PSA: Bing Bloody Creator Deletes Your Images After 90 Days or So

Admiral_Karasu

By accident I discovered that Bing Creator deletes your AI generated images after a set period of 90 days. It doesn't apparently delete them all at that exact limit, but they start getting deleted at that point, apparently at random.

What this means is that you need to download and save anything you want to keep or you can kiss it goodbye forever.

Idiotic as this sounds, especially since they offer you an option to create 'collections' for different themes, this is not a cloud storage for images, what instead you have a collection of hyperlinks to those images. I nebulous but an important distinction.

Now, as this is a free service I understand there would be limitations, but the reasonable limitation would have been something like a limit on images or on file storage size. Not this, especially as they don't apparently tell people about or if they do it's in fine print in some Microsoft nether region where no man has gone at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has always been the case with web services etc. You download and backup wanted data. Nearly anything on the internet can be deleted at the discretion of the company/web host.

30 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

This has always been the case with web services etc. You download and backup wanted data. Nearly anything on the internet can be deleted at the discretion of the company/web host.

Yes, but usually in those cases there's some notification. Any company pretty much can terminate any service at their discretion, but that's not what the this case is about. Bing creator continues to be available, just not your images.

46 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Yes, but usually in those cases there's some notification. Any company pretty much can terminate any service at their discretion, but that's not what the this case is about. Bing creator continues to be available, just not your images.

Yes like I said you back up data that you want to save. The old rule was like 3 backups. Dont expect anything online to stay there. At least not for a few generations; as digitial ownership and verified digital identification wont become a thing probably for 2-3 generations from now.