the Research Bureau icon)

The missions appear on their own in the Common section of the Mission menu

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Same. I was pleased because getting the QE meant I had the direct stepping-stone to the KGV.

In addition to that, the time I played in the QE convinced me to pay to get the Warspite.  WG gifts a tech tree ship and the next thing you know, someone is shelling out for the premium version.  I like free stuff... any free stuff.  🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

You are correct and EC is mistaken. You only need the 10K tokens.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Capt_Kremenski said:

Can someone link me to a news article or tell me exactly where this is in the armoury?

I can't find anything!

image.thumb.png.90d12119c8a6a1d1affde0243f5b4d42.png

image.thumb.png.b736652c084658bd6b711fdd003229c5.png 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

So the last set of 7500 tokens is to turn your tier 8 into a tier 10, yes?

edit : No, wait.  You already get a tier 10 as the third reward, right?

Screenshot2024-09-12203204.png.ff49e15347c86cf21f49c1ce32ba4bd0.png

So what are the last 7500 tokens for?

Edited by Captain Slattery

Or maybe you have to spend the tokens on the milestones.  That would mean that you have to spend 8000 tokens just to get to the 4th milestone to then spend 7500 more tokens to get the tier 10 ship.

I would really like some clarity here.  I is cornfuzed.

confused.jpg.e187e9f7f9bc6f45e45e74fcbc4d2004.jpg

9 minutes ago, Captain Slattery said:

So the last set of 7500 tokens is to turn your tier 8 into a tier 10, yes?

edit : No, wait.  You already get a tier 10 as the third reward, right?

Screenshot2024-09-12203204.png.ff49e15347c86cf21f49c1ce32ba4bd0.png

So what are the last 7500 tokens for?

As I said in one of my earlier posts, I think the last 7500 are just a “you haven’t gotten any points the last three updates, but if you grind really hard these four days you can still get the t10” reward. If you complete the first three mission sets you’ll have enough to get everything, but that gives people who didn’t play as much (or at all on one or more patches) a chance to get the missing tokens. 

2 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

As I said in one of my earlier posts, I think the last 7500 are just a “you haven’t gotten any points the last three updates, but if you grind really hard these four days you can still get the t10” reward. If you complete the first three mission sets you’ll have enough to get everything, but that gives people who didn’t play as much (or at all on one or more patches) a chance to get the missing tokens. 

Oh.  That would be nice of them.  Thanks.  🙂