Does this forum have a dedicated Teamspeak or Discord server for players that wanna Div up for casual (read drunken/Viking) game play?

OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

Dont really know what to write here since I crammed it all into the title  ........

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

My moher always told me not to play with casual dunken Swedish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Latouche_Treville said:

My moher always told me not to play with casual dunken Swedish.

Dear Sir, I would say that you're mother is a wise woman that has a good head on her shoulders and you should listen to her more!

• Haha 3

• OldSchoolGaming_Youtube changed the title to Does this forum have a dedicated Teamspeak or Discord server for players that wanna Div up for casual (read drunken/Viking) game play?

Yes, there is a discord for the forum: https://discord.gg/NSQ9t97h9s

But it is very touch and go with activity.

(Fixed the Discord link in this message and also the Discord icon link located at the bottom of each forum page)

ty

Edited by thornzero
Discord link edit/update
  • Like 4

Is it an hindrance?

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Does this forum have a dedicated Teamspeak or Discord server for players that wanna Div up for casual (read drunken/Viking) game play?
Dont really know what to write here since I crammed it all into the title  ........

I've been known to division-up with players I know from here on the forum.  But, I don't have teamspeak or discord.
I merely type via port messages and battle-chat.

My gaming is done with a laptop in our home's living-room, and the television is frequently on (and could be heard in the background and I don't want that to be something other players are forced to hear).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Teamspeak

(edited the quote just to highlight Teamspeak)

Old School Gaming indeed! I used that back in the early 2000s... is it still a thing? lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xamdam said:

(edited the quote just to highlight Teamspeak)

Old School Gaming indeed! I used that back in the early 2000s... is it still a thing? lol

I think it's bigger in WoT (which is understandable since it's an older game.) haven't seen TS being used for WoWs ever, but a lot of clans recruiting in the tanks discord use teamspeak almost exclusively.

• Like 1

Ew, teamspeak. What's next, skype calls? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IRC ? 😁

Maybe it would be easier to enter members of the forum as contacts ingame ? Or simply contact each other by PMs ?

And don't forget => this forum gathers players form EU, NA and ASIA. Maybe the different time zones can be a problem.
Not to speak of the different servers =>  I play on EU server and (far less) on the NA server.
But for those who play only in their region, it would probably imply to create another account... and start again from the beginning. Not really appealing I fear.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well ...... I AM Oldschool Gaming .... Im actually playing WoWs on my Commodor 64.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Well ...... I AM Oldschool Gaming .... Im actually playing WoWs on my Commodor 64.

I seriously wish that would be possible, lol. I have very fond memories of the C64 and the Amiga.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

LOAD "*", 8,1 for suffering? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

someone wanted to know about our discord, like way up in this thread... yeah, our link was dead. Now updated, so knock yourself out.

and btw, anyone remember Telnet? I loved that system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

someone wanted to know about our discord, like way up in this thread... yeah, our link was dead. Now updated, so knock yourself out.

and btw, anyone remember Telnet? I loved that system.

It rings a bell.

image.jpeg.381cd0fe4af2f8044e4374ee04b8211f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Ew, teamspeak. What's next, skype calls? 

Short-wave radio or H.A.M. radio?  🙂 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave_radio
https://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-history

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Walkie... talkie?

<snip>

Some of us lived with and used Walkie-Talkie radios, and Citizen's Band Radios (a.k.a. CB-Radio).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkie-talkie
https://www.explainthatstuff.com/walkie-talkies.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I Just upgraded my system and WOWS looks great on it 

WOWS.jpg.5f05ea3566cac82189d3c672e9b3c6ab.jpg

WOWS1.jpg.638a595fc52fa7b3ca1d297f7ba1b5f4.jpg

WOWS2.jpg.c2e9d1a0033d728d057fca7aed86364b.jpg

MS DOS the only way to play WOWS

WG really excelled in the graphics this time.

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've been known to division-up with players I know from here on the forum.  But, I don't have teamspeak or discord.
I merely type via port messages and battle-chat.

My gaming is done with a laptop in our home's living-room, and the television is frequently on (and could be heard in the background and I don't want that to be something other players are forced to hear).

It's called "push to talk" and we have two regular evening players that we had to "walk through how to enable the PTT function"....  Again, you are more than welcome to join us most evening .......  but, PTT Discord is the reality of how this game is meant to be played as a "team..."   And yes, we have several clan mates and close friends from other clans that have and play on Laptops...  My gaming computer is in the TV room -  talk about a distraction in work....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asym said:

It's called "push to talk" and we have two regular evening players that we had to "walk through how to enable the PTT function"....  Again, you are more than welcome to join us most evening .......  but, PTT Discord is the reality of how this game is meant to be played as a "team..."   And yes, we have several clan mates and close friends from other clans that have and play on Laptops...  My gaming computer is in the TV room -  talk about a distraction in work....

I'm quoting you because you've touched on a relevant aspect of this topic's discussion.

I'm saying all of this \/\/\/\/\/ in an effort to educate everyone who plays this game. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ive listened to how people talk to one another in-game (via Twitch streams or youtube videos).
Most of what people say is vague or is just emotional reactions to their predicament while simultaneously not providing useful information.
Sometimes, it's the verbal equivalent of someone spamming quick-messages via the "B" key, or vague map-pings which don't provide context (by themselves).

I prefer to have commuication that is useful.
Examples:
"Located" = explains that at least one of the opponents is using the Radio Direction Finding skill and that my ship is located by RDF.

"Detected" = while self explanatory, a mini-map glance can tell me where the player is and what ship they're sailing.  With that, I can make guesses or deductions.

"Smokescreen (at location) G-2"  = tells me there's something which put a smokescreen in that location.  The smoke may have been set by a ship while it was undetected.  Whether or not a ship is still hiding inside the smoke remains to be determined (for the moment).

"Nearest ship, bearing 040 degrees from my ship's course" = Imagine that I am using Radio Direction Finding and am providing what it is telling me to my team.  That phrasing allows my team to look at the mini-map, see which direction my ship is saiilng in, and draw an imaginary line to my ship's starboard which is 40 degrees to starboard of my ship's bow (which is considered zero degrees bearing).  If I'm sailing "due North" on the game's map, then the located ship would be roughly northeast of my ship's position.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While serving in the USMC, I was taught the S.A.L.U.T.E. acronym.
Size.  Activity.  Location.  Unit.  Time.  Equipment.
The purpose was to organize and prioritize the information reported back up the chain of command when making observations on the battlefield, and to standardize the information in a recognizeable format.

I feel it can be useful, in principle, in WOWs. 
The details may vary, but the idea of providing "just the facts, ma'am" and avoiding unnecessary "chatter" or bandwidth wasting emotional outbursts seems relevant, in my opinion.

What are everyone's thoughts on that?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Im actually playing WoWs on my Commodor 64.

Some of the games for the C64 were actually pretty amazing for their time. It helped that the video and sound chips were basically game-engine level for their day.

Hell, the 64 is technically still being sold as THE64 - it's a Raspberry Pi emulator with USB interfaces in an authentic-looking shell with an authentic-feeling keyboard, so it won't take any of the old peripherals, but it lives on and you can program for it as you would have in the good old days. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tm63au said:

I Just upgraded my system and WOWS looks great on it 

WOWS.jpg.5f05ea3566cac82189d3c672e9b3c6ab.jpg

WOWS1.jpg.638a595fc52fa7b3ca1d297f7ba1b5f4.jpg

WOWS2.jpg.c2e9d1a0033d728d057fca7aed86364b.jpg

MS DOS the only way to play WOWS

WG really excelled in the graphics this time.

What game are these from?

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

What are everyone's thoughts on that?

I agree with your thoughts about the basic info of located, detected, smoke, etc. used in msgs.  I would like to see WHO is sending that message.  Translating a player's name to which ship and then finding them on the mini-map takes a bit of time.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

What game are these from?

SSG Carriers at War, its a golden great from bygone days

The Complete Carriers at War: Fleet Carrier Operations in World War II  (1996) - MobyGames

i should point out the screen shots are from the MS DOS days , the windows 95 version were even better

Edited by tm63au
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1