Does this forum have a dedicated Teamspeak or Discord server for players that wanna Div up for casual (read drunken/Viking) game play?

OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

54 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

What are everyone's thoughts on that?

I agree with your thoughts about the basic info of located, detected, smoke, etc. used in msgs.  I would like to see WHO is sending that message.  Translating a player's name to which ship and then finding them on the mini-map takes a bit of time.

Messages typed in battle-chat include the sender's in-game name.

Pressing and holding the "TAB" key will display the team rosters, which list ship and player names.

50 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Pressing and holding the "TAB" key will display the team rosters, which list ship and player names.

Or a mod will enhance chat with name and ship. If a person is into mods.

There are mods in Aslain's pack

Improved chat by Autopsy and Roslich

Edited by Latouche_Treville

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

22 minutes ago, thornzero said:

Or a mod will enhance chat with name and ship. If a person is into mods.

20 minutes ago, Latouche_Treville said:

While I appreciate that you've mentioned which mods offer enhanced chat, I was adhering to a principle I learned from a quote in the Apollo 13 movie.
Basically, I didn't want to offer help or advice that would depend upon a player installing mods. 
I wanted to keep my comments congruent with the "stock" game, so that everyone could utilize the information.

Quote:
Ken Mattingly : I need a flashlight.

[one is offered] 

Ken Mattingly : That's not what they have up there. Don't give me anything they don't have on board.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112384/characters/nm0000641?ref_=tt_cl_c_4

25 minutes ago, Latouche_Treville said:

I believe both are also still included in the ModStation.

I say “still” because after the separation with Lesta and the forum closure a lot of mods have gone dormant.

Edited by Nevermore135

31 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

While I appreciate that you've mentioned which mods offer enhanced chat, I was adhering to a principle I learned from a quote in the Apollo 13 movie.
Basically, I didn't want to offer help or advice that would depend upon a player installing mods. 
I wanted to keep my comments congruent with the "stock" game, so that everyone could utilize the information.

That is fine, but all of the information is indeed important. You might want to stay vanilla, but other information is okay, too. Unless you prefer to censor; which is not ideal.

5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I'm quoting you because you've touched on a relevant aspect of this topic's discussion.

I'm saying all of this \/\/\/\/\/ in an effort to educate everyone who plays this game. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
et al..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While serving in the USMC, I was taught the S.A.L.U.T.E. acronym.
Size.  Activity.  Location.  Unit.  Time.  Equipment.
The purpose was to organize and prioritize the information reported back up the chain of command when making observations on the battlefield, and to standardize the information in a recognizeable format.

I feel it can be useful, in principle, in WOWs. 
The details may vary, but the idea of providing "just the facts, ma'am" and avoiding unnecessary "chatter" or bandwidth wasting emotional outbursts seems relevant, in my opinion.

What are everyone's thoughts on that?

In my Career in Combat Arms in the Army, we used METTT   (mission  enemy  troops  terrain  time...)  Marines couldn't handle non-word associated acronyms......

1 hour ago, Asym said:

In my Career in Combat Arms in the Army, we used METTT   (mission  enemy  troops  terrain  time...)  Marines couldn't handle non-word associated acronyms......

Heh.  Similar purposes and principles.  But Marines have better recipes for crayons.  😉 

• Haha 1

Does anyone else see the humor in this? I mean "most" of us are here because WG closed the forums and went to Discord and we hate Discord and won't use it. So, a forum created to avoid Discord has its own Discord LOL. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4207838

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Does anyone else see the humor in this? I mean "most" of us are here because WG closed the forums and went to Discord and we hate Discord and won't use it. So, a forum created to avoid Discord has its own Discord LOL. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4207838

It's a Mystery ?!?

image.png.84b1e8d8cd94effd9eba29a837338a8a.png

6 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4207838

Yeah. Though voicecomms are perhaps slightly more practical during game than forum posts. 

Discord can be a decent discussion format, provided the subject is clearly and strictly defined and/or the number of participants is low. For general all-purpose discussion about a popular mp game, it's quite shit. 

15 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

While I do see your point, I will offer this observation: WG (for reasons they expressed or what anyone here believes) shut the old forums down, believing they could turn their Discord channel into a forum.  Even Discord, in its own words, states: "Discord is a communication tool that allows users to stay connected with their communities and friends over text, voice, and video chat."  Discord was NEVER intended to be a forum function.

What WG tried to do with the old forums (a square peg) was to ram them into Discord (a round hole).  Not only is Discord not designed to be a forum, but the forced move also alienated a part of the player base that, in all reality, created their success in $$$'s and loyal following over many years.

And yes, DevStrike was created to (1) avoid Discord as a forum function and (2) offer a part of the player base a home (new forum) to express their views and opinions - without WG as the broker of any type of discussion they may like or dislike.

However, as much as this forum (DevStrike) is the heart and soul of real discussion and various other resources, it is also in our members' and the forum's interest to utilize all the available "tools."  These tools include our own YouTube and Twitch channels and Discord to complement our current and any planned future activities.

Unfortunately, our forum has limitations in various functions we wish we could incorporate but are frankly impossible to do. For example, the forum does not have a voice or streaming/video function.  Having the availability of other platforms gives us this option.  Currently, our "DevStike WoWs Community" Discord allows this and states, "This Discord server is hosted and managed by DevStrike! Forum for the purpose of offering a convenient platform for gaming communications, friendship, and comradery among forum members and their guests to division up in various game modes."  So, in other words, we are using Discord as a voice communications platform, as it was originally and intentionally designed for.

We have already used our Discord for group and one-on-one voice and video training purposes.  It is also useful and currently being used for automatic alerts of various streamers such as @Lord_Zath, @ChaosMachineGR, @clydeplays, @SeaRaptor, @FlimsyLunchTray, @Admiral_Revan, @Minihannibal65, @OnlySmedto name a few, along with several forum members who stream.  I would have never caught @Ensign Cthulhu's Twitch stream this past weekend without this feature, as it alerted me immediately when he started to stream.  If you are part of our Discord server, you will see these alerts.

Having a Discord channel also allows us to stream (to Twitch or YouTube) any future contests DevStrike may hold or even members' division matches.  The forum itself just cannot do this function.

Our Discord channel also gives us additional streaming functions that would not be available in our forum, such as "DevStrike Cinema" - just sitting back and relaxing while viewing a movie.  More on this will be formally announced soon.

So, while it may be humorous to see that DevStrike has a Discord channel, "think about it" - if these platforms are used as they were intended, it makes perfect sense.  They, in fact, complement each other due to the various limitations each one possesses.

What is really humorous is that a group of rag-tag former forum members figured out how to use these platforms (the way they were intended) without alienating various segments of their player base. 

Finally, as @Asym pointed out, when you have to "walk through how to enable the PTT function" in-game, there is a corporate failure to communicate basic game functions to the player base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, HogHammer said:

While I do see your point, I will offer this observation: WG (for reasons they expressed or what anyone here believes) shut the old forums down, believing they could turn their Discord channel into a forum.  Even Discord, in its own words, states: "Discord is a communication tool that allows users to stay connected with their communities and friends over text, voice, and video chat."  Discord was NEVER intended to be a forum function.

What WG tried to do with the old forums (a square peg) was to ram them into Discord (a round hole).  Not only is Discord not designed to be a forum, but the forced move also alienated a part of the player base that, in all reality, created their success in $$$'s and loyal following over many years.

And yes, DevStrike was created to (1) avoid Discord as a forum function and (2) offer a part of the player base a home (new forum) to express their views and opinions - without WG as the broker of any type of discussion they may like or dislike.

However, as much as this forum (DevStrike) is the heart and soul of real discussion and various other resources, it is also in our members' and the forum's interest to utilize all the available "tools."  These tools include our own YouTube and Twitch channels and Discord to complement our current and any planned future activities.

Unfortunately, our forum has limitations in various functions we wish we could incorporate but are frankly impossible to do. For example, the forum does not have a voice or streaming/video function.  Having the availability of other platforms gives us this option.  Currently, our "DevStike WoWs Community" Discord allows this and states, "This Discord server is hosted and managed by DevStrike! Forum for the purpose of offering a convenient platform for gaming communications, friendship, and comradery among forum members and their guests to division up in various game modes."  So, in other words, we are using Discord as a voice communications platform, as it was originally and intentionally designed for.

We have already used our Discord for group and one-on-one voice and video training purposes.  It is also useful and currently being used for automatic alerts of various streamers such as @Lord_Zath, @ChaosMachineGR, @clydeplays, @SeaRaptor, @FlimsyLunchTray, @Admiral_Revan, @Minihannibal65, @OnlySmedto name a few, along with several forum members who stream.  I would have never caught @Ensign Cthulhu's Twitch stream this past weekend without this feature, as it alerted me immediately when he started to stream.  If you are part of our Discord server, you will see these alerts.

Having a Discord channel also allows us to stream (to Twitch or YouTube) any future contests DevStrike may hold or even members' division matches.  The forum itself just cannot do this function.

Our Discord channel also gives us additional streaming functions that would not be available in our forum, such as "DevStrike Cinema" - just sitting back and relaxing while viewing a movie.  More on this will be formally announced soon.

So, while it may be humorous to see that DevStrike has a Discord channel, "think about it" - if these platforms are used as they were intended, it makes perfect sense.  They, in fact, complement each other due to the various limitations each one possesses.

What is really humorous is that a group of rag-tag former forum members figured out how to use these platforms (the way they were intended) without alienating various segments of their player base. 

Finally, as @Asym pointed out, when you have to "walk through how to enable the PTT function" in-game, there is a corporate failure to communicate basic game functions to the player base.

Just commenting on the humor in it. People can do whatever they wish. Nothing negative was meant or implied nor any offense intended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1