Periscope Depth Reality And Game

tm63au

History tells us that surface ships spotted Submarines periscopes, history also shows that quiet often Submarines at periscope depth were missed, I cant put a figure on it but I would guess to say the figures would far in favour Subs being undetected than the former.

Now I know the game mechanics only a vague semblance of history but do Submarines have to be detected universally at periscope depth cant we have some randomisation on periscope detection.

Also don't we have a loose interpretation of night combat that should vastly favour a Subs periscope.

Now I know this subject may cause consternation to community that are less than sociable to that ship type but you basically cant slip into the enemy fleets formation.

Call me a dreamer but I would love to relive some sought of wolfpack tactic not much a surface attack but dodge there DD screen and try and cause havoc amongst the Heavies at periscope depth.

Alas WG has made certain that kind of thing wont happen.

Ah dreams of a potato player

• Like 1

Moonlight was the submariners worst enemy during stealthy night operations. The wake positively glows like a neon sign. Successful night operations usually relied on ships being silhouetted against the stars.

But none of that matters because this is an arcade game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tm63au said:

History tells us that surface ships spotted Submarines periscopes, history also shows that quiet often Submarines at periscope depth were missed, I cant put a figure on it but I would guess to say the figures would far in favour Subs being undetected than the former.

Now I know the game mechanics only a vague semblance of history but do Submarines have to be detected universally at periscope depth cant we have some randomisation on periscope detection.

Also don't we have a loose interpretation of night combat that should vastly favour a Subs periscope.

Now I know this subject may cause consternation to community that are less than sociable to that ship type but you basically cant slip into the enemy fleets formation.

Call me a dreamer but I would love to relive some sought of wolfpack tactic not much a surface attack but dodge there DD screen and try and cause havoc amongst the Heavies at periscope depth.

Alas WG has made certain that kind of thing wont happen.

Ah dreams of a potato player

The nerfing of submarine torpedo warheads (making them practically useless within 3 km of the launching point) hasn't helped.

A submarine at periscope depth has a detection radius of approximately 2.5 km.
Hydro-acoustic search is fully effective when a submarine is at periscope depth (detection to the full radius of the Hydro equipment).

The "Happy Times" for submarines would be in the lower tiers (Tier-6) where fewer ships have consumables to detect them.

I'm hoping they'll introduce submarines to Tier-4, someday.

• Like 1

It's all an arcade game anyway.

There are far better sub games to give you that Wolfpack or infiltrator gameplay.

• Like 3

No, leave it like it is.

Adjust, adapt and git gud.

On 7/19/2024 at 10:53 PM, tm63au said:

What would be the point of this, other than for submarine players to repeatedly dive/surface until they roll a "good" concealment value?