New FOMO Event announced Steel Will

Gnirf

image.thumb.png.0e48ebf81c5c7dc7100d921495253c51.png

In todays next update event somewhat hidden is the announcement of a new steel will event.

I wonder if it means that they all will be purchaseble only for steel. If so with Svea coming now which I naturally will buy directly (as a Swede) the other 3 ships are another thing. 3 ships that only will be purchaseble during this event and two more that will be added later. Chikuma was purchaseble for doubloons earlier. But the others what currencies? Will really take a toll of the steel stores. 

By a coincidence this takes place during christmas.  Well we have a few months to hoard if we want any of these, I guess.

• Like 2

Chikuma 2 we have seen, it's in the game, and it is a known quantity. A quick Youtube search shows plenty of videos about her.

The others, we know nothing about except some stats; and while I think Svea to be a highly desirable box of tricks, I consider the best course of action to be farming my Christmas steel snowflakes then sitting on my hands and waiting to see what the others are like and what they will cost. If nothing more is known by the time my coupon expires (28 November), I will use my current coupon to grab Svea, which by that time will be well-established in the game with her strengths and weaknesses well understood.

Steel is meant to be used, not just hoarded. It's a natural thing to put on a steel event at a time when people are going to be flush with it. The responsibility for making sure they're buying a ship which is right for them lies with them.

• Like 2
  • Bored 1

Thankfully none of the ships really interest me all that much, G. Hoffmann might be the only exception, but that will depend on the stats of the release version, they changed her quite a bit so far. I really hoped they would release Svea for coal (when was the last time we got a good or at least interesting coal ship?) or RB points, so far she doesn't look like she's worth the steel. Also what happened to Brennus btw., lost in development hell?

• Like 2

As a fellow Swede I would also Love to have SVEA for that purpose, but 30 K Steel for a non-comp player is way too rich for my blood. I saw Maltas video on it and Im not sure it will be as great as I first thought. Being a smoke cruiser without hydro, especially in these times when new Cassard line is releasing is questionable to say the least, especially with its short duration radar and short-range guns.

It will be a prime target for every torp boat out there.

He said it "might" have the same "magic protection" as Smolensk (only over pens on broadside) but im not that sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

30 K Steel for a non-comp player is way too rich for my blood.

I'm overwhelmingly a co-op player, as you know. I get a steel ship every year (at most) or two, my steel coming overwhelmingly from snowflakes and the unpaid tracks of battle passes. My last steel ship was the Z-42, last Christmas.

I like to buy ships that I find interesting and different, not necessarily strong in all modes, and Svea falls into my want list very neatly, absence of hydro notwithstanding. To me, she's the offspring of a Smaland and a Friesland that had a torrid one-night stand and then fed the baby growth hormones.

I'm not super-enthusiastic about anything else there that I haven't yet got, so Svea's arrival is very welcome. I must admit, she's the sort of "weird and wonderful" ship I thought might better have been put into the Research Bureau, but I have other plans for that resource and I'm glad she's not competing for it. 

7 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I'm overwhelmingly a co-op player, as you know. I get a steel ship every year (at most) or two, my steel coming overwhelmingly from snowflakes and the unpaid tracks of battle passes. My last steel ship was the Z-42, last Christmas.

I like to buy ships that I find interesting and different, not necessarily strong in all modes, and Svea falls into my want list very neatly, absence of hydro notwithstanding. To me, she's the offspring of a Smaland and a Friesland that had a torrid one-night stand and then fed the baby growth hormones.

I'm not super-enthusiastic about anything else there that I haven't yet got, so Svea's arrival is very welcome. I must admit, she's the sort of "weird and wonderful" ship I thought might better have been put into the Research Bureau, but I have other plans for that resource and I'm glad she's not competing for it. 

Then you and I must get totally different economics from WG. I have played since close Beta and I play 99% Randoms where I fare quite well but that said I got steel to by Somers back in the day and now just recently I got enough to buy Gato with the coupon, and that's in 9 years almost playing on the daily?! And I have finished all the old campaigns, all the free battle passes and knocked of all the snowflakes that matter each year....

I usually also like to buy ships that are interesting and not necessary strong. Tromp, Kearsarge, Loyang, Karl Johan are examples of this, but when it comes to currency im in short supply of like steel I would probably go for Bourgogne or Ragnar before Svea.

Ive been playing the powerhouse Jinan lately and there you really feel the problem with being a smoke farming HE spammer with 16 km range and NO HYDRO.

I think it was Flamu that dubbed Svea the "Super Ragnar"!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I think it was Flamu that dubbed Svea the "Super Ragnar"!

With torpedoes as well as guns and radar, she's more of a Super Smaland to me.

34 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Then you and I must get totally different economics from WG.

Like I said, my fleet is fairly large and most of my steel comes from the flakes. I've gotten lucky with steel supercontainers from time to time, and they have been critical at particular moments but do not contribute the overwhelming balance. Ranked contributes maybe a few hundred a year, some comes from completed dockyards (I do not use boosters) and I haven't played Clan Battles in I don't know how long. My clan base is maxed out, so I do get an additional small percentage. 

I don't get it. Any PvP main who's been around as long as I have should have much more steel than me.

13.11 should be the Christmas patch right...

We probably have snowflake in similar style as previous year, maybe slightly nerfed maybe staying the same.

As far as I can recall the last steel will event the 25% off coupon cannot be applied, so this is probably be the same case.

Would be a rough choice for me, whether to save the steel for this steel will event or spend it for a T10 boat in upcoming anniversary. (I will probably collect enough steel from 15 wins in bronze ranked and Christmas snowflake for another boat with 25% off coupon)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Steel will

Will. Force, desire, drive, etc, as in "the will to succeed".

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

but 30 K Steel for a non-comp player is way too rich for my blood.

Playing Ranked and Clan Battles is not required anymore to gather Steel in good quantities. That just lets you get more than those who don't play those modes but it is not required to gather good amounts of Steel. With the advent of flake events and the ability to gather Steel in things like Dockyards it makes the resource accessible and easy to acquire for non-competitive mode players. Steel is easy to get like Coal is now frankly. Not as easy obviously but still very easy.

I am a Co-op main who barely touches Randoms never mind Ranked and Clan Battles. I literally have never played a single Ranked or Clan Battles match EVER! Yet I have had no trouble acquiring Steel in good amounts and thus many Steel ships. I just make sure I grab it when available via other options. I also have been lucky and have got quite a few 1500 Steel SC's as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And, I also want to add, when I got Flint it was for Steel. It isn't shown above but that is what I used to get it (2018 during the 1st Christmas flake event).

So not playing Ranked and/or Clan Battles means nothing as far as having 30K Steel for the upcoming event or not. You don't have to do that to get it.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Will. Force, desire, drive, etc, as in "the will to succeed".

Yes, but I still don't know what it wills, though. Probably after my money....

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Steel will what?

It's do you have the "Will" Power not to spend all your Steel on the event. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

It's do you have the "Will" Power not to spend all you Steel on the event. 

Will power not to spend. Got it, cheers!

• Like 2

If what they're offering is what you want (after careful research), there's no reason not to spend it. 

One day either the game will die or you will die, and then all your unspent steel will taunt you with the ships you could have bought and the fun you could have had with them. 🤪

I'm the first person to warn against getting everything just because it's there, but I give everything due consideration even if I know the answer will be nyet.

• Like 2

Oh goody!  I can get ships I never heard of.

Well, Chikuma for her very pretty sister.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 22 cm said:

Screenshot 2024-09-03 044108.png

That's a lot. Do you play modes that give Steel or do you get it through other means like I do? How many Steel and Coal ships do you have?

7 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

If what they're offering is what you want (after careful research), there's no reason not to spend it. 

One day either the game will die or you will die, and then all your unspent steel will taunt you with the ships you could have bought and the fun you could have had with them. 🤪

I'm the first person to warn against getting everything just because it's there, but I give everything due consideration even if I know the answer will be nyet.

Naturally I spend the steel but it is different when the ships are added one at a time and there suddenly several comes with the Fomo threat looming. I just want to be able to take one at the time after some careful choice. I know that I can not have all steel ships but it is a difference when they are sent to the armory afterwards or are limited run only.

i agree that the game will die in some future so why do they drop event after event which makes you hoard resources instead of spending them?

it is pixels after all. No I do not want a lecture on market techniques,I know them. Does not mean that I as a top customer for them has to like their methods.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Then you and I must get totally different economics from WG. I have played since close Beta and I play 99% Randoms where I fare quite well but that said I got steel to by Somers back in the day and now just recently I got enough to buy Gato with the coupon, and that's in 9 years almost playing on the daily?! And I have finished all the old campaigns, all the free battle passes and knocked of all the snowflakes that matter each year....

Are you spending steel on coal ships? Or not keeping all your T8 tech tree ships? 

Since they added steel to the Christmas flakes I'm usually pulling in roughly 10k per year just with that. Tried looking you up just for data but I don't think this was the correct account. 

Screenshot_20240903-002251.png

As someone who actively buys steel ships, this event is a gut punch. Especially since the wording makes the Chikuma 2, Oranje, and Hoffmann, sound like one time offers.

It's mean what WG is doing to people who don't hoard steel or who are just average players. I won't be buying the Svea. I might be able to afford one of the 3 exclusive event ships, but not more.

• Like 2

Seems like a lot people in the forums like to over think things and worry to much about spending there resources. I don't know but seems like if you like a ship buy it if you don't pass. I guess I can understand being worried about making a mistake but it seems pretty easy if you play the game to get more resources. I have over thought things before and let good ships go by now I can't get them and it's a bummer. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Are you spending steel on coal ships? Or not keeping all your T8 tech tree ships?

Since they added steel to the Christmas flakes I'm usually pulling in roughly 10k per year just with that. Tried looking you up just for data but I don't think this was the correct account. 

I got 18,910 Steel last year at Christmas from my SuperShips, T9's, and T8's. On top of that the 10% clan bonus added 1891 more for a total of 20,801 Steel from snowflakes. 

If you have a lot of T8+ ships at Christmas, you can get a LOT of Steel. 

In the 8th Anniversary event last year, I got 3000 Steel as I had Bayard already and got 2 1500 Steel drops from SC's. With the 10% clan bonus that netted me 6600 Steel.

I would think someone who has been playing WOWS as long as they claim to have would have a large fleet and thus have access to all this Steel? I would also assume they are smart enough not to exchange Steel for Coal which is one of the biggest rip offs in this game.

• Like 2

I ll decide if I get anything when I see what one can get and how exactly, I am long past the point of caring enough to go thorugh their posts trying to figure those events out in advance besides they can always change them or put in some "hidden flaw" that gets figured out down the road...

Also I fing most steel and coal ships these days rather meh tbh

Edited by Yedwy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

I ll decide if I get anything when I see what one can get and how exactly, I am long past the point of caring enough to go thorugh their posts trying to figure those events out in advance besides they can always change them or put in some "hidden flaw" that gets figured out down the road...

Also I fing most steel and coal ships these days rather meh tbh

Plus they wait until events like this are basically on us to let us know what the details are. They don't like us to be able to plan ahead. LOL. I think this leads to hoarding more than anything. People don't dare spend because they might miss out on something down the road that WG keeps secret like they are the CIA.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1