Anniversary ship choices

Itwastuesday

So in the upcoming anniversary event, you can spend tokens for Rochester, or if you already have it, one of the following : Pyotr Bagration, Bayard, Borodino, Fenyang, Gascogne, Hampshire, Irian, Kidd, Le Terrible, Loyang, Ochakov, Orkan, Saipan, Siliwangi, Tiger'59, Vanguard, Wichita or Z-35.

Which one would you go for? To me the standout ships here are :

Borodino - communist radar on battleship and high pen guns

Bayard - great fun CL if you didn't get it for free earlier

Kidd - the most excellent destroyer ever

Terrible - Fantasque analogue but Fantasque is good

Orkan - diet Småland? OP? Dunno how it compares to Split. I'm kinda 60/40 on this and Borodino. 

Saipan - if you're missing your third Saipan

Vanguard - the last battleship ever built. I kinda want it for that alone. 

Wichita - love Wichita. To me it's the better Baltimore due to agility and stealth.

Z-35 - Guns. Seems potentially strong if unexciting? 

I have Hampshire and Fenyang. Wouldn't recommend over the other ships, but nice if you have everything else. Hampshire fires AP that's so gimmicked that it's essentially super SAP and it cracks destroyers in half, Fenyang is even after buffs a worse Akizuki, though in an intresting way and it's not bad. 

• Like 5

I have Rochester so I will pick another free Premium. I have Bayard, PeeBag, Fenyang, Kidd, Loyang, Vanguard since before. Was first looking at Le Terrible but now also at Borodino for that T8 BB/Radar combo (also Russian bias).

But if people dont have them and enjoy playing DDs I would really recommend Loyang and Kidd.

16 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

But if people dont have them and enjoy playing DDs I would really recommend Loyang and Kidd.

What's your take on Loyang? Does it do anything worthwhile? 

Unfortunately i don't have Rochester, but if i had, i would probably recommend/ get from the available ships: Bayard (which i have and is great fun, fast, agile ship with a main battery reload booster), Kidd, Loyang (5.5 km Hydro), Le Terrible, Pyotr Bagration (good for OPS), Irian (have her and she has great torpedos and  a torp reload booster, also very good for OPS). Would probably stay away from the Z 35, only 6 km torpedos and no speed boost.

16 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Unfortunately i don't have Rochester...

There's an Forlong hope of still getting it, just requires you to count all the received tokens very, very, carefully.

Keep the amount needed for Rochester itself in reserve, then spend as many as you can on SC crates (after getting the Pan-American Captain if interested in them)

This way, if you manage to get lucky an pull a Rochester you get free choise between the listed options, and if you don't -then you don't lose anything, just spend the tokens in particular order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I already said this but for the price of 1 premium ship you can get 2 premium ships.

First buy Rochester with doublons ( you can use also 25% discount price) before the patch.

Second now that you have Rochester you get him again and you get 100% discount for the purchase of another one.

And bam, you get Rochester and another premium ship for the price of one.

* this of course only make sense IF you want Rochester in the first place BUT this also means you can get Borodino for a cheaper price then would it take you to buy him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

What's your take on Loyang? Does it do anything worthwhile? 

For me its an amazing cap contester with its smoke and long range hydro. You always need to check list for radars and radar/hydro DDs ect but absent that you can pretty much shit on other DDs in cap, also since its one of the few Pan Asian DDs with normal torps.

Its also fun to try the short range torps that are faster and do very good damage since you have pretty decent conceal.

Old videos, but still.....

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

For me its an amazing cap contester with its smoke and long range hydro. You always need to check list for radars and radar/hydro DDs ect but absent that you can pretty much shit on other DDs in cap, also since its one of the few Pan Asian DDs with normal torps.

How well does it gunfight? Sorry for pestering you about this. 

6 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

So in the upcoming anniversary event, you can spend tokens for Rochester, or if you already have it, one of the following : Pyotr Bagration, Bayard, Borodino, Fenyang, Gascogne, Hampshire, Irian, Kidd, Le Terrible, Loyang, Ochakov, Orkan, Saipan, Siliwangi, Tiger'59, Vanguard, Wichita or Z-35.

Orkan - diet Småland? OP? Dunno how it compares to Split. I'm kinda 60/40 on this and Borodino. 

Wichita - love Wichita. To me it's the better Baltimore due to agility and stealth.

I have Hampshire and Fenyang. Wouldn't recommend over the other ships, but nice if you have everything else. Hampshire fires AP that's so gimmicked that it's essentially super SAP and it cracks destroyers in half, Fenyang is even after buffs a worse Akizuki, though in an intresting way and it's not bad. 

I have Bayard, Gascogne, Le terrible - great ships for me (if this helps)... 

2 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

How well does it gunfight?

She is literally Benson that loses one gun to get the hydro. So, 80% as well as a Benson.

And by literally I mean it; she is historically the actual Benson transferred to Taiwan. 

If you sink a Benson with your Lo Yang, you are literally killing yourself. 

• Like 2

Drat - I think I have all of those options already; I better see what the compensation rules are this time around...

Kidd, Orkan, and Lo Yang are probably my favourites of that lot for PvP.

• Like 1

If you have the Rochester already and you are trying to choose between the others, consider:

1) How it fits in with your existing fleet.

2) Who is going to command it.

1 minute ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

She is literally Benson that loses one gun to get the hydro. So, 80% as well as a Benson.

And by literally I mean it; she is historically the actual Benson transferred to Taiwan. 

If you sink a Benson with your Lo Yang, you are literally killing yourself. 

Yes, there are a few others like that too, sometimes the game throws you into rather absurd situations.

1 minute ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Yes, there are a few others like that too, sometimes the game throws you into rather absurd situations.

Nurnberg and Makarov, Giulio Cesare and Novorossiysk, Boise and Nueve de Julio come first to mind.

There are others, such as Alsace/Wujing and Izumo/Bajie, but they are non-historical. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Nurnberg and Makarov, Giulio Cesare and Novorossiysk, Boise and Nueve de Julio come first to mind.

There are others, such as Alsace/Wujing and Izumo/Bajie, but they are non-historical. 

As well as Gangut and Oktyabrskaya Revolyutsiya. And probably a few more.

4 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

I already said this but for the price of 1 premium ship you can get 2 premium ships.

First buy Rochester with doublons ( you can use also 25% discount price) before the patch.

Second now that you have Rochester you get him again and you get 100% discount for the purchase of another one.

And bam, you get Rochester and another premium ship for the price of one.

* this of course only make sense IF you want Rochester in the first place BUT this also means you can get Borodino for a cheaper price then would it take you to buy him.

Since Rochester is free, wouldn't

(1) Buy whatever ship you want with doubloons+coupon.

(2) Accept free Rochester.

also get you "two for the price of one", and the non-Rochester from a larger selection? 🤔

7 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Which one would you go for?

Hmm...  good question.

I have the Bayard, the Saipan, the Kidd and the Loyang.

Some of the listed ships haven't appealed to me enough to welcome them to my Port before now, for one reason or another.
I'll have to look at their in-game equipment screens and the wiki pages to narrow-down the candidates. 
Those with enough firepower and maneuverability will be put on my "short list".
As I write this, the Fenyang is a candidate merely because she'd help complete my collection of premium Pan-Asian Destroyers.
But, my decision is not "set in stone", yet.

Having Saipan (port queen since the rework), the only ships that I'm interested in from that list are Vanguard (historical reasons) and Kidd (nostalgia reasons, plus tried her as a rental) but they would also become mainly port queens.

Well, I'll be honest, in Kidd's case it's a twisted, sadistic nostalgia: I would pick her, sit her on my lap, and pinch and twist her cheeks hard while saying "I haven't forgotten how much of a bully you were to Hiryu, Shokaku and the other RTS CVs".

Salute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

How well does it gunfight? Sorry for pestering you about this. 

No pestering at all, glad to help.

You might know that im NOT a stats guy, I always "fly by the seat of my pants" when it comes to these things, rather going by my own long experience playing certain classes and I would say it is situated somewhere in the middle?

You dont seek gunfights in it, especially Not with gunboat DDs. You're not an open water bully, but you can bully most DDs, even gun boat ones in caps, especially if they drift into your hydro. Its decent, no more, no less but in combination with 5.5 km hydro, smoke AND torps, I would rate it quite high, and the more experience you have playing DDs the higher it rates.

I have carried a lot of teams in it just by using my good conceal, spot and screen for my team and securing and bully enemy DDs out of cap zones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tricericon said:

Since Rochester is free, wouldn't

(1) Buy whatever ship you want with doubloons+coupon.

(2) Accept free Rochester.

also get you "two for the price of one", and the non-Rochester from a larger selection?

Not if the other ship that he wants is (a) on the list (and more preferable to him than those that aren't) and (b) more expensive than Rochester. 

It's a marginal case, but if it shaves a thousand or so dubs off the purchase price for the "other" and the player really wants it, then it's worthwhile. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Considering that you can have:

GC vs. GC,

Bismarck vs. Bismarck, 

Wisconsin vs. Wisconsin,

and hundreds of etc. vs. etc., 

…as well as multiple etc. vs. multiple etc., …

… these absurd situations happen almost every battle.

• Like 1

Gascogne is the only one that interests me. I'll take Rochester first, because I was born and raised there not because I want to play it much lol. 

3 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Considering that you can have:

GC vs. GC,

Bismarck vs. Bismarck, 

Wisconsin vs. Wisconsin,

and hundreds of etc. vs. etc., 

…as well as multiple etc. vs. multiple etc., …

… these absurd situations happen almost every battle.

True, but we're talking about the situations in which ships took on a different name in different navies in-game and end up playing against themselves under alternative identities. 

19 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

So how many of these can you get completely for free in that event?

Hey @Itwastuesday Loyang is one of the DD's that gives me pause when I am playing T8 brawls in a DD. Unlike the other PA DD's she can hit my DD with torps, and while she isn't likely to kill me herself (I'll often play French or UK gunboat DD's) her ability to light me up with Hydro for her CRUISER friends is a major problem, especially since she can do that from smoke concealment, which I have to push to see her. Her torp alpha is a bit low (11k damage) but she has 2x5 racks, and many of her compatriots have 2x4 (including Z-35).  If you are looking for a new DD, then all of the ones on offer except the Z-31 are solid contenders, and all play very differently. I'll probably grab either Orkan or Loyang, since I already have Kidd. While Le Terrible is appealing I have La Fantastique, with "only" a 16 point captain so I can make do.

As for the rest:

DD's

• Loyang - see above, scary boat if used with support, excellent anti-DD boat
  • Kidd - light on torps, but has US guns, US smoke, excellent AA AND A HEAL
  • Le Terrible - La Fantastique that you can use your 21 point Kleber captain on
  • Orkan - Nasty kid brother of Smaland. I hate seeing these in T8 CB's when I play a DD

Honorable Mentions:

• Bayard: a French T8 CL (rather than CA). Excellent for flanking, dodging and smashing DD's. Agile but very fragile

Dishonorable mentions

• Z-35. 6 km torps with low (13.7k) alpha, 40s smoke duration and wonky gun angles on her 5 single turrets. Get Loyang instead for better smoke + Hydro with 1 less gun and much better torp range 
  • Borodino - The original glass cannon. You often see this in the first week of T8 CB's, and after that people bring a real BB with actual armour. This is a sniper, so if that's your thing go for it, but Constellation has the same crappy armour, but does the RADAR role better, has 8 (rather than 6) 16" guns AND has torpedoes

I have Wichita, but generally just use Baltimore. I don't CV, and Vanguard has little interest for me so I can't really comment

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1