I find it fascinating WoWS sponsored this video

ArIskandir

Seemingly unrelated, this video is about a streamer 'quiting' Escape from Tarkov (no rage, actually very nice exposition) and is sponsored by WoWS... oddly (or not) everything that's said also matches perfectly with WoWS engagement dynamics.

It's an interesting topic and isn't too long

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

The content creator needs an editor, I feel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Seemingly unrelated, this video is about a streamer 'quiting' Escape from Tarkov (no rage, actually very nice exposition) and is sponsored by WoWS... oddly (or not) everything that's said also matches perfectly with WoWS engagement dynamics.

Interesting....Very interesting...

• Like 2

I think you're right about the engagement dynamics being the same as WoWs

Very interesting.... as someone @HogHammer said...

• Like 1

What... WG is sponsoring videos that tell you not to play other games or something?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

What... WG is sponsoring videos that tell you not to play other games or something?

Long story short, WG is sponsoring a video that tells you games like WoWS conduct behavioral manipulation of its players to keep you hooked up to a never ending cycle of updates and it is OK to stop playing them if you no longer enjoy the experience

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Long story short, WG is sponsoring a video that tells you games like WoWS conduct behavioral manipulation of its players to keep you hooked up to a never ending cycle of updates and it is OK to stop playing them if you no longer enjoy the experience

Now I've heard everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

WG knows their target audience are the type who will know this to be true and think they are smart enough to beat the house...while not being smart enough.

🤣

• Haha 3

The devs probably hate their jobs because WEGEE treats them like crap.  So the developers insert cancer into the game to hurt the game.  The players complain and the owners (when not on the beach) see this and start firing devs.   So the devs put out these videos to get rid of the people that complain so the owners don't see the complaints.

Makes sense

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

to get rid of the people that complain

46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif

Ummm I think that this is veering well into tinfoil hat territory.

Most Dev's that I have met (regardless of studio) like what they do, and while some (most?) can give you examples of things in their area of responsibility that they think would improve the game if changed all of them have to play according to the "studio songbook". Given the level at which things interact, this is generally a good thing, so the idea of a "developer inserts cancer to hurt the game" (AKA killing off the thing that pays their salary) seems pretty ridiculous on a number of levels. If successful they kill the game and are out of a job. If noticed they are fired and out of a job. Really if they hate it that much, why don't they just go and get another job? The market for proven developers with experience on A-list titles, while not as tight as it was before several studios did massive layoffs in the last year is still robust. This is completely ignoring the fact that the Dev's are NOT the folks who make advertising decisions: are they paying for these adverts themselves? 

How about an alternative explanation?

WG tracks a bunch of folks who stream games, and has a metric that outlines effectiveness (lets say $ per 10,000 followers) and places ads with those streamers that meet their metrics. If it's not a stream on their game, would they even review the content? Their objective is to get this ad in front of folks who are engaged enough in ANOTHER game to watch youtube videos, suggesting that this is an effective way of acquiring new members. The video includes a "special code" for goodies, so that WG can track who joined as a result of a specific ad spend. While this may have been counterproductive, the ad folks may have decided that spending on "Escape from Tarkov" or even "Youtube content creator cluster 7b" is not effective spending, rather than watching all of the videos in that spend cluster and going "Ooooooh..." This campaign may even be "effective" if the spend is across ~12 or so videos, so according to "the spreadsheet" WG would continue to invest in this targeted outreach.

I think that it's ironic (and amusing) that WoWS had an ad on this video (thanks @ArIskandir for the link) but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SureBridge said:

..but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Everybody remembers that quote but... am I the only one who would pick up on the fact that this in effect means that there are times when the cigar isn't just a cigar...... and what that actually means then?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well then, clearly that cigar is a UFO!

• Haha 3

On 7/12/2024 at 1:50 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

The content creator needs an editor, I feel.

<Lurch voice>  You rang?

• Haha 2

On 7/14/2024 at 1:57 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Everybody remembers that quote but... am I the only one who would pick up on the fact that this in effect means that there are times when the cigar isn't just a cigar...... and what that actually means then?

There was a quote taken from a late '60s song.  (Grey cells are working on who.)

"A thing's a phallic symbol if it's longer than it's wide."

Of course!  Melanie - Psychotherapy.  I love Melanie.

Freud's mystic world of meaning needn't have us mystified
It's really very simple what the psyche tries to hide:
A thing is a phallic symbol if it's longer than it's wide
As the id goes marching on...

R.I.P. Mel

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hey @iDuckman I thought that you swore off thread derails after we made this new forum 😛

1 hour ago, SureBridge said:

Hey @iDuckman I thought that you swore off thread derails after we made this new forum 😛

Just changed feathers but it's the same old duck

• Haha 3

On 7/15/2024 at 10:38 PM, SureBridge said:

NEVER!

Now what was the topic again?  Oh.  Well, we can't know the context.  It might have been aggressive, or it might have been retaliatory.

Edited by iDuckman

On 7/15/2024 at 9:58 PM, ArIskandir said:

Just changed feathers but it's the same old duck

feathers are still yellow...

• Like 1