The Almirante Oquendo Dockyard progress thread.

Schnitchelkid01_

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Again? But of course, you had her for testing as a wiki editor.

Of course.

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Just out of interest, let us know if she has any XP on her when you get her back. I remember I had a couple of 24 hours rentals of Kaga in missions an age ago; and then when I won her in a Santa crate two Christmases back, she popped up with XP on her. But maybe things are different for Wiki editor and tester loans?

It won’t. Normal premium ship rentals keep whatever xp is on them, and if you go to convert the xp you’ll be able to even if you don’t currently own it. Test ship xp goes to the t1 of the line after testing, just like it does with event rentals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got done yesterday. So, because of all the SC we got for "free", I was able to build up enough "money" to get it for free. By the way, I initally did this DD to get the Leipzig and the usual free stuff until SC drops came in the current (how many more events can you churn out WG?) event, then I decided might as well finish it. I would rather get the ships for free than having it drop in a SC and miss out on what I'd like to get.

Review that nobody asked for. I am not LWM, nobody can come close to her. I am Canadian like her, though..

With that said, atrocious turret angles - you have to be nearly broadside to fire all 4 turrets forward. There's some improvement when you're kiting, though. F button changes to 15 second reload, the accuracy improvement didn't appeal to me. Maybe I have been spoiled with the Zao Zenness of which most of them average 15 to 16 second reload and they cause better penetration and DMG to compensate. Torp angles atrocious too. Mind you, I was using a 10 pt captain that came with it. I suspect it would improve if I could put in for the reload, the one with the recycling thing plus AR.

By the way, this is a copy of Andalucia. I was surprised about this one. Much like Albemarle and Auckland - both same but functionally different. Different guns. I've got Anda unlocked but not bought. I suspect the guns will hit better owning to having larger shells. I will have to take it out on PTS to see for myself.

So.. up to you guys if you feel it's worth finishing for. Definitely worth for getting the free stuff!

I went mainly Coop and Operations. Let my secondaries do its work on both CA and BB. Operations is great for the credits - it's not halved. (Don't you dare change that WG) The first result credit you see at the end is counted, not the net amount.

For planes, I made a goal of gunning for the CV by fighting my way through and making myself a threat for the bot to focus on. It worked well enough. I deliberately didn't try to sink the CV until I got my planes done, then ended its usefulness with extreme prejudice. It can be done in Operations - Hermes and Cherry Blossom - the issue lies in that you can't choose the operation, have to hope you got the right operation, imo stupid. I wish they would let us choose the operation, but it would cause issues if too many players chose one and the one you want isn't populated enough.

I used Ship Tools - went to main battery and then shots. Ditto on secondaries. I made a top 5 list based on that. Planes, just see my strategy to get it done. Don't even try base XP.. it will burn you out. I didn't bother.

#update - On PTS, I finally took out the AndaLucia, I encountered the same downsides as the Almirante. It does hit harder with the larger shells. Like I thought earlier, looks the same but functionally different. But it does have the same horrible angles with the guns and torps. WG dropped the ball on this one, copied the same ship and changed a few things. Should have been its own design or something of a historical value like the Wisconsin.

Edited by Scorpion_Raider37
  • Like 7

Done! Usually Dockyards are a painful grind for me, but this one was different, i was able to finish it without playing much differently than i usually would. I hope the next one will be the same.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Done! Usually Dockyards are a painful grind for me, but this one was different, i was able to finish it without playing much differently than i usually would. I hope the next one will be the same.

Dude, go knock on some wood! Do not jinx the next one. I probably won't actually finish the next one, though. In it for free stuff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Test ship xp goes to the t1 of the line after testing, just like it does with event rentals. 

Thanks for clarifying.

Back to the topic: I'm done. She's in my port now, and I can relax. 

• Like 2

Just finished a cruiser game and my total is now 3498 ribbons.  Just 2 lousy stinking ribbons.

• Haha 4

Finished the dockyard tonight as well. Lucked out on a Hermes as my first operation of the night to finish the last 7 plane kills (and then as expected got pretty much nothing but Hermes and Cherry Blossom after I didn't need plane kills anymore). Then it was just base xp and cruiser ribbons, which meant lots of secondary cruisers and ships like Smolensk.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Finished the dockyard tonight as well. Lucked out on a Hermes as my first operation of the night to finish the last 7 plane kills (and then as expected got pretty much nothing but Hermes and Cherry Blossom after I didn't need plane kills anymore). Then it was just base xp and cruiser ribbons, which meant lots of secondary cruisers and ships like Smolensk.

Smolensk and Atlanta are quite spicy for sending rounds downrange.  I got that mission done so quickly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wowzery said:

Just finished a cruiser game and my total is now 3498 ribbons.  Just 2 lousy stinking ribbons.

HA! I had that happen to me in battleships. WITH THE FREAKING SCHLIEFFEN OF ALL THINGS.

2 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Just one more mission to go...

shot-24_09.22_21_50.40-0519.thumb.jpg.e1cf91b2e1d4f0285d1ae3e2906e7cd0.jpg

Leo "Apollo11"

I can get 3500 ribbons in cruisers faster than I can earn 21,000 base XP. Co-op is your friend.

24 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I can get 3500 ribbons in cruisers faster than I can earn 21,000 base XP. Co-op is your friend.

I was playing a number of cruisers, each in their turn, and then decided to sail the Brisbane for this.
Making good progress, I think.

36 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I was playing a number of cruisers, each in their turn, and then decided to sail the Brisbane for this.
Making good progress, I think.

I used a combination of French cruisers (speed) and German CAs (secondary built.)  Speed was necessary in the beginning when a lot of people were out trying to get kills and ships didn't survive long.  Now things have settled down somewhat, so secondary built cruisers have a good chance of scoring a lot of ribbons.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

I used a combination of French cruisers (speed) and German CAs (secondary built.)  Speed was necessary in the beginning when a lot of people were out trying to get kills and ships didn't survive long.  Now things have settled down somewhat, so secondary built cruisers have a good chance of scoring a lot of ribbons.

Yes, sec-bat build cruisers are competitive in this race to get ribbons, especially if they can get into brawling actions.

That said, the Brisbane doesn't have secondary guns.  
Just main-guns and AA and torpedoes.  
Lots of guns and lots of torpedoes.  🙂 

She's reasonably quick and shifts her rudder well enough to take advantage of her good turning radius, too.

27 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Yes, sec-bat build cruisers are competitive in this race to get ribbons, especially if they can get into brawling actions.

That said, the Brisbane doesn't have secondary guns.  
Just main-guns and AA and torpedoes.  
Lots of guns and lots of torpedoes.  🙂 

She's reasonably quick and shifts her rudder well enough to take advantage of her good turning radius, too.

Brisbane is a great ship.  But consider you have 10 guns with a range of 15-16 kms and a 5 second reload.  Hindenburg has 12 main guns with a range of 17+ kms. and a reload of 9.5 secs, in addition she has 16 secondaries with a range of 12.5 kms (with secondary build.)

Torpedoes are counterproductive for farming ribbons.

For damage missions Brisbane is an excellent choice since she can dish out a lot of hurt, and she can single fire her torps.

• Thanks 1

Completed the "Get 3,500 ribbons" while sailing a Cruiser task.

Rewarded with 10,000 credits.

7 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Brisbane is a great ship.  But consider you have 10 guns with a range of 15-16 kms and a 5 second reload.  Hindenburg has 12 main guns with a range of 17+ kms. and a reload of 9.5 secs, in addition she has 16 secondaries with a range of 12.5 kms (with secondary build.)

Torpedoes are counterproductive for farming ribbons.

For damage missions Brisbane is an excellent choice since she can dish out a lot of hurt, and she can single fire her torps.

Well, what you wrote about the ship's capabilities is fine & dandy.

But, I had fun playing the Brisbane and listening to her Captain, Matilda Kelly.  🙂 

ANAHATA – Heave-Ho, She's a Pirate [ORIGINAL || SEA SHANTY]

21 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well, what you wrote about the ship's capabilities is fine & dandy.

But, I had fun playing the Brisbane and listening to her Captain, Matilda Kelly.  🙂 

ANAHATA – Heave-Ho, She's a Pirate [ORIGINAL || SEA SHANTY]

I did take out several pirate captains on Thursday (that was Talk Like A Pirate Day.)

• Like 1

Well, finished and she's sitting in my port.  Guess I'll have to do a test drive now.

• Like 2

Hi all,

8 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Since I will be doing the Brawl and Ranked this week it will be no problem at all... I always try to "synergize" the tasks... 🙂

Leo "Apollo11"

11 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

But consider you have 10 guns with a range of 15-16 kms and a 5 second reload.  Hindenburg has 12 main guns with a range of 17+ kms. and a reload of 9.5 secs,

In 95 seconds, Hindenburg fires 10 salvoes of 12 = 120. In 95 seconds, Brisbane fires 19 salvoes of 10 = 190.

Brisbane is 70 ahead, and then it comes down to whether your Hindenburg is built for secondaries and how many of them hit. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Since I will be doing the Brawl and Ranked this week it will be no problem at all... I always try to "synergize" the tasks... 🙂

Leo "Apollo11"

I'll be interested to see which one you finish first. 👍

Intermittent play this weekend finished destroyer and battleship ribbons. Planes fell early and easily, so now I'm half the CA progress bar or 8,000 BXP away from Oquendo. I'm ready for a change of pace, so I'll knock out whichever falls first (probably BXP) over the next week, then cut way back on WOWS for a while in favor of either my paperback backlog or BG3. I'm entitled to just over 80 super containers from tokens, which will stay on ice until I'm ready to hit WOWS hard again & will need prem time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

In 95 seconds, Hindenburg fires 10 salvoes of 12 = 120. In 95 seconds, Brisbane fires 19 salvoes of 10 = 190.

Brisbane is 70 ahead, and then it comes down to whether your Hindenburg is built for secondaries and how many of them hit. 

Assuming that it takes 15 seconds to get into secondary range, you're looking at 23x8 hits in that time frame (if we assume only 50% hit rate, then it's still over 90 more ribbons for the Hindy.)  In addition, you've got another 8 secondary guns that are capable of firing to the other side of your ship.

10 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Assuming that it takes 15 seconds to get into secondary range, you're looking at 23x8 hits in that time frame (if we assume only 50% hit rate, then it's still over 90 more ribbons for the Hindy.)  In addition, you've got another 8 secondary guns that are capable of firing to the other side of your ship.

My Hindenburg's sec-bat range is 10 km.