Analysis - WG is filling my drive

https://windirstat.net/

I notice of late that my SSD drive has reached the half way point of being filled. I then downloaded windirstat (free program) and ran it on my SSD drive where WG products are installed. I found out that WG has taken 63% of my hard drive. What is filling it up the drive is all these package files for the WG games. I look at other games and their package files are not so large. Maybe its the game engine or the lack of game optimization for these large amount of files? I may have to get a bigger boat. 🦈

windirstat.jpg

requirements.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

All I can say, is if WoWs is taking up 63% of ssd(or hdd?), you need some bigger storage. Even a 1TB ssd doesn’t cost that much anymore, assuming you have the option to upgrade. 

Check your PC and what options you have for adding a second drive. A decent 1TB SATA drive can be had for about $55, an M.2 NVME for a little more. Install it and move your games folder and use WGC to pick up the new game location.

I don't know a thing about computers. I bought my current one used and had to have the friend check the games stats to make sure it would run it before I bought it from him lol. 

That being said, I always assumed when I needed to download another few gig update, it was overwritting previous info. Is it really just adding more and more? 

7 minutes ago, mashed68 said:

That being said, I always assumed when I needed to download another few gig update, it was overwritting previous info. Is it really just adding more and more?

Far as I know, in the ideal case it does indeed delete old info. However, not infrequently patches/updates are added extra, because it can be easier to address an problem that has arisen than correct the code that is at fault. Big version releases can correct for this, by incorporating the patches/updates properly. So the way I understand it, uninstalling the program every year or two and reinstalling  could free up a load of space.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mashed68 said:

I don't know a thing about computers. I bought my current one used and had to have the friend check the games stats to make sure it would run it before I bought it from him lol. That being said, I always assumed when I needed to download another few gig update, it was overwritting previous info. Is it really just adding more and more? 

8 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Far as I know, in the ideal case it does indeed delete old info. However, not infrequently patches/updates are added extra, because it can be easier to address an problem that has arisen than correct the code that is at fault. Big version releases can correct for this, by incorporating the patches/updates properly. So the way I understand it, uninstalling the program every year or two and reinstalling  could free up a load of space.

Lets say WoWS is not the same game from eight years ago. Requirements change over the years. It now takes 64 GB of drive space for WoWS. I was just surprise that WG was the leader in that category. Besides have anyone else done an audit of your drives to see what is taking up your drive space? I didn't notice it until of late. I am OK with what I am seeing, it's just I have to make decisions in the future in regards to drive space.

Currently, the game takes up appx 52 GB of memory...it's easily the largest single item on my laptop. If memory space ever becomes critical, I'll have to explore other options.

WoWS and WoWS PTS occupy about 140GB of one of my discs. My desktop had 3TB on 2 separate NVMe SSD s so space is not an issue for me. The drives were freebies sent to me for review, just in case you think I spend my money on stupid things... well I do just not SSDs.

My Steam library on this machine is 580GB, biggest culprit there is Shadow of War which comes in at 125GB installed.

20 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

Besides have anyone else done an audit of your drives to see what is taking up your drive space? 

Nope. But since I have only downloaded and installed world of warships ever, I'm probably good lol.