PSA - Research Bureau Reset

Bomont

26 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Which makes me wonder about the timing of the x2 (or more) reset days.
Are they a fixed date, every quarter of the year?  And that's how people know "today is the day for doing resets", or.... what?  🙂

Edited to add:  Because if I could reset a line at any time of the year, and then have to wait another 3 months, then that reset clock would be individual to me instead of something that people get hyped-up about 4 times per year, right?  🙂 

I doesn't seem to be an exact date, but if you look at the bottom of the Tech Tree tab you see give and take when next x2 will be

image.thumb.png.29b509bfadc7237ee81d3516a101cf9e.png

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I doesn't seem to be an exact date, but if you look at the bottom of the Tech Tree tab you see give and take when next x2 will be

image.thumb.png.29b509bfadc7237ee81d3516a101cf9e.png

Yeah.  Already did that.

25 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

A research bureau season is 90 days. The fact that the calendar has months of varying lengths means that the exact date will necessarily shift around a little.

No two months of 30 days are ever back-to-back. 31-day months are back-to-back in December-January and July-August. Expect the next reset around about October 22. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

As I mentioned elsewhere, this is my first time resetting a line.  🙂 
Also, I don't want to wait 3 months until I can play my ships.
The "stacking" of the x2(x3, x4, whatever) seems to depend upon having the available FreeXP to do the research of a line before buying the hulls with credits.

Buying the hulls with credits doesn’t remove the RP from the ships; playing them in battle does.

One doesn’t have to wait three months to stack RP on ships. I could go into my client right now and stack multiple “regular” ~10k RP resets on to a line with FXP.

If one doesn’t want to lose access to ships while making the most efficient use of their FXP, grinding time, and credits, the best strategy is the one I alluded to above: reset a line at the end of a 2x reset period, use FXP to research (but not buy) all the ships in the line, then reset again at the beginning of the next 2x reset period and FXP/purchase the ships. If one has the free XP, you get 4 resets worth of RP for two resets worth of FXP and only lacking your ships for a day.

A lot of players only do resets once a quarter to take advantage of the 2x resets. I’ve used both the FXP stacking and individual grind methods in the past, but I’ve never done a regular 1x reset.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Buying the hulls with credits doesn’t remove the RP from the ships; playing them in battle does.

One doesn’t have to wait three months to stack RP on ships. I could go into my client right now and stack multiple “regular” ~10k RP resets on to a line with FXP.

If one doesn’t want to lose access to ships while making the most efficient use of their FXP, grinding time, and credits, the best strategy is the one I alluded to above: reset a line at the end of a 2x reset period, use FXP to research (but not buy) all the ships in the line, then reset again at the beginning of the next 2x reset period and FXP/purchase the ships. If one has the free XP, you get 4 resets worth of RP for two resets worth of FXP and only lacking your ships for a day.

A lot of players only do resets once a quarter to take advantage of the 2x resets. I’ve used both the FXP stacking and individual grind methods in the past, but I’ve never done a regular 1x reset.

I feel that the research bureau has needed a clear and thorough "Owner's Manual" or wiki, ever since it was introduced into the game.  But, the continued confusion and incoherent postings about it indicate that it has yet to get one, in my opinion.  🙂 

Just completed a 6x bonus reset, picked up Sicilia. We'll see how she is.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Efros said:

Just completed a 6x bonus reset, picked up Sicilia. We'll see how she is.

Nice, let us know how you like her, do you already have Slava? I'm trying to decide which one to get first.

• Like 1

Yeah I have Slava but I don't seem to get on with her very well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

As for me...
Last night I reset my Shimakaze line for the x2 bonus.
Then I used FreeXP re-research the line and used credits to purchase the ships and their hull modules and equipment uprgrades.
Then I played them in Co-op games from the Umikaze up through the Shimakaze.
In the process, I earned over 20k research bureau points.

This morning, I looked at my tech-tree screens and all of them are showing that I have to wait 3 months until I can get the x2 bonus again.

So, I learned that one has to reset, and re-reset the line(s) BEFORE buying the ships back.
Apparently, buying the ships and playing them re-starts the clock on when the next x2 (or higher multiplier) 'trick' can be played.

I've been curious about this for a while and have held-off doing a reset for various reasons (not having the resources to spare or planning to spend on other items).
So, now I have a better understanding and my curiosity is mostly satisfied.
What I remain curious about is, "what happens if I grind another line to tier-10?".  Will that shorten my 3 month clock?  Or not?

I think you were a day or two late with your initial reset.  Had you done it a couple days earlier, you would have another 2x bonus.  Hopefully my explanation below will help.

11 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I feel that the research bureau has needed a clear and thorough "Owner's Manual" or wiki, ever since it was introduced into the game.  But, the continued confusion and incoherent postings about it indicate that it has yet to get one, in my opinion.  🙂 

I think the confusion is that you are getting answers about the research bureau mechanics intermingled with min/max'ing of FXP, credits, time; preferences for which lines to grind, timing of the grind; seasonal bonuses; etc.  It all gets conflated and sounds complex.  It's really not that bad.

Research bureau - getting research points - is really fairly simple.  If you qualify (5 lines to T10, IIRC), any line you have researched to T10 can be reset.  Resetting a line is just what it sounds like - that line gets reset back to T1 and it's as if you've never played them.  None of the ships have XP and any that you bought in that line are gone.

• Ships are sold at 1/2 the purchase price, just like selling any tech tree ships is without the research bureau.
  • Upgrades are demounted and put in your inventory.
  • Captains are put in your reserve.

Now you don't own any of the ships in that line, but if you look in the tech tree, you'll see the RP symbol on each of the ships T5-T10 in that line, just like you see snowflakes during the Anniversary or Christmas.  As you get the ships in that line researched, bought, and played, you get the RP's.  You collect the RP just like you collect on snowflakes - play the ship (I think you have to win or get 300XP).

TLDR:  It's really simple - reset the line, grind it back up, collect 10,200 RP's.

Now you get to the optimization, min/max, preferences, etc.

Just as with any ship, you can FXP or grind to get the next ship in the line.  You can get all of the upgrades or just get those required to get the next ship.  Some people don't want to be without their ships so they immediately FXP back up.  Some people grind (play the ships) so they pick a line that they enjoy playing.  Probably most people do a combination of grinding and FXP'ing.  The Harugumo line takes the least amount of XP to get from T1 to T10 so that line is most commonly chosen for resets.  But bottom line, it's no different from any other situation: you need to get from T1 to T10 and you have options of FXP'ing or playing the ships to accumulate XP.

Every 3 months (quarterly) a new RB "season" starts.  The first reset done during that season gets a bonus of being worth twice as many RP's.  It doesn't matter whether you do your reset on the first day, last day or anywhere in between: It's worth 2x (20,400RP). 

You don't have to buy (or play) the ships to qualify for resetting the line.  If you research through T10, without buying or playing any of them. the line is eligible for a reset (but you wouldn't have collected the RP's on the ships).  Of course, in order to grind you have to buy the ships and play them to get XP.  But if you are willing to FXP through all the ships, you can get to T10 without actually playing any of the ships and then reset again.  This is how people stack their RP's.

Many players are going to use FXP and don't want to be without their ships so they wait to reset until the last day of one quarter, reset their line, FXP back up to T10, then the in the next day or two (when the next quarter starts) they reset again.  That gives them the 2x from the previous quarter and this quarter (stacked for a total of 4x) in a few days.  They can do this twice a year, since it uses the quarterly bonus of two quarters in a few days.  If they FXP'ed again the next day, they'd have 5x (since they used the 2x bonus for the first reset already).  By doing this, they have saved the cost of buying the ships two or three times, and only bought them once for the same amount of RP's

Personally, I grind as far as I can (so I usually wait until close to the end of a quarter), then FXP to finish up so I can take advantage of the 2x before the next season starts.  I usually get somewhere into the T8 ship over 3 months (I don't play as much as most people on this forum).  Consequently, I FXP to finish the T8 and through the T9 to the T10.  Because of this, I have 12x on my T9 and T10.  I haven't bought (or played) the T9 and T10 for a long time.  But I've only recently been getting ahead on credits.  Since the T9 and T10 are the most expensive ships, I've save tens of millions of credits by not buying them and letting the RP's stack. Basically, I've been maximizing for credits.  Other people will want to maximize something else.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Bomont said:

I think you were a day or two late with your initial reset.  Had you done it a couple days earlier, you would have another 2x bonus.  Hopefully my explanation below will help.

I think the confusion is that you are getting answers about the research bureau mechanics intermingled with min/max'ing of FXP, credits, time; preferences for which lines to grind, timing of the grind; seasonal bonuses; etc.  It all gets conflated and sounds complex.  It's really not that bad.

Research bureau - getting research points - is really fairly simple.  If you qualify (5 lines to T10, IIRC), any line you have researched to T10 can be reset.  Resetting a line is just what it sounds like - that line gets reset back to T1 and it's as if you've never played them.  None of the ships have XP and any that you bought in that line are gone.

• Ships are sold at 1/2 the purchase price, just like selling any tech tree ships is without the research bureau.
  • Upgrades are demounted and put in your inventory.
  • Captains are put in your reserve.

Now you don't own any of the ships in that line, but if you look in the tech tree, you'll see the RP symbol on each of the ships T5-T10 in that line, just like you see snowflakes during the Anniversary or Christmas.  As you get the ships in that line researched, bought, and played, you get the RP's.  You collect the RP just like you collect on snowflakes - play the ship (I think you have to win or get 300XP).

TLDR:  It's really simple - reset the line, grind it back up, collect 10,200 RP's.

Now you get to the optimization, min/max, preferences, etc.

Just as with any ship, you can FXP or grind to get the next ship in the line.  You can get all of the upgrades or just get those required to get the next ship.  Some people don't want to be without their ships so they immediately FXP back up.  Some people grind (play the ships) so they pick a line that they enjoy playing.  Probably most people do a combination of grinding and FXP'ing.  The Harugumo line takes the least amount of XP to get from T1 to T10 so that line is most commonly chosen for resets.  But bottom line, it's no different from any other situation: you need to get from T1 to T10 and you have options of FXP'ing or playing the ships to accumulate XP.

Every 3 months (quarterly) a new RB "season" starts.  The first reset done during that season gets a bonus of being worth twice as many RP's.  It doesn't matter whether you do your reset on the first day, last day or anywhere in between: It's worth 2x (20,400RP). 

You don't have to buy (or play) the ships to qualify for resetting the line.  If you research through T10, without buying or playing any of them. the line is eligible for a reset (but you wouldn't have collected the RP's on the ships).  Of course, in order to grind you have to buy the ships and play them to get XP.  But if you are willing to FXP through all the ships, you can get to T10 without actually playing any of the ships and then reset again.  This is how people stack their RP's.

Many players are going to use FXP and don't want to be without their ships so they wait to reset until the last day of one quarter, reset their line, FXP back up to T10, then the in the next day or two (when the next quarter starts) they reset again.  That gives them the 2x from the previous quarter and this quarter (stacked for a total of 4x) in a few days.  They can do this twice a year, since it uses the quarterly bonus of two quarters in a few days.  If they FXP'ed again the next day, they'd have 5x (since they used the 2x bonus for the first reset already).  By doing this, they have saved the cost of buying the ships two or three times, and only bought them once for the same amount of RP's

Personally, I grind as far as I can (so I usually wait until close to the end of a quarter), then FXP to finish up so I can take advantage of the 2x before the next season starts.  I usually get somewhere into the T8 ship over 3 months (I don't play as much as most people on this forum).  Consequently, I FXP to finish the T8 and through the T9 to the T10.  Because of this, I have 12x on my T9 and T10.  I haven't bought (or played) the T9 and T10 for a long time.  But I've only recently been getting ahead on credits.  Since the T9 and T10 are the most expensive ships, I've save tens of millions of credits by not buying them and letting the RP's stack. Basically, I've been maximizing for credits.  Other people will want to maximize something else.

I hope this helps.

What you wrote was helpful, especially the section I underlined and changed to "bold" font format. 
Thanks.

I also re-read the wiki page for comparison.
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Research_Bureau

14 hours ago, Efros said:

Yeah I have Slava but I don't seem to get on with her very well.

Yeah, Slava is one of those ships that are fun if you like sniping BUT her carry potential is dubious, if you roll a stump team in MM you'll have a terrible day.

• Like 1