The End of the SS United States?

Lord_Slayer

Seems so. I haven't kept closed tables on the SS United States, so I don't know what the issue is, other than chronic shortage of money. What I don't get is when they've successfully converted many other ships into hotels, why is it so difficult to have come up with a scheme to do the same with her?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Seems so. I haven't kept closed tables on the SS United States, so I don't know what the issue is, other than chronic shortage of money. What I don't get is when they've successfully converted many other ships into hotels, why is it so difficult to have come up with a scheme to do the same with her?

There are a couple of issues.

First a bit of history, the ship was held as a 'national asset' in the mothball fleet post final cruise in 1968.
The ship had some classified design elements in it as when it was built, it had the potential to be a troop transport. Those elements were declassified in 1977 and a year later the ship was deemed 'worthless' and sold off.

The next owner purchased the ship in 1980, however his plans failed to materialize and the ship began to rot in place, damaging the interior.
In 1984, to pay creditors, the ships fittings and furniture were sold off.

Finally in 1992, the ship was seized and actioned off. The new company planned to operate the ship along with the QE2. From 93 to 94, the ship was in Ukraine being stripped of asbestos. The end result is the interior was stripped down to the bulkheads.

In 1996, the company went bankrupt and the United States was towed back to Philadelphia and essentially abandoned.

1997, new owner. Only thing of note to occur was placement on the National Register of Historic places.

2003, Norwegian Cruise line purchased the ship after the last owners passing. Norwegian planned to use the ship on a Hawaiian passenger service as US law only permits US built and manned ships to sail between US ports. In 2009 Norwegian's plans changed and talk began of scrapping the ship.

2011 The SS United States Conservancy purchases the United States, with the plan to de-toxify the ship and make it a floating hotel or some other development.

This begins years of trying to find a place for the ship and what it would become.

In 2016 another cruise line looked at potentially operating the ship, but then dropped the idea.

2021, the landlord for the dock space the United States is tied at raised the rent and also claims the ship is damaging the pier. The Conservancy denies the damage and also states they will not pay the increase in rent as it violates a previous agreement.

2024 Judge orders the United States eviction from the pier by September 12th.

Now to the issues:

Unlike the Queen Mary, Rotterdam, or other ships made hotels, the United States is empty. Her furniture and fittings were removed in the 80s. Further, her interiors were removed in the removal of asbestos. There is no evidence of her former cabins but marks on the floor and pipe openings.
A passageway with the footprint of 1st-class staterooms on the left.

Everything from her days as a passenger ship is gone. All the conservancy has is the empty hull. Even the bridge was stripped of the controls. That is why the Conservancy has been having the problem of moving forward with any plans. While the hull is sound, its still going to cost money to put an interior in the ship, and even then, unlike Queen Mary, it wont be the original. And as it is being rebuilt 'new', there also may be some new codes that must be followed. The Queen Mary is currently considered by the US Coast Guard to be a 'building'. As such it must confirm to local building codes. But as the interior is in place, the Queen Mary is grandfathered in on complying with some of those codes. The United States doesn't get that luxury.

Had the Conservancy gotten the ship in the 80s before items were sold off, they'd likely have had more success as a floating hotel. The interiors were in place, the furniture present, all it needed was some work and a spot to be moored to.

Edited by Lord_Slayer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

When my family returned from England in 1967, we sailed on the United States. A great ship, and I will be sad to see her go.

• Like 5

Nothing lasts forever..

Everything has an ending.

But the stages of life also applies to ships.

1. Birth
    • Christening
    • IF you have siblings You're the first and thus the oldest. Sometimes (as per the JFK class), you're the lone wolf and congress was stingy with spending.
  2. Work you like a slave for money.
    • Commissioning and service there after. 
  3. Retirement
    • Decommissioning
  4. Death
    • Sold for scrap for a penny.

Rinse and repeat.

Must ships, are rarely remembered other then their crew who serviced her.

But then, there's exception to the notion.

All we're reduced on both situations... Memories and photos of a bygone era.

So when we move on. We will be forgotten. Just like this ocean liners.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Nothing lasts forever..

Everything has an ending.

But the stages of life also applies to ships.

1. Birth
    • Christening
    • IF you have siblings You're the first and thus the oldest. Sometimes (as per the JFK class), you're the lone wolf and congress was stingy with spending.
  2. Work you like a slave for money.
    • Commissioning and service there after. 
  3. Retirement
    • Decommissioning
  4. Death
    • Sold for scrap for a penny.

Rinse and repeat.

Must ships, are rarely remembered other then their crew who serviced her.

But then, there's exception to the notion.

All we're reduced on both situations... Memories and photos of a bygone era.

So when we move on. We will be forgotten. Just like this ocean liners.

Well, I just don't like things changing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My father was a draftsman in creating this ship. We have a painting of the United States that is a family legacy. Age gets to all of us in the end. Time to let the patient go.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/31/2024 at 2:11 PM, Lord_Slayer said:

image.png.844c9fec9dd95f0bfbb2768870ec66df.png

image.png.a7a8712a532f4f29a95e7baed260858b.png

image.png.4ca3f28815c49c83ea23688f4e79e527.png

image.png.240d3893fe6f2f30475d5862ff2ef2c0.png

Sad to see this happen, I have seen her many times over the years driving through Philadelphia, most recently when I went to see the New Jersey in dry-dock.  Every time the paint on her funnels was a little more faded, the rust streaks more pronounced. Very sad 😔

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mom sailed to Europe on the SS United States to meet Dad when he was stationed in Germany during the late 1950s. She had a much nicer trip than Dad did on the USNS Patch, where nearly every soldier got seasick. When it was time to come back to the states, Mom and I flew. Dad said that the Patch was waiting at the dock for him.

By the late 60s, jet travel had taken over and few people took ships across the oceans unless they were on cruises. The SS United States hasn't carried passengers for 55 years and has been gutted and left to rust. It's high time it was scrapped. It's not like it's a historical warship or anything.

It ain't no United States!

full

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many years ago I read about the United States. What I found particularly interesting was that allegedly there was nothing made of wood on the whole ship, including the picture frames.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The SS United States hasn't carried passengers for 55 years and has been gutted and left to rust.

This sentence sums up everything.

RMS Queen Mary, RMS QE2, even the SS Rotterdam, they pretty much went from being in service to becoming a museum ship/Hotel (though Rotterdam did sit in lay up for several years).

The United States went from being in service, to the reserve fleet, and then into private ownership, who pretty much did nothing with the ship except let it rot and run up bills, which in turn were paid for by selling off the ships furnishings. Then it was left to rot further, before having her interior gutted for a potential career as a cruise ship before that fell through. She's become a classic car, but all you have is the exterior, frame, and engines. Everything else is gone and would need to be replaced.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1