Battle Stations - Movie of the Month September 2024

Admiral_Karasu

Movie of the Month for September 2024

Battle Stations

Try having the movie watched by the first weekend or so, that's SAT/SUN September 7 to 8.

This video has option with enhanced bitrate HD for Premium users

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r4Ze4QV7Qo

(Alternate video here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFWxnxiiwsY

Note! Recommended that you use the link to watch the movie in an adjacent tab or new window for ease of reference.

On Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Stations_(film)

And on IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048989/

Spoiler Warning!

image.jpeg.8c2a3507789bb4c0ee2070c8438b02c9.jpeg

If you have no clue about the movie previously, watch the movie first before going into the discussion.

General discussion of the movie to follow below.

• Thanks 3

Just finished watching it, seems to be based on what happened to the USS Franklin. I believe some of the music score was copied from “The Cain Mutiny” note for note.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DDG44_Vet said:

Just finished watching it, seems to be based on what happened to the USS Franklin. I believe some of the music score was copied from “The Cain Mutiny” note for note.

Looked it up, the opening title music is exactly the same, composed by Max Steiner. Probably a few more notes might have easily slipped in along the way.

• Like 2

Thanks for finding this movie @Admiral_Karasu, I’d never heard of it. As a movie I’d say it was very predictable and cliche; but as visual history of what Navy life was at the end of WWII I’d say it’s fantastic, I loved every minute of it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DDG44_Vet said:

I believe some of the music score was copied from “The Cain Mutiny” note for note.

6 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Looked it up, the opening title music is exactly the same, composed by Max Steiner.

Both pictures came out of Columbia Studios. Over the years, I have discovered that major studios used the same music in several productions, especially in movies from the 40s, 50s, and even 60s.  My thought is that they churned movies out faster during that period and had more control over content than today.  I have often seen this in war-related movies and many Western movies during that time frame.

• Like 2

I hadn't noticed the re-use of musical scores. 
But, I hadn't been watching movies from the same studio back-to-back, either.
"Good on'ya!" to those who caught-on to this situation.  🙂 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DDG44_Vet said:

Appreciate the bit of trivia

• Like 2

So, how's everyone managing with their 70 cranks on the rudder?

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Aha! Go watch the movie, @Wolfswetpaws.

I tried to, earlier (days, weeks, ago?).  The formulaic writing & plot was a turn-off.
Apparently the movie has to go through the figurative motions and a lot of cliche' scenes before it can get to the more inspiring part of the story.

Spoiler alert ....

Spoiler

Battle Stations is based on the USS Franklin CV-13. Its Chaplain, LCDR Fr. Joseph O'Callahan, was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions during the climactic battle depicted in the movie. His MOH citation is as follows: "For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as chaplain on board the U.S.S. Franklin when that vessel was fiercely attacked by enemy Japanese aircraft during offensive operations near Kobe, Japan, on 19 March 1945. A valiant and forceful leader, calmly braving the perilous barriers of flame and twisted metal to aid his men and his ship, Lt. Comdr. O'Callahan groped his way through smoke-filled corridors to the open flight deck and into the midst of violently exploding bombs, shells, rockets, and other armament. With the ship rocked by incessant explosions, with debris and fragments raining down and fires raging in ever-increasing fury, he ministered to the wounded and dying, comforting and encouraging men of all faiths; he organized and led firefighting crews into the blazing inferno on the flight deck; he directed the jettisoning of live ammunition and the flooding of the magazine; he manned a hose to cool hot, armed bombs rolling dangerously on the listing deck, continuing his efforts, despite searing, suffocating smoke which forced men to fall back gasping and imperiled others who replaced them. Serving with courage, fortitude, and deep spiritual strength, Lt. Comdr. O'Callahan inspired the gallant officers and men of the Franklin to fight heroically and with profound faith in the face of almost certain death and to return their stricken ship to port."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048989/trivia/?ref_=tt_trv_trv

4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I tried to, earlier (days, weeks, ago?).  The formulaic writing & plot was a turn-off.
Apparently the movie has to go through the figurative motions and a lot of cliche' scenes before it can get to the more inspiring part of the story.

Spoiler alert ....

Well, I think this type of movies were produced on a conveyor belt back in those days. Still, the pacing is good IMO. A more professional outcome than what you see these days with much bigger budgets.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.