The Almirante Oquendo Dockyard progress thread.

Schnitchelkid01_

17 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Some CAs can be played in alternate ways, for example I play my Prinz Eugen more in a brawler fashion, trying to take advantage of the strong torpedo armament and solid AP; with the Italians is always a very rewarding high risk stake to creep closer to caps and try to suprise a DD with their pants down; Radar CAs obviously play differently as you focus on controlling the Caps.  But when long range spamming is all what you have in your skill list... that's really boring.

Eugen is pretty cool. Oquendo would need improved pen or angles or anything at all to be half as cool as Eugen. What you want to do, but suck at, is blowing out citadels with your improved accuracy less dpm tradeoff gimmick. This salvo has about the penetration of a Roon or Buffalo depending on range, and about the alpha of a Roon despite having 3 more rifles. Now certainly you can do it to some cruisers, you can with pretty much any CA, when opportunity presents itself. Accuracy is rarely the issue in those opportunities as cruisers are plenty accurate already and you're going to be somewhat close in order to penetrate. That's what you're bringing though. Better accuracy for that one opportunistic salvo that may never happen if you're not trolling just to find it. And it's not better than something else you could bring.

An analogous option could be to try Zao with the mentality that I am going to citadel something. It has the accuracy always. It has IJN railguns. It's got stealth and a really heavy torpedo armament. It's T10, sure, but also free. Or maybe Buffalo at the same tier, which of course has those improved angles, better pen, better alpha, radar, much better DPM...

Oquendo is not the worst ship ever released, just mediocre, and the thing that's supposed to make it unique ill fits for what I think is optimally played as a kiting HE spammer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itwastuesday said:

Unless you immensely, profoundly enjoy the most normal kiting CA gameplay ever, then no. 

It has double black hole armor though, the first I've ever seen and the only I'm aware of. 

Double black hole armor?  What is that?

4 hours ago, Captain Slattery said:

Double black hole armor?  What is that?

Two voids. 

image.png.ac9e4c377b340cc913accb876e3215e9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Knocked out the last 1,100 BXP with a 1,800 BXP game in the Rochester. A-O is finally in the water with 14 minutes left on my prem time for the patch. Good looking ship, in any event.

Collecting her tokens left me five short of the next supercontainer, so I dropped the credits for another T5 & have hit all my goals for this patch.

• Like 5

She isn't bad, and the funny button is situational. But I have gotten some pretty funny salvos with eight citadels in one go against carriers with her. Somebody spotted for just a short moment can be enough to get a very tight salvo on target. Its also pretty good for perma blapping the torp tubes off some of those BBs that like to push in.

• Like 3

Dockyard done 2 days ago. Got Quendo and honestly - don't know what to think about that ship... I was played, but.... I guess it will be another port queen... 

• Like 4

Over since yesterday without any gold to spend.

Did not play the ship yet though.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2024 at 7:18 AM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

The micromanaging is one of the things I enjoy about this game.

I set up daily quotas to reduce the problem to a manageable size, and moreover one that can easily be exceeded, leaving me with a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. 

On the contrary, @Wolfswetpaws seems to be taking the approach of tackling each combat task one at a time and knocking it over before moving on to the next, an approach which also has much to recommend it. At my current rate of accumulating credits, I'll be done with that in five days; Wolfie will probably be done with it before his head hits the hay tonight. 

A player by the name of Pockington over on @Lord_Zath's Discord made the very valid point that the credit prizes in Brawls count as part of your ship earnings; and as those are 750,000 credits apiece, it may be worth looking into for those who find that format attractive.

Believe it or not, I managed to finish all the dockyard phases!

• Like 2

Completed the "Get 650 ribbons" (while sailing a Submarine) task in the Rebirth of the Navy dockyard mission-chain.

Rewarded with 10,000 credits.

On 9/27/2024 at 10:00 AM, Captain Slattery said:

You still have some time.  She is very much a mixed bag that shows twice the citadel above the water line than the PepsiCola does.  That's 30mm plating compared to Pensacola's 76mm.  Oquendo does have an additional 40mm torpedo protection bringing her up to 70mm.  She seems to be a one trick pony.  Long range, angled HE spammer.

Oquendo

Screenshot2024-09-27105116.thumb.png.1677c06cfa8f158fd1494b24a107ca9a.png

Pensacola :

Screenshot2024-09-27105203.thumb.png.93b9dab16cdb887339ddaae55348deb4.png

You're ignoring the 110mm belt that is between her 40mm torpedo belt and her 30mm citadel splinter plating.  Also, 40mm torpedo belt and 50mm icebreaker gives a lot of hull that will bounce any AP in the game when angled.

• Like 2

Yesterday finished phase 18 and 19. I still had to finish 4 more missions, 60k base XP among them. Thought there is no chance (didnt really want to spent 12 hours doing base XP and 2700 base XP seemed too high), so I paid 2k dubloons for the Oquendo. And then this happened today:

shot-24_10.02_10_58.04-0287.thumb.jpg.a20c6e0d4e54b7e54d82ef87efea1397.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1