Someone tell me why the USS Rhode Island is near $ 200 Canadian?

BCGrog

Does it shoot gold nuggets?

I mean, really, it seems to me to be a Georgia with a few more goodies but not a hundred bucks worth?

Is it worth it? Anyone have this thing?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BCGrog said:

Is it worth it?

No? Nothing ever sold in a videogame is? 

• Like 1

WG thinks that it's the right price to generate the maximum profit to WG.

If you don't think it's worth $200 CAD to you, don't buy it.

The game is fun just with ships you can get without spending money. This is not a problem for us, the players.

• Like 6

I think it is WG's mid-year equivalent of December (Santa Crate) 'sale'.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

No? Nothing ever sold in a videogame is? 

Idk man, I bought some bunny ears for my Halo guy back in the day. That was pretty fun in my death screens!

To the topic point, I can't see myself getting $200 worth of fun from a single ship. Ever.

Edited by Jakeshuffle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

Idk man, I bought some bunny ears for my Halo guy back in the day. That was pretty fun in my death screens!

😄👍👍

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, BCGrog said:

I mean, really, it seems to me to be a Georgia with a few more goodies but not a hundred bucks worth?

This is just standard no connection with reality WG pricing. I cant remember what ship I was looking at a while back but that ONE premium ship, which is subject to change (NERFS) at ANY time cost the same as THREE Triple A games. So, 3 great PC games for a ship that is probably powercrept in 6 months. I think that kind of pants on head pricing says a lot. But at the same time, you do have a lot of players that are willing to pay these prices, so of course WG will continue (and yes, people have the right to throw their money at whatever they like .... but still).

As far as I seen it ingame it seems a lot weaker than Wisconsin and dont really end up high up in the scores in the games I played. And it seems to have a quite weak backside ... something about eating a lot of cits in Dat Azz.

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It might make more sense if Kim Kardashian is the captain and its hull number was 90210...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

cost the same as THREE Triple A games. So, 3 great PC games for a ship that is probably powercrept in 6 months.

You still living in 2010? No just one pays $50 for a game anymore. First of all, they are usually getting the deluxe edition for up to $100. Then the occasional expansion packs which may be $20 or $30. Then the smaller content for a little as $2 to 3$ a pop. If you are dedicating any meaningful part of your life to a single game, you are laying down some coin to do it. I would argue these individual ships have WAY more replay value than some standalone games. I look at some of the XP I have on some of my premium ships and it's a LOT. That will continue because of the nature of this game and infinite replayability until the doors close. The argument about powercreep is just not true. WG does an ok job of balance and re-balance as time goes. I can get in most ships in this game and have successful fun battles. Take Montana far example. How old is that ship and still quite effective in battle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

To the topic point, I can't see myself getting $200 worth of fun from a single ship. Ever.

The video game arcade era - a period in history which saw a lot of my parents' money pass through my hands on the way into various machines - saw the most elaborate games in its twilight years demand $2 for the right to play. On that metric, Rhode Island is a break-even proposition after a hundred battles. 

However, the exorbitant price of said ship does put me in mind of the first Puerto Rico dockyard, during which I showed my wife the visuals of the ship being constructed, and it impressed her to the point where she told me without me even asking, "If you want it, go ahead and get it." I declined, on the basis that I could spend 25,000 doubloons far more usefully across many other things. It was just too many eggs in one basket.

Now, ultimately the power of a premium ship in your port is increased if it fills a niche that nothing else in your port can do. If this is going to be your first Tier 10 premium battleship, its value is much increased when compared to someone like me, who already has Ohio and Wisconsin (and I got the Wisky for nothing because I'd already bought the WV44 for half price in an event years ago). Why should someone like me spend that much on the Rhode Island when I already have two premium ships in the same category and matchmaker bracket (US T10 BB) that can already do the same job, for which I paid not a cent (at least not directly)?

With sufficient application of effort and not a cent spent, you too could have the Ohio for nothing. Why buy the Rhode Island? That's my take.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Scrubby_McScrub said:

You still living in 2010? No just one pays $50 for a game anymore. First of all, they are usually getting the deluxe edition for up to $100. Then the occasional expansion packs which may be $20 or $30. Then the smaller content for a little as $2 to 3$ a pop. If you are dedicating any meaningful part of your life to a single game, you are laying down some coin to do it. 

Nope, but I usually pre-purchase games at sites like CDKeys, Kinguin, Instant gaming etc and I think my last purchase (Ghost of Tsushima like 2 month ago) was around 50 bucks or just below when I bought it. I usually dont waste money on expansions or DLC´s unless its a great game like Cyberpunk.

I think about 80% of my Premiums was free for me (Free XP, RB, Steel, Coal) and I have A LOT of premiums. I just couldn't live with myself if I bought ONE premium ship for those ridiculous prices. I just couldn't justify that to myself, especially since most will be available at some time for ingame currency. But everyone does what they feel is right of course.

The argument about powercreep is just not true. WG does an ok job of balance and re-balance as time goes. I can get in most ships in this game and have successful fun battles. Take Montana far example. How old is that ship and still quite effective in battle. 

I have never grinded Montana because I always felt it was a bit lack-luster, even back in the early days, but even more so now days. But then again im no BB main. But I cant remember one game where I seen it at the top of the leaderboard. And I think for the majority of the old ships most of them has been powercrept quite much. That doesn't mean you cant get the odd good game in them, but there are just so much better ships that does everything better now.

WG does an ok job of balance and re-balance as time goes. 

I think we have to agree to disagree on this one ....

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

The video game arcade era - a period in history which saw a lot of my parents' money pass through my hands on the way into various machines - saw the most elaborate games in its twilight years demand $2 for the right to play. On that metric, Rhode Island is a break-even proposition after a hundred battles. 

I stand corrected. I bet I put 200$ into the Gauntlet arcade machine easily when you point that out lol!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

However, the exorbitant price of said ship does put me in mind of the first Puerto Rico dockyard, during which I showed my wife the visuals of the ship being constructed, and it impressed her to the point where she told me without me even asking, "If you want it, go ahead and get it." I declined, on the basis that I could spend 25,000 doubloons far more usefully across many other things. It was just too many eggs in one basket.

Now, ultimately the power of a premium ship in your port is increased if it fills a niche that nothing else in your port can do. If this is going to be your first Tier 10 premium battleship, its value is much increased when compared to someone like me, who already has Ohio and Wisconsin (and I got the Wisky for nothing because I'd already bought the WV44 for half price in an event years ago). Why should someone like me spend that much on the Rhode Island when I already have two premium ships in the same category and matchmaker bracket (US T10 BB) that can already do the same job, for which I paid not a cent (at least not directly)?

With sufficient application of effort and not a cent spent, you too could have the Ohio for nothing. Why buy the Rhode Island? That's my take.

Not only that, but this thing is in Tier 10 with just 14" guns fighting your Wisconsin and Ohio. Same size as King George V class way back in Tier 7.

If it had the same guns as the Georgia in those three quad turrets, maybe it would be worth two hundred dollars CDN?

Edited by BCGrog

It’s a free to play exploitive pricing to milk whales and collectors. The moral of the story is that there is no moral.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I stand corrected. I bet I put 200$ into the Gauntlet arcade machine easily when you point that out lol!

Oh I remember Gauntlet fondly. 4 friends standing next to each other spamming buttons and attacks on hords.

• Like 2

If playing US BBs is fun for you, then 200 isn’t all that much. 

I always wonder if people who get upset at the prices of digital goods and come to an online forum to bitch about it ever go to other places and bitch about prices. Like the OP. You gonna write a post about the price of milk on your local dairy farms website? 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BCGrog said:

Not only that, but this thing is in Tier 10 with just 14" guns fighting your Wisconsin and Ohio. Same size as King George V class way back in Tier 7.

If it had the same guns as the Georgia in those three quad turrets, maybe it would be worth two hundred dollars CDN?

I can assure you, if that were the case we wouldn't simply be talking about whether the ship was worth it; we'd be talking primarily about a very powerful and desirable ship being behind a paywall.

Or to put it another way: the conversation would go from "This price is stupid" to "The ship is worth that but I can't afford it".

My sense of the situation is that we are still having that first conversation.

1 hour ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

something about eating a lot of cits in Dat Azz.

Reminds me of a scene from the movie "Flushed Away", wherein Rita pats her backside to taunt the villain.  🙂 

Spoiler

Flushed Away Twerk Compilation| Rodney and Rita Flushed Away

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BCGrog said:

Why is simple:  "because our host knows that the whales will immediately buy it (or anything new offered) ....."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frostbow said:

I think it is WG's mid-year equivalent of December (Santa Crate) 'sale'.

isnt there a summer sale at wows, or is it not actual yet?

1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

It’s a free to play exploitive pricing to milk whales and collectors. The moral of the story is that there is no moral.

I am more interested in those people who whale 120 euros and play wows 😄

1 hour ago, Type_93 said:

If playing US BBs is fun for you, then 200 isn’t all that much. 

I always wonder if people who get upset at the prices of digital goods and come to an online forum to bitch about it ever go to other places and bitch about prices. Like the OP. You gonna write a post about the price of milk on your local dairy farms website? 

Well, I wasn't "bitching" about it.

I was merely asking what makes it so special that makes it the most expensive ship I've ever ( personally) seen listed for this game and for someone who has it to relate to me how it performs so that I can make the call whether I decide to buy it.

I'll buy it if someone says it tears up the joint but with 14" guns and not a very durable armor scheme I can't see it.

Like I said earlier, if those quad turrets had Georgia guns, I'd already own it.

2 hours ago, BCGrog said:

You know that gold ammo exists, right? 

image.png.448cfda9c007f56c08534dfde11ca60a.png

This thing has Conq levels of HE DPM with greater accuracy while also having potent AP.

RI's weaknesses certainly do not lie with her firepower.  

• Like 1

Perhaps the community needs a new spokesperson to speak to WG about game inflation...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

RI's weaknesses certainly do not lie with her firepower.  

At least until you get to the question of AP overmatch, at which point you will be thrashing it out with people who won't be satisfied with anything less than eighteen inches.

(Oh God, that sounded bad, didn't it? Never mind; I stand by what I said.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1