Someone tell me why the USS Rhode Island is near $ 200 Canadian?

BCGrog

Someone somewhere in is prepared to pay that much for it.

Not me, though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I can assure you, if that were the case we wouldn't simply be talking about whether the ship was worth it; we'd be talking primarily about a very powerful and desirable ship being behind a paywall.

Or to put it another way: the conversation would go from "This price is stupid" to "The ship is worth that but I can't afford it".

My sense of the situation is that we are still having that first conversation.

In my case the price is a "Pfffffft" of coffee across the keyboard and a disinterest in purchasing it. Perhaps if it came in the "non-admiral" version, but only perhaps. It has similar DPM to a (tech tree) battleship. It has WAY less HE Pen (although enough to pen most decks) and the pen on its main guns is much less impressive than most ships at its tier. Armour is "meh" although it's speedy and has RADAR. We have a clan member who keeps wanting to bring theirs into CB, and has stopped asking when the answer changed from "no" to "No, we need our battleship to tank damage and smash ships, and other ships do that much better".

This isn't a T10 Missouri, it's a T10 Marlborough with less (but better) guns, armour that isn't terrible and radar. IMO It's targeted at the folks who have to have every US BB in the game. I don't think that it's a bad ship (or at least not terribad) but it's not one I'd buy. It's really not one I would buy at that price point. That said, I pay for premium time, as well as about 1/2 of the battle passes so far so I do see "value" in some of WG's offerings. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SureBridge said:

Perhaps if it came in the "non-admiral" version, but only perhaps.

The version that goes for nearly $200 CDN is the non-Admiral version! 

image.thumb.png.be4af7f16fe8827f7481d11b4e335daf.png

Mind you, the Three Kingdoms ships are equally lustful when it comes to their desires on your wallet. Possibly even more so, since they are all literally non-gimmicked versions of existing ships, two of which are tech tree and one of which is a coal premium!!!

image.thumb.png.6824ff44c999a5cc90afea1538272f6f.png

@Lord_Zath discussed the price of the Johnston on his stream, feeling that it was out of line. The position I took is that it's not unreasonably more expensive than a regular T9 premium of similar type, especially when the value of the 10 point commander and the XP boost mission are added in, and that the real debate is whether ships should be this expensive anyway. 

Zath took the viewpoint that a historically desirable ship like this one should have been more accessible, and I agree with him on that. If I were in charge, I'd have announced her explicitly for money as an introductory Whale bundle now and returning permanently for coal and the premium shop on October 25th 2024, but I'm not the one in charge.

23 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

The version that goes for nearly $200 CDN is the non-Admiral version!

image.jpeg.80b19c762620c03cf745855581d871e2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

image.jpeg.80b19c762620c03cf745855581d871e2.jpeg

I'll see your emoji and raise you this:

Anthropomorphized wallet cowers in terror in a corner 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I can afford most things. But I wouldn't buy it for the same reason I wouldn't' buy a solid gold toilet. It's a waste of money.

• Like 4

Dang though I'm getting close. 

I feel the pull.

If my wife hears that I bought a $ 200  pixel ship that I don't even own she's gonna take away my special treats.

Considering I just bought Johnston yesterday. I mean, that was a given just cuz of the history and I read Tin Can Sailors three times.

If Samuel B. Roberts ends up in the game I'll buy that one too.

Someone tell me how to hide the purchase creatively. I'm open to suggestions.

😅

• Haha 3

Some spreadsheet somewhere says this is how to maximize profits but good grief it makes it easy to keep my wallet closed.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have worked everyday since June 10 and I have been on the wagon the whole time. I wont buy this ship when I'm sober but I am drinking when I get off work today. So I am afraid around 12:30 tonight this ship will probably end up in my port. 

Edited by clammboy
  • Haha 5

I'm cracking my first beer right now. Might beat you to it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BCGrog said:

Dang though I'm getting close. 

I feel the pull.

If my wife hears that I bought a $ 200  pixel ship that I don't even own she's gonna take away my special treats.

Considering I just bought Johnston yesterday. I mean, that was a given just cuz of the history and I read Tin Can Sailors three times.

If Samuel B. Roberts ends up in the game I'll buy that one too.

Someone tell me how to hide the purchase creatively. I'm open to suggestions.

😅

Thank you for your service to the game...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I can afford most things. But I wouldn't buy it for the same reason I wouldn't' buy a solid gold toilet. It's a waste of money.

That reminds me of Odo's bucket.  🙂 

"Quark once suggested that Odo could use a latinum-plated bucket to sleep in."
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Odo's_bucket

1 hour ago, clammboy said:

I have worked everyday since June 10 and I have been on the wagon the whole time. I wont buy this ship when I'm sober but I am drinking when I get off work today. So I am afraid around 12:30 tonight this ship will probably end up in my port. 

40 minutes ago, BCGrog said:

I'm cracking my first beer right now. Might beat you to it.

What shall we do with the drunken sailor ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't judge me.

"I can't help it. I'm a greedy slob."

- Daffy Duck

shot-24.07.08_15.45.17-0900.jpg

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I think we have to agree to disagree on this one ....

No need to agree to disagree, cause balance in many ways is pretty damn bad. With one image, I can demonstrate that WG is terrible at balancing the game:

image.thumb.jpeg.7260fbe17b635ee68ff4c566b580eb7c.jpeg

Edited by MBT808
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BCGrog said:

Don't judge me.

- Daffy Duck

Congratulations.  🙂 

10 hours ago, BCGrog said:

That's easy. Because enough people will pay it. 

Everyone complains about the price of things, then pays it anyways. I love society. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BCGrog said:

Don't judge me.

- Daffy Duck

Wait that's not right I just got home at 8 and I have to work tomorrow . I have only had 2 modellos thats not enough to push me over the edge you may have forced me to do shots of tequile then I will have that ship by 9:30.

Edited by clammboy
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, mashed68 said:

Everyone complains about the price of things, then pays it anyways. I love society. 

I wasn't complaining. As I explained to another guy in an earlier post. If you read my posts, I  wanted to know what was special about it and if anyone had one to relate their thoughts on it.

25 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Wait that's not right I just got home at 8 and I have to work tomorrow . I have only had 2 modellos thats not enough to push me over the edge you may have forced me to do shots of tequile then I will have that ship by 9:30.

Sorry buddy 😀

Posted (edited)

So after about 8 rounds in it here are my thoughts.

- Quick firing ( 22 seconds ).

- Great firestarter! AP hits hard for 14 inchers.

- Fast rudder. Really fast. 

- Speed boost. Between that and the fast rudder it's fun watching enemy shells falling in my wake or to the sides. I felt like Rocky Balboa. Throw a punch then duck and weave.

- Radar to 9 kms. I bought the upgrade for radar duration with coal to last longer. I've caught a few guys hiding because they didn't know I had it.

- Can shoot out past 24 kms - and when reds shoot back from that distance you have lots of time and a fast rudder to wiggle and dodge.

- With Brisk, speed boost and speed flag I was pinning over 42 knots at one point. I honestly don't know what her top speed is. I failed to note that. Probably because in the heat of it I never sail in a straight line for too long and I juke my speed a lot.

- Do NOT push in. Insta deleted within 12 kms.

- A Montana drilled me thru the nostril and citted me. It was ugly. Don't nose in. It's too soft.

- It's happy place is approximately 14 to 18 kms out and snipe. Take the -11 per cent dispersion boost I believe in slot six.

More to come.

TLDR - She likes to run and gun. She's fast and maneuverable like a Porsche. Don't get caught pushing and don't sit still and DON'T nose in. Cruiser armor at best.

Edited by BCGrog
Adding more impressions.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mashed68 said:
11 hours ago, BCGrog said:

WG as Dr. Phil (parody)

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

WG as Dr. Phil (parody)

Awesome 😅

3 hours ago, MBT808 said:

No need to agree to disagree, cause balance in many ways is pretty damn bad. With one image, I can demonstrate that WG is terrible at balancing the game:

image.thumb.jpeg.7260fbe17b635ee68ff4c566b580eb7c.jpeg

Ah, the Naughtimov...

Someday I'll have one...