Lexical field

Latouche_Treville

In my native language, naval/maritime/nautical vocabulary is a mixture of everyday speech with different meanings than usual, borrowings from foreign languages, and weird terms specific to this field.
What about in your language?

• Like 1

I live in the USA and my knowledge of nautical vocabulary was learned from my experience in the US Marine Corps and canoeing and sail-boating excursions with my father, supplemented by reading books and visiting museum ships and by terms I learned by reading some of the study materials my wife brought home as a part of her volunteering with the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
Thus my vocabulary is based upon "American" English language, with a long list of terms that were derived from British English and "Age of Sail" etymology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Huge amounts of Royal Naval terminology and slang have made their way into the English language, many are in common everyday usage in the UK without the users being aware of their origin or indeed their original meaning. Here is just one of numerous online Naval Slang dictionaries.

https://arkroyal.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=145

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't really have a 'nautical background' so my limited knowledge comes from books. In Spanish, a lot of the nautical terminology is very specific and unralated from common speech... I'm fairly sure a lot of people has no idea about some very basic naval terms meaning. Also many words are kinda archaic, dating back to XIII-XV centuries (Spain was a major naval power at the time) so people today have no idea unless they work on naval related stuff. 

This is an interesting dictionary for naval terms in spanish/french and english: https://diccionario-nautico.com.ar/diccionario-trilingue-de-terminos-nauticos-espanol-francais-english/#google_vignette

We share many words with the french, I'm not sure about their origin... could be ours, could be theirs or even a common latin root. 

• Like 1

Besides the age old terms borrowed from english sea-worthy adventures, having served in the u.s. navy for a short 6 years they lean heavily on acronyms -> in an effort to speed up communication and it does so quite nicely.

• Like 1

ROMFT

An oft quoted acronym in the RN, pertains to the length of the old full signing on of twelve years. Roll On My F$%^&*g Twelve.

RYBWG

The sequence of colour markers on a chain, Red, Yellow, Blue, White, Green. Also widely known by the mnemonic "Rub Your Balls With Grease".

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

In Spanish, a lot of the nautical terminology is very specific and unralated from common speech... [..]. Also many words are kinda archaic, dating back to XIII-XV centuries (Spain was a major naval power at the time) so people today have no idea unless they work on naval related stuff. 

We share many words with the french, I'm not sure about their origin... could be ours, could be theirs or even a common latin root. 

Yes, a lot of similarities, i'm not a linguist, but i guess they kept their original meaning whereas it changed in common language.

In the French naval carpentry glossary there is a striking exemple :  the cant timbers/frames. In French it's "couples dévoyés" (coopl daywoayay). Even in French, it's hilarious.

Edited by Latouche_Treville
  • Like 3

I forgot to mention that there are a lot of words coming from old norse and dutch.

• Like 1