I've done it, I now have all special/unique normally available commanders!

Jakeshuffle

Sa Zhenbing I think was the last commander I was missing! I don't have the Ovekchin commanders, but I don't think I can get them anymore. Now I just need to Git Gud. Is that skill available on any special commanders or do I need to come by that naturally? (sarcasm)

What are your favorite ships to have the unique commanders on? Lutjens I have down, but some of the others I don't have great homes for yet since I don't play Carriers.

Edited by Jakeshuffle
  • Like 5

I like Sansonetti on Napoli and Michelangelo, Kuznetsov is good on any russian ship, especially BBs, Sa Zhenbing i haven't used much as i lack Pan Asian ships, but i was able to reliable activate his talents on Irian and Dalian. Still miss Swirski (will be the next one i get), Cunningham and Aubonyeau, so i can't say anything about them.

Too bad you can't get the Ovechkin commanders anymore, would love to get them.

• Thanks 1

I don't have any of them yet; but have just started to switch gears and save some coal. Campaigns are going to have to wait because I am not ready for T8 randoms yet.

Yesterday, @Lord_Zath presented a great review of the captains and the best ships to utilize their talents.  He was kind enough to post the spreadsheet he used today on his Discord channel in (guides-and-resources).  

Here is the link to nations, captains, and ships:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yPjw03MewvZxkAo5WMLWBYDwpKzVRW7CpgA6oLFYqzk/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to watch him discuss his picks, here is the YouTube video bookmarked at about the 50-minute mark. It is long but worth the view—just set some time aside for yourself.

If you wish to join Lord_Zath's Discord (lots of good stuff), just follow the link on his "About" page on Twitch: About Lord_Zath - Twitch

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, thornzero said:

I don't have any of them yet; but have just started to switch gears and save some coal. Campaigns are going to have to wait because I am not ready for T8 randoms yet.

You can repeat tasks if you're just wanting to get the stars, as a heads up.

• Thanks 1

Sa Zhebing works great with my Yueyang and Jinan.

Yamamoto with my Yamato

I wont mention even russian one, he works with everything, saving you from last blow.

Bit favorite one is definitly Sa Zhebing with youyang, I love that dd.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Same here.  A perfect match of captain/ship.

26 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Even more reason I want that dd! The line is really fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

but some of the others I don't have great homes for yet since I don't play Carriers.

IMHO Cunningham is probably the only one whose skills lean heavily toward CV, and that's where I have mine, but I've heard of plenty of people who put him on surface ships and trigger his talents there. 

2 hours ago, thornzero said:

Campaigns are going to have to wait because I am not ready for T8 randoms yet.

Both Halsey and Yamamoto can be obtained in co-op. Yamamoto's XP and credits missions were co-op enabled some time back, and Halsey's always have been. It's a longer road, but do-able. You can work on the two of them together, although I'm pretty sure you will get Yamamoto first.

1 hour ago, HogHammer said:

Same here.  A perfect match of captain/ship.

If I hadn't yet started the Pan-Asian DD line, I'd be kicking it off with Zhenbing and taking him all the way to the top. Alas, I think I'd finished before he was even available, but he did get to command the YueYang. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I've done it, I now have all special/unique normally available commanders!
Sa Zhenbing I think was the last commander I was missing! I don't have the Ovekchin commanders, but I don't think I can get them anymore. Now I just need to Git Gud. Is that skill available on any special commanders or do I need to come by that naturally? (sarcasm)

What are your favorite ships to have the unique commanders on? Lutjens I have down, but some of the others I don't have great homes for yet since I don't play Carriers.

Congratulations.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

I have all the Legendary Capt's (gold star & text) and all of the next level down (not sure what they call it now - used to be special) that have the silver star and text. 

Legendary:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Special:

Spoiler

spacer.png

I have most all of the other special Capt's too, that don't have any special skills, like Dasha (have all nations), Dusty Rhodes, Horrace Hood, etc.... Only ones I don't have are the Boob Sisters, the 2 German ones for doubloons that are in the armory right now, and the Russian one in the armory now for doubloons. I don't need any Captains as my reserves are full and all ships that need one have one. If a special Capt comes out with enhanced skills I will get it. I always get the Legendary ones as well. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I have all the Legendary Capt's (gold star & text) and all of the next level down (not sure what they call it now - used to be special) that have the silver star and text. 

Legendary:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Special:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

I have most all of the other special Capt's too, that don't have any special skills, like Dasha (have all nations), Dusty Rhodes, Horrace Hood, etc.... Only ones I don't have are the Boob Sisters, the 2 German ones for doubloons that are in the armory right now, and the Russian one in the armory now for doubloons. I don't need any Captains as my reserves are full and all ships that need one have one. If a special Capt comes out with enhanced skills I will get it. I always get the Legendary ones as well. 

one has to question when is WG finally adding the rest of seasoned commander (commander with enhanced skills) and unique commanders (unique perks), many nations  still dont have them.

3 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

one has to question when is WG finally adding the rest of seasoned commander (commander with enhanced skills) and unique commanders (unique perks), many nations  still dont have them.

They are doing a Legendary one for Pan America (assuming it will come out when the BB's do).

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/540

11 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

They are doing a Legendary one for Pan America (assuming it will come out when the BB's do).

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/540

that commander looks nice, Not sure i would put a unique perk designed around combat instructions.

rather have something like: "-1% ship consumables reload time every 120000 potential damage".

In case you're confused as to the difference between the different captain designations:

Special commanders perform the same functions as standard commanders, but have additional bonuses or traits that make them different from their freely-recruited counterparts. Thus a Special commander has a fixed portrait and name. They may be earned via in-game participation, for instance as a reward for a set of event missions or at the end of a lengthy campaign. Many are now available in the Armory.

100px-Talented_CO_Halsey.png A Talented commander. 100px-Skilled_CO_JDoe.png A Skilled commander.

An WoWs_icon_modernization_special.png Enhanced Skill is a common skill that any commander may have, but with an enhanced effect. The commander must acquire the skill for the effect to be enhanced. All commanders available through the Armory come with at least 10 skill points.

A Talent is an ability similar to a very powerful skill that activates in unusual circumstances. Talents will not activate during a Clan Battle or in a Training Room. Some talents are activated by earning an achievement that can only be earned in Random or Ranked battles.

A Skilled commander is a special commander with Enhanced Skills.

A Talented commander is a special commander with Talents. All Talented commanders are also Skilled commanders. Talented commanders are commonly called Legendary commanders. They may also be known as Heroic or Historic.

Talented or Legendary commanders do not allow themselves to be dismissed.

Players can have only one copy of each Skilled or Talented commander.

A Historic commander is the World of Warships commemoration of a commander who existed in world history. He may have enhanced skills, or talents, or neither.

Skilled and Talented commanders have a star before their names. Talented commanders are displayed with a gold starIcon_commander_name_unique.png, a gold name, and in the commanders screens, a gold portrait background. Skilled commanders are displayed with a white starIcon_commander_name_enhanced.png and a sky blue background. Other special commanders have a haze gray background with no star.

Here is a list of all of the "special captains"

Special Commanders - Global wiki. Wargaming.net

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

Good job congrats!

• Thanks 1

Picked up Cunningham today for Jutland, the only one I'm missing now is the Pan Euro and unreleased Pan American commanders. 

• Like 1

Zhenbig for YY, Luigi for Venezia, Yamamoto in Haru, Halsey on Maine, Kutznerdzov on Novosibirsk, Lutjens in Z52, Auboneau for Cassard and Cunningham in Devastation becausee for some reason I thought I wouldn't hate that ship. 

Edited by Itwastuesday
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

The way I play is I usually play one really strong silver ship on each nation and other than that mostly premiums. So for me its not hard, I put all my Legendary captains on the strong silver ship and then I switch him over to all the premiums of that nation i play as well, so I can pretty much trigger Legendary captains special triggers in each game I play.

So my picks are:

Yamamoto - Kitakaze (and all the nations premiums)

Halsey - Annapolis (and all the nations premiums)

Kuznetssov - Zorkiy (and all the nations premiums)

Lutjens - Hindenburg (and all the nations premiums)

Cunningham - St.Vincent (and all the nations premiums)

Phillippe - Conde (and all the nations premiums)

Zhenbing - Kunming (and all the nations premiums)

Sansonetti - Venezia (and all the nations premiums)

Jerzy - Halland (and all the nations premiums)

So for example my Halsey is set on Annapolis but is also used for: Massachusetts, Alaska, Georgia, Illinois, Kearsarge, Missouri, Sherman (range build), Ohio, Wisconsin, Congress, Rochester.  So I get Halseys benefits in all of them.

I could have used it on Black, Kidd and Sims (normal short range gun build) as well but that doesn't work as well with my Sherman long range build so for those 3 I use one other "normal" 21 point captain who I switch between those 3 premiums. My Somers has more of a standard IJN torp boat DD (RPF, torps etc) build so she gets a special captain as well.

Kutznetsov who is another almost broken/OP Legendary captain also gets used in ships like S-189, Chakalov, Smolensk and Kutuzov.

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

the Boob Sisters,

🤣

• Haha 2