A mathematical perspective on 21 point commanders.

Ensign Cthulhu

On 7/17/2024 at 10:33 AM, WES_HoundDog said:

Best solution.

Forget all this and just free commander xp to 10. and consider anything after that fluff*.   (*unless your in a gunboat dd or secondary BB)

Never do that. Special captains exempted.

You can always directly pay credits for a lvl 10 captain immediately.

Pushing them beyond that where it actually gets expensive and/or time-consuming.

1 hour ago, Verytis said:

You can always directly pay credits for a lvl 10 captain immediately.

Its 1500 doubloons for the instant level 10 captain. The one you can get for credits comes in at level 6, which is fine to a certain extent... but if you need concealment immediately they aren't going to do you much good without being FXP'd those four levels to 10.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I think it helps to have one as early as you can swing it. Get a T5 or T6 coal premium and a matching 35K coal commander as soon as you have the resources, and rock on. The first one will help generate ECXP for the rest, and to help move commanders up the line. 

But the Commander rework ensured that even one 21 pointer in a particular nation is enough. If I were starting out from scratch, I would ensure that those were the unique commanders (Halsey, Yamamoto, Kuznetsov, etc), although I would probably take one of the "seasoned" commanders to 21 first, e.g. Jack Dunkirk or John Doe, and I would use the climb to Tier 8 and the Halsey and Yamamoto grinds as carrots to get him there. He could then help generate ECXP for the rest.

I'd not recommend a T6 coal ship these days, I think they're best off getting a referral code for free Warspite and saving the coal for a T9 or T10.

Grinding the campaigns for Halsey or Yamato is also a great way to try and get ahead of that curve. And you can finish both in coop now iirc. 

2 hours ago, Kynami said:

Its 1500 doubloons for the instant level 10 captain. The one you can get for credits comes in at level 6, which is fine to a certain extent... but if you need concealment immediately they aren't going to do you much good without being FXP'd those four levels to 10.

My mistake there.

Although I should still mention that credits are a 3rd means of raising captain levels, via repeatedly buying and dismissing captains for cxp. It's expensive and not something to be done by new players, but can help boost through lower levels or cross small gaps. It is what I used to do before I got my lvl 21 captains.

6 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Grinding the campaigns for Halsey or Yamato is also a great way to try and get ahead of that curve.

Yes, but you can't touch those until you're at Tier 8. 

6 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

I think they're best off getting a referral code for free Warspite

I don't think the Warspite is the ship being offered for that code any more, or I would agree with you. My intention was to discourage newer players from lusting immediately for a T9-plus ship and getting into high tiers before they are ready. 

5 hours ago, Verytis said:

Although I should still mention that credits are a 3rd means of raising captain levels, via repeatedly buying and dismissing captains for cxp. It's expensive and not something to be done by new players, but can help boost through lower levels or cross small gaps. It is what I used to do before I got my lvl 21 captains.

Yes. 
Purchasing a 6-point Commander for 900,000 credits, and then dismissing them and recovering some CXP in exchange for more credits is an expensive process.
But, I've done it, in the past. 
I wanted to level-up some commanders (for *reasons*) and I had the credits to spare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Yes, but you can't touch those until you're at Tier 8. 

I don't think the Warspite is the ship being offered for that code any more, or I would agree with you. My intention was to discourage newer players from lusting immediately for a T9-plus ship and getting into high tiers before they are ready. 

Just checked it is Repluse now. 

In light of the thread topic I believed we were focused on efficiency all around, plus as you know you can easily hit 37000k x through coop/ops. 

Middle ground would be going for Flint for operations farming, it's not as strong anymore with so many taking T8s but the smoke can be very useful for survivability. 

Would take around 63 days to get Flint just based on coal crates. I'd still aim for a Pommern or Salem as first coal ship as they will help with credits, capt training, and the campaigns. Roughly 85 days for Pommern and 90 for Salem. Napoli and Brisbane are also closer runner ups for mission farming. 

On 7/16/2024 at 8:57 AM, Aethervox said:

A few are getting close 

A 20 pter & a 19 pter. Many in the mid teens, most, at least 10 & some still below 10 (but not many). Who knows how many 21 pters I will have when Wedgie goes extinct.