Economy-Boosters, Bug or am I just dumb?

xamdam

I was starting to run low on my Green credit eco-boosters so I decided to switch to the grays, which I have thousands of... However, not matter how many ships I remove them from, my "available" number for the greens does not increase? What?

Have I just thrown a bunch away (maybe 10 ships or so I removed them from and switched to gray).

Edited by xamdam
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, xamdam said:

I was starting to run low on my Green credit eco-boosters so I decided to switch to the grays, which I have thousands of... However, not matter how many ships I remove them from, my "available" number for the greens does not increase? What?

Have I just thrown a bunch away (maybe 10 ships or so I removed them from and switched to gray).

No booster is consumed upon entering the battle not mounting

• Like 7

The eco-booster count doesn't change until it's actually used in battle. So, suppose you have a hundred of a particular booster and you demount boosters from all of your ships. Since the boosters were never actually used, you'll still have a hundred.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldblackdog said:

The eco-booster count doesn't change until it's actually used in battle. So, suppose you have a hundred of a particular booster and you demount boosters from all of your ships. Since the boosters were never actually used, you'll still have a hundred.

Hmm, okay. Thank you. But it's a bit unnerving when I remove 10, yet my inventory "available" count doesn't change. I understand they don't get used unless I burn them in battle but why doesn't the "available" number change if they've been demounted? Like modules, etc...

Since you can only play one ship at a time it makes sense that your available boosters remain the same.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Hmm, okay. Thank you. But it's a bit unnerving when I remove 10, yet my inventory "available" count doesn't change. I understand they don't get used unless I burn them in battle but why doesn't the "available" number change if they've been demounted? Like modules, etc...

The cynical part of me wants to say it’s so it’s harder to notice when you run out and the game starts charging you doubloons when you enter battle. But I also haven’t completely depleted a type of booster to see what actually happens in those cases.

But honestly, the new system keeps boosters applied from one battle to the next, so an inventory system like you propose could easily result in boosters being “lost” (as in being unable to be found) on ships that are rarely played (this did happen with the old signal flags). The current system is more convenient in that regard.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

Well, to be clear. Here's my dilemma. Say I have "1" green credit eco booster showing as "available" when I look either at a ship in port in the "equipment" tab or via my "inventory". I dismount 10 from ships that have them mounted, but that number does not change (stays at "1"). To me, it seems that if I want to mount 1 green green credit eco booster later, my "available" number should drop to zero. I haven't tried it yet, but I will now.

Okay, just did. The number remains the same... Confusing, to me at least. I'd be much happier to see the demounted ones increase my count in my inventory. If that makes sense...

And as a side bar, I seem to get plenty of green FXP, Captain XP, Ship XP ones from various drops but credits... few and far between. I'm not really hurting for credits at over 350 million but... when my premium time finally runs out (Hotel California...) I want to have a good stash.

And I've made sure to turn off "Auto-purchase"... I've had doubloons decrease in the past for consumable camos that I hadn't noticed and it pissed me off to no end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Well, to be clear. Here's my dilemma. Say I have "1" green credit eco booster showing as "available" when I look either at a ship in port in the "equipment" tab or via my "inventory". I dismount 10 from ships that have them mounted, but that number does not change (stays at "1"). To me, it seems that if I want to mount 1 green green credit eco booster later, my "available" number should drop to zero. I haven't tried it yet, but I will now.

Okay, just did. The number remains the same... Confusing, to me at least. I'd be much happier to see the demounted ones increase my count in my inventory. If that makes sense...

And as a side bar, I seem to get plenty of green FXP, Captain XP, Ship XP ones from various drops but credits... few and far between. I'm not really hurting for credits at over 350 million but... when my premium time finally runs out (Hotel California...) I want to have a good stash.

If I understood the explanation correctly, the boosters are not in fact mounted, they are only designated to be mounted when you enter battle on any such ship.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

If I understood the explanation correctly, the boosters are not in fact mounted, they are only designated to be mounted when you enter battle on any such ship.

Okay, thanks. Maybe that's it. If it says I have "1", I have '1" no mater which ship uses it... So all the others that I have them "pre mounted" on will also drop to zero no matter what ship I burn it on. Bugger... I thought I had a bit of a stock left since I had them selected for a ton of ships. Oh well...

• Like 1

End game for me. I'm not going to be buying any of these things for doubloons, that's for sure. When they run out, and if I can't sustain playing without them, I'll be done.

With all the nerfs they put into Operations, running green boosters felt about 'right" for payouts. Without them, especially with tech tree ships (even if you top the board and have "gg") feels anemic.

I remember the days of grinding early on and having to sell inventory / ships to buy new ones. I think I've put enough into the game in time spent and in real money that it should sustain itself at this point. If that's not the case then, why bother? They cut earnings / rewards at every turn lately it seems. Eventually, all good things must come to an end.

34 minutes ago, xamdam said:

...but why doesn't the "available" number change if they've been demounted?

Because the game tracks all the eco-boosters in one number. Maybe this made it easier to write the game code, because it works the same for combat signals.

1 minute ago, xamdam said:

End game for me. I'm not going to be buying any of these things for doubloons, that's for sure. When they run out, and if I can't sustain playing without them, I'll be done.

With all the nerfs they put into Operations, running green boosters felt about 'right" for payouts. Without them, especially with tech tree ships (even if you top the board and have "gg") feels anemic.

I remember the days of grinding early on and having to sell inventory / ships to buy new ones. I think I've put enough into the game in time spent and in real money that it should sustain itself at this point. If that's not the case then, why bother? They cut earnings / rewards at every turn lately it seems. Eventually, all good things must come to an end.

Well, I haven't done any calculations, but IMO operations should give you some profit even without the boosters. You can also always make use of your premium ships as well.

When you run out of boosters, you cannot deselect that booster because it tries to sell you one for doubloons.  You have to select a different booster then you can deselect a booster.  This can be a problem if you use the vary last booster in that category and there are no other boosters available to deselect boosters.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well, I haven't done any calculations, but IMO operations should give you some profit even without the boosters. You can also always make use of your premium ships as well.

Yes, "some profit" is true. But perhaps I'm spoiled by having tons of green boosters that are now beginning to run low to where I noticed it. When they did the economic rework, and gave us the opportunity (for a limited time) to choose how we wanted to convert, I selected green for most(had over 1K in each category) and got rid of my blues and reds. I have thousands of grays, and several hundred greens left but sheesh, when you dismount them and play a match it's an eye opener on how little you earn in Operations any more. Also the daily XP grind for crates suddenly becomes greater. I couldn't imagine playing F2P any more. 

I just did an Ultimate Frontier match in my Cleveland. Kind of a carry (last alive, only 4 stars as the team was incapable of killing the CV with our two yolo BBs dead early on), 8 kills, 1,425bxp. 5 more kills than the next player, only 2 others broke 1K bxp and the reward, with a gray booster, was 278K credits. If I played Mainz or some other good premium, with a green, probably closer to 600k or so. Just guessing. 

I have tons of prems, but I want to enjoy my tech tree ships more. But monies, I guess.

Okay, thanks for the replies. I think I understand it now. And I'll be more sparing in how I use any "resources" from this point forward. It's the last game on my aging computer and since I can't upgrade to Win 11 (thanks MS... the computer works just fine for what I want to do...) due not having the security chip, I might be done with online gaming come October 25th, 2025 when they stop supporting Windows 10. 

I suppose I'll be using a cheap build just for general work related stuff and Internet at that point. Not able to justify pouring money into gaming any more. Sucks too, since my old workhorse i7 2600K / GTX980 still is more than capable of doing what I want to do gaming wise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xamdam said:

Yes, "some profit" is true. But perhaps I'm spoiled by having tons of green boosters that are now beginning to run low to where I noticed it. When they did the economic rework, and gave us the opportunity (for a limited time) to choose how we wanted to convert, I selected green for most(had over 1K in each category) and got rid of my blues and reds. I have thousands of grays, and several hundred greens left but sheesh, when you dismount them and play a match it's an eye opener on how little you earn in Operations any more. Also the daily XP grind for crates suddenly becomes greater. I couldn't imagine playing F2P any more. 

I just did an Ultimate Frontier match in my Cleveland. Kind of a carry (last alive, only 4 stars as the team was incapable of killing the CV with our two yolo BBs dead early on), 8 kills, 1,425bxp. 5 more kills than the next player, only 2 others broke 1K bxp and the reward, with a gray booster, was 278K credits. If I played Mainz or some other good premium, with a green, probably closer to 600k or so. Just guessing. 

I have tons of prems, but I want to enjoy my tech tree ships more. But monies, I guess.

Okay, thanks for the replies. I think I understand it now. And I'll be more sparing in how I use any "resources" from this point forward. It's the last game on my aging computer and since I can't upgrade to Win 11 (thanks MS... the computer works just fine for what I want to do...) due not having the security chip, I might be done with online gaming come October 25th, 2025 when they stop supporting Windows 10. 

I suppose I'll be using a cheap build just for general work related stuff and Internet at that point. Not able to justify pouring money into gaming any more. Sucks too, since my old workhorse i7 2600K / GTX980 still is more than capable of doing what I want to do gaming wise. 

Well, I don't know what will happen Windows-wise for me, either. My current rig is entirely adequate for my purposes but won't support Win 11. Basically, I'm using AV software so as long as new games get released for Win 10, this should not be much of a problem. Old games, of course, should go anywhere so there's still plenty of selection around.

10 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well, I don't know what will happen Windows-wise for me, either. My current rig is entirely adequate for my purposes but won't support Win 11. Basically, I'm using AV software so as long as new games get released for Win 10, this should not be much of a problem. Old games, of course, should go anywhere so there's still plenty of selection around.

I'm more worried about vulnerability to hacking / viruses. They say now if you connect a freshly installed Win XP machine to the Internet you will be infected in minutes. The same will happen to Win 10 after a while once the updates stop. My guess, that is. 

2 minutes ago, xamdam said:

I'm more worried about vulnerability to hacking / viruses. They say now if you connect a freshly installed Win XP machine to the Internet you will be infected in minutes. The same will happen to Win 10 after a while once the updates stop. My guess, that is. 

Yeah... well, we don't yet have any idea how many people will actually fork the cost of upgrading their rig just to migrate to Win 11. As for hacking, that's currently fairly easy to achieve even under Win 10 maintenance, and basically I think there's no actual software, built-in or otherwise, that protects you against hacking. Viruses are different, there you need AV protection although some say Win Defender is adequate.

46 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

When you run out of boosters, you cannot deselect that booster because it tries to sell you one for doubloons. 

I'm not sure this is correct (I'm not at home so can't double-check): can't you just go into the booster screen, and click the 'x' that's upper right for the relevant booster?

37 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I'm not sure this is correct (I'm not at home so can't double-check): can't you just go into the booster screen, and click the 'x' that's upper right for the relevant booster?

and you can turn 'auto-purchase' off. It should really never be 'on' [my opinion].

• Like 3

15 hours ago, xamdam said:

You can always get some from free part of battlepass, events, crates and for coal in the armory, thats credit wise, xp ones are not really mandatory