Is Genova really that bad?

Daniel_Allan_Clark

I've been really enjoying my Genova games of late.

While I only have a 10 point captain on her, she doesn't feel completely helpless.

I built her for a meme, which is that she has astonishing torpedo reload.

Captain skills - Last Stand, Fill the Tubes, Adrenaline Rush, RPF

This means I have a 40 second reload on my four torpedoes from each side. I don't have hydro, but with RPF, I can chase down a smoked up DD...and alternate sending racks of torpedoes forward of me every 20 seconds. Any DD stupid enough to get close dies to the SAP.

Her guns have a slow reload but are 203mm at tier 5...with SAP shells. I don't need to chase citadels against enemy cruisers...I just chunk them down with SAP. Angle against me? That superstructure is nicely farmable and they have no heal.

She is fast (36 knots), maneuverable (660m turning circle with an 8.6 second rudder shift)...good range with the spotter plane (17.1km)...with 8km torps to use against overconfident battleships.

Also, you are in tier 5 matchmaking...which means your enemies are often...inexperienced.

For a ship with such a bad reputation, it's fun to just go in and triumph when everyone thinks you are useless.

20240707_164628_PISC505-Genova_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay 20240709_231333_PISC505-Genova_13_OC_new_dawn.wowsreplay

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I've been really enjoying my Genova games of late.

While I only have a 10 point captain on her, she doesn't feel completely helpless.

I built her for a meme, which is that she has astonishing torpedo reload.

Captain skills - Last Stand, Fill the Tubes, Adrenaline Rush, RPF

This means I have a 40 second reload on my four torpedoes from each side. I don't have hydro, but with RPF, I can chase down a smoked up DD...and alternate sending racks of torpedoes forward of me every 20 seconds. Any DD stupid enough to get close dies to the SAP.

Her guns have a slow reload but are 203mm at tier 5...with SAP shells. I don't need to chase citadels against enemy cruisers...I just chunk them down with SAP. Angle against me? That superstructure is nicely farmable and they have no heal.

She is fast (36 knots), maneuverable (660m turning circle with an 8.6 second rudder shift)...good range with the spotter plane (17.1km)...with 8km torps to use against overconfident battleships.

Also, you are in tier 5 matchmaking...which means your enemies are often...inexperienced.

For a ship with such a bad reputation, it's fun to just go in and triumph when everyone thinks you are useless.

20240707_164628_PISC505-Genova_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay 1.43 MB · 0 downloads 20240709_231333_PISC505-Genova_13_OC_new_dawn.wowsreplay 1.83 MB · 0 downloads

You being a good player and performing in her doesnt change the fact that thing is well shall we say of questionable merit...

• Like 1

I have experience of Genova only in Co-op, where she is quite fun.

According to WOWS stats or tomato/gg on the different servers NA, EU and ASIA, Genova comes about middle of the pack of Tier V cruisers in terms of winrate, damage, etc. in randoms.

However, being quite unique by comparison with other Tier V cruisers, a captain who knows the strengths and weaknesses of this ship and develops his playstyle accordingly could potentially do quite well. Genova is probably not as bad as her reputation.

The 20 second reload on the guns appears quite tragic, but on the other hand, a well-timed salvo into an enemy broadside can reward handsomely. Plus the torps, as Daniel describes.

Edited by Bumblegoose
typo
  • Like 1

T5 cruisers mostly suck. You can make any of them work because the other T5 cruisers aren't doing much either. It can be fun that way, no big responsibility. Personally I quite like Mikoyan, would never claim she's good tho. 

• Like 1

Genova is really fun for clubbing the ever-living daylights out of baby seals who don't know about 203mm SAP.

At least that's what I've been told... by friends... I would never stoop so low myself... that would be unconscionable...

*leaves room*

*muffled club club club club club noises*

*re-enters*

Oh you're still here... well this is awkward...

• Haha 8

10 minutes ago, torino2dc said:

Genova is really fun for clubbing the ever-living daylights out of baby seals who don't know about 203mm SAP.

At least that's what I've been told... by friends... I would never stoop so low myself... that would be unconscionable...

*leaves room*

*muffled club club club club club noises*

*re-enters*

Oh you're still here... well this is awkward...

Understand that many of us. perhaps like yourself ***, are gleefully willing to stoop ever so low is there is enough fun to be had in so doing .

• Like 1

I play it in Co-Op only  for anniversary rewards. She is a port queen for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I built her for a meme, which is

Hmm, going to have to look at my Italian captains when I get home this evening.

You certainly seem to have found a way to play to her strengths.

5 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

I play it in Co-Op only  for anniversary rewards. She is a port queen for me.

I don’t even play it for that. It is on my list of ships I use the bonus system to claim the flake reward.

• Like 1

Wait, people think Genova is bad? You literally click every other cruiser for 1/3rd of their HP, it's like playing a BB with 18" guns in a cruiser slot. 

• Like 1

Oh wait... I did play Genova...

image.thumb.png.9a2d5f995b71219a7fc66ca47ea8b5ca.png

... and felt guilty about it. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

Wait, people think Genova is bad? You literally click every other cruiser for 1/3rd of their HP, it's like playing a BB with 18" guns in a cruiser slot. 

Apparently.

I ended up getting one basically handed to me by WG because it sold so poorly and all the streamers were talking about how bad it is...

...then I played around in the ship builder tools, saw something interesting, and tried to play it...

...and discovered it's a fun ship.

22 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Even so-called weak ships, if played correctly, can shine. I find it hilarious how all the 'experts' will praise a few ships beyond all others. 😁

• Like 2

I just got it from the Beautiful Game Event... It was fun in Coop but I don't see myself playing it at all...