New FOMO Event announced Steel Will

Gnirf

I have steel earned over 5 years from SC's Santa crates, daily missions/battle pass/event pass and dockyards.

I only ever buy a steel ship when I have a coupon. Twice a year. Which means that ever since I bought my first steel ship (Stalingrad) I have paid full price for every coal ship I have acquired since then.

Discipline.

Screenshot 2024-09-03 154731.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

buy a steel ship when I have a coupon

Yeah this is a big help. I usually save it for Steel ships too. Coal is so easy to get and builds so fast I would rather pay full price using it than Steel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Are you spending steel on coal ships? Or not keeping all your T8 tech tree ships? 

Since they added steel to the Christmas flakes I'm usually pulling in roughly 10k per year just with that. Tried looking you up just for data but I don't think this was the correct account. 

Screenshot_20240903-002251.png

Im pretty sure im NOT Super Unicum, but those are my "Special Captains" at the bottom ....... 😉🙂

I think I have solved the mystery. Ive been bad at keeping my T8´s when grinding up the all the lines due to shortage of credits from time to time, so I should probably focus on re-buying all the T8´s then.

I think I also might have used some 4000 steel at one time to get the Tromp (Coal), when I was a bit short.

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

Definitely work on buying back the T8 and T9 ships you have sold while grinding past them. That steel, while small numbers individually, add up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

Definitely work on buying back the T8 and T9 ships you have sold while grinding past them. That steel, while small numbers individually, add up.

Guess it depends how much silver one has nowadays, if the situation is still dire in that regard well...

From this vague info in update notes I think will not spend my steel with coupon on current steel ships... Will Oranje and Hoffman even return at the later date? Wouldn't want to miss limited time available ships on main main account where I buy and grind almost everything. However, not going to bother with this event on my free to play accounts.

Hopefully, steel camos will return too. Only bought them for Shikishima, Bourgone and Ragnar last time, but I kinda want them all lol

5 hours ago, Aragathor said:

As someone who actively buys steel ships, this event is a gut punch. Especially since the wording makes the Chikuma 2, Oranje, and Hoffmann, sound like one time offers.

It's mean what WG is doing to people who don't hoard steel or who are just average players. I won't be buying the Svea. I might be able to afford one of the 3 exclusive event ships, but not more.

5 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Plus they wait until events like this are basically on us to let us know what the details are. They don't like us to be able to plan ahead. LOL. I think this leads to hoarding more than anything. People don't dare spend because they might miss out on something down the road that WG keeps secret like they are the CIA.

I don't "hoard" resources, but I do try to save up enough of each resource (coal, steel, Research Bureau points) to cover TWO ships.  Once I have that I am open to buying something that interests me, and I will still have enough remaining in the event WG introduces a limited time FOMO event (kind of like this one) with another ship that interests me.

I cleaned out a lot of resources for Kitakami last Christmas.  It was an interesting sale option since I could choose which resources I wanted to splurge with.  She was certainly expensive!  But, I knew she was going to be a very rare offering and I was only spending in-game resources.  I didn't want to squander my steel, either, so I burned all my coal  and Research Bureau points, and maybe some premium time to reach the goal.

I only earn steel through free means, so I am pretty tight with it.  As said by others, I don't buy a steel ship unless I have a coupon.  I would NEVER convert steel to coal.  Steel is too hard to acquire and coal is too easy.

• Like 1

Is any of the 3 announced ship good? Can't remember seeing any videos on either of them.

6 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I would also assume they are smart enough not to exchange Steel for Coal which is one of the biggest rip offs in this game.

It's good to be able to have the option, if a coal ship that everyone agrees is a must-have is going to get pulled, you don't have quite enough coal the night before, and it's either do or die. But even then, you should think very carefully about it before you make that conversion. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Steel will what?

"Steel, Will Robinson!  Steel!"
GettyImages-103203083-5b74a7f.jpg?qualit 

Conan's father teaches him about "the riddle of steel" in the movie "Conan the Barbarian".
1*y2WqgurG2JWaiY2MlUC6ww.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1 

https://conan.fandom.com/wiki/The_Riddle_of_Steel

u/BillybobThistleton had some really good thoughts on this a few days ago:

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?

The strength of steel is nothing compared to the will of man. If a man has a blade of the finest steel that can be forged, but has no will, no drive, no vision - then what is he? What use is he? He is only a tool to be wielded by a man of greater will, just as the blade in his hand is a tool.

A steel blade is not power. The skill to wield a blade is not power. The will to command men who wield those blades - that is true power. And the first man you must command is yourself, for if you are not your own master then someone else is.

When Conan began his search for Thulsa Doom, he thought only of vengeance. Beyond that, he was as empty as one of Doom's cultists, though he did not realise it. He was sent on his way by a king's command, by the offer of wealth, and by a dream of vengeance - but all of these things are shallow and paltry; they fade quickly from thought and memory.

If Conan had slain Thulsa Doom when first they met, he would have taken King Osric's jewels and frittered them away on wine and women, pursuing shallow pleasures, then gone on to live the life of a simple mercenary, to die unmourned in a battle soon forgotten.

But on the Tree of Woe, Conan was able to contemplate the truth that Doom had given him. He was able to understand his own weakness, and Doom's true strength, and to rise up with true strength in his heart. Until he hung from the tree, everything Conan had done had been reactive - following the path that others had laid out for him, from the slave-master to Subotai to Valeria to Osric. But after the tree he understood his true role, and his true potential. He was able to reject all masters, even Crom - to whom he prayed, not to plead or beg, but to demand what he was owed.

And then, when he went to kill Doom, he went not in disguise, nor in shadow or secret. He went to face Doom as an equal, before his assembled throngs of worshipers. If Thulsa Doom was a god, then only a god could kill him - but Conan rejected that divinity, rejected his followers, burned down the temple.

And then he went on to become a king by his own hand, because he understood his true strength was not the blade in his hand, but the ambition in his heart.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFiction/comments/8bi8bu/comment/dx6wgnb/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Im pretty sure im NOT Super Unicum, but those are my "Special Captains" at the bottom ....... 😉🙂

I think I have solved the mystery. Ive been bad at keeping my T8´s when grinding up the all the lines due to shortage of credits from time to time, so I should probably focus on re-buying all the T8´s then.

I think I also might have used some 4000 steel at one time to get the Tromp (Coal), when I was a bit short.

Lol, funny what ads you can get after your wife goes shopping, I tend to ignore all ads so I didn't even notice or I'd have cropped that out. 

T8s and T9s since T10/11 have given tokens for Santa Crates. If definitely makes a big difference. 

Ouch 4k is a big spend, when I think about the coal I assume I can earn 2k per day year round just with resource crates. Steel is closer to 30 per day with the event pass. 

5 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Guess it depends how much silver one has nowadays, if the situation is still dire in that regard well...

Silver is also something you can grind daily, it's something you can easily map out how much you'll need in time for the Christmas patch. With the new snowflakes system you won't even need to equip a capt or equipment. 

1 hour ago, GandalfTehGray said:

With the new snowflakes system you won't even need to equip a capt or equipment. 

Even in the old system, you could spawn a free zero-point captain in the ship and take her out in co-op without equipment fitted to get the win, then stuff the captain into the woodchipper afterwards. 

At some point, after several falls to credit levels in the low hundred thousands, I took the attitude that a new ship wasn't going to get bought unless I had enough credits to leave several million in the bank after purchase and equipment. The number of left-over credits I was prepared to accept as a minimum just kept rising somehow, and I'm currently at 155 million. Much of that is earmarked for tech tree acquisitions and for buying back the IJN gunboat DDs to farm RB points.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Are you spending steel on coal ships? Or not keeping all your T8 tech tree ships? 

Since they added steel to the Christmas flakes I'm usually pulling in roughly 10k per year just with that. Tried looking you up just for data but I don't think this was the correct account. 

Screenshot_20240903-002251.png

I see that Middle Earth has shown you some rather interesting ads, complete with tantalizing discounts. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Even in the old system, you could spawn a free zero-point captain in the ship and take her out in co-op without equipment fitted to get the win, then stuff the captain into the woodchipper afterwards. 

At some point, after several falls to credit levels in the low hundred thousands, I took the attitude that a new ship wasn't going to get bought unless I had enough credits to leave several million in the bank after purchase and equipment. The number of left-over credits I was prepared to accept as a minimum just kept rising somehow, and I'm currently at 155 million. Much of that is earmarked for tech tree acquisitions and for buying back the IJN gunboat DDs to farm RB points.

You could yes, but that's still a lot of clicking if you bought something like 20 ships. Now they just need to exist in your port. 

The last time I got below 200 was asymmetric available for the first time. Iirc I finished the Lion, Conquerer, Zietan to Schlieffen grinds and maybe even the Jinain? Since then they've had multiple events with credit grinds so I'm around 360 million atm. That'll go down soon to buy Castilla and the T8 after the Uganda. 

Long term though the superships would wipe me out. 

16 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

That's a lot. Do you play modes that give Steel or do you get it through other means like I do? How many Steel and Coal ships do you have?

Lately only Ranked, cause my clan lo longer has a Clan Battle team, many players left.

Also had Plymouth and Forrest but exchanged them for other ships in the past event....

Those I don't have:

Coal.png

Steel.png

22 minutes ago, 22 cm said:

Lately only Ranked, cause my clan lo longer has a Clan Battle team, many players left.

Also had Plymouth and Forrest but exchanged them for other ships in the past event....

Those I don't have:

Coal.png

Steel.png

Nice. Congrat's on all the ships.

I have every Coal ship available. I even got the damn Sub U4501 or whatever it is a month or so ago (even though I don't play Sub ever) just to use some Coal up and for an extra flake ship. I am missing these Steel ships...

spacer.png

• Komissar = no interest in a T10 Kirov
  • Austin = if I want that kind of playstyle I have San Diego (but of these ships it would be the one I would take 1st - just not interested)
  • Gato = it's a Sub, which I do not and will not play, so absolutely not. Right now it's the only one in game I don't have but I won't use Steel for flake ships.
  • Z-42 & Ragnar = not a big DD player so not using Steel for a DD
  • Vallejo = not using Steel for what is basically a T9 Worcester (which I have and seldom play)

I will just sit on the Steel until they release a ship that interests me.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

I see that Middle Earth has shown you some rather interesting ads, complete with tantalizing discounts. 

It's not just power that the ring tempts one with. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, GandalfTehGray said:
1 hour ago, Frostbow said:

It's not just power that the ring tempts one with. 

😄 

21 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

You could yes, but that's still a lot of clicking if you bought something like 20 ships. Now they just need to exist in your port. 

You could redeem multiple ships with a single battle last year, but you needed to do very well in Randoms to grab the highest ring, so to speak. This year's method is super-easy even for co-op, and will provide great incentive to go on filling that bar and chunking through all the flakes - six at a time, in my case. 

I have just under 500 ships. A few of them are low tier, but let's assume the worst-case scenario that all of them need a flake knocked off (the safest approach). 500 divided by 6 is 83,333.333... recurring, so the worst case is that I have to fill the bar 84 times. By a coincidence, 84,000 base XP divided by 28 days in a patch is exactly 3000 Base XP per day.

I will probably get through that just playing my daily grind ships, let alone whatever else I play to finish the Dockyard.