PSA - You can now register to try out the upcoming changes to CVs on PTS (Also RNGesus lottery to get Enterprise and Musashi)

OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

3 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Its not easy to understand since they grouped the concealment change together with the alternate AP shell information, but probably just another "miscommunication" from WG. Flamu seems convinced WG uses Chat GTP to write all the articles, I would also wonder if they use Chat GTP to balance the game/come up with new monstrosities. 

It is a sad day indeed when AI tools have replaced the unpaid interns. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

One of the main questions I think a lot of people who remember the last Rework have is if WG will pay attention to what the testers tell them, or if 'Damn the Torpedoes' will be the attitude.

The current version of CV play is actually pretty balanced, with both CV players and non-CV players getting fairly even considerations in how CVs interact, refined over the years since the Rework.  This will, at the minimum, reset that balance if it doesn't completely push the scales off the table (as it seems the initial change list is wont to do if unchanged).  Expect rough weather ahead.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Exactly Asym.  The best defense against a carrier is an opposing carrier. Removing the ability for CVs to fight one another was absolutely the worst thing that happened with the original CV rework (when they removed the RTS style). 

Love or hate RTS carriers, it was glorious to watch them battle it out for control of the skies back in the day. You wanted to help your carrier out too by trying to get your ship underneath the planes and add your AA to the fight.  You knew how important it was for your carrier to dominate the skies.  It may have just been a minor point of cooperation but in a multiplayer game where there is usually very little actual teamwork, it was something.  I used to enjoy playing CVs mainly just to protect my team from incoming aircraft. I found more fun and enjoyment doing that than actually attacking enemy ships.  Anyways they need to add the ability of carriers to engage one another back into the game IMHO. Just pooping out a fighter consumable is just plain stupid. 

Thank you.  Sigh.....it's called "combined arms" for a reason.  Even today, Carriers have an "envelope and layered" defense in depth....

Why did they get rid of the RTS carriers is very simple @Taylor3006  - once you obtained air superiority, you were the "One Ship to Rule them All..."  Carriers then, by themselves, would/could determine who would or would not win "professional matches...." and, just about every Random match there would be ! 

Dissimilar weapons are complex systems and the RTS Captains were very good at multi-tasking and seeing where they gained the most by "just being there".....  Defense against them was called teamwork by combing AA......  Duh, how simple is that????  But, it can slow the game down....

That's why Update 8.0 killed the carrier.  To keep it from being the "OSTRTA..."  and, to sell the new carrier shitck to the masses.... 

And, here we are; several I've blacklisted and the game's a hotter mess than before....  Why>?  Because the answer doesn't fit the spreadsheet....  Any way they calculate it, the RTS style carriers simply are the OSTRTA in competent hands....  And that, kills KOTS - dead as a door nail.   And, we can't have that now, can we???

Now some that I have blacklisted will tell me I'm on one of my rant again: the,  "you don't know anything" and all that,  but.........ever get cross dropped?    Did you enjoy supporting your Carrier action group with "aimed" AA???  I loved it !!!  It forced teamwork and made the game "mean something".....even when your carrier driver was a noodle necked stupid head.... 

Bring back the RTS carriers and Aimed AA and for the Schwartz's sake:  make the IJN Akizuki line the ships they were designed to be:  AA Radar equipped, Anti-Aircraft platforms and let's see where the this game grows to be;.......cause, it won't grow where we are !   That's a given and my opinion.

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Asym said:

Thank you.  Sigh.....it's called "combined arms" for a reason.  Even today, Carriers have an "envelope and layered" defense in depth....

Why did they get rid of the RTS carriers is very simple @Taylor3006  - once you obtained air superiority, you were the "One Ship to Rule them All..."  Carriers then, by themselves, would/could determine who would or would not win "professional matches...." and, just about every Random match there would be ! 

Dissimilar weapons are complex systems and the RTS Captains were very good at multi-tasking and seeing where they gained the most by "just being there".....  Defense against them was called teamwork by combing AA......  Duh, how simple is that????  But, it can slow the game down....

That's why Update 8.0 killed the carrier.  To keep it from being the "OSTRTA..."  and, to sell the new carrier shitck to the masses.... 

And, here we are; several I've blacklisted and the game's a hotter mess than before....  Why>?  Because the answer doesn't fit the spreadsheet....  Any way they calculate it, the RTS style carriers simply are the OSTRTA in competent hands....  And that, kills KOTS - dead as a door nail.   And, we can't have that now, can we???

Now some that I have blacklisted will tell me I'm on one of my rant again: the,  "you don't know anything" and all that,  but.........ever get cross dropped?    Did you enjoy supporting your Carrier action group with "aimed" AA???  I loved it !!!  It forced teamwork and made the game "mean something".....even when your carrier driver was a noodle necked stupid head.... 

Bring back the RTS carriers and Aimed AA and for the Schwartz's sake:  make the IJN Akizuki line the ships they were designed to be:  AA Radar equipped, Anti-Aircraft platforms and let's see where the this game grows to be;.......cause, it won't grow where we are !   That's a given and my opinion.

What is your proposal for a solution?

• Sad 1

I played CV's a lot in RTS days, had a much better WR in them than I do now. However, unlike other ships RTS CV's became more challenging to play the higher the tier, especially for IJN CV's since they typically had more air groups to manage. A good US CV player could wipe the floor with the IJN CV.....IF the IJN CV didnt take out the US CV first, Kaga excelled at this with its large strike groups.

There are a lot of ways, discussed to death regularly, on how to improve CV-CV/target interaction but almost all of them involve making the game more complicated. That just wont happen! Like it or not, WG wants to keep it simple...point and click. Anyone remembering the RTS days should remember that CV's originally had two options, manual and auto targeting. Auto targeting was simply click on the target in map mode and the planes do the rest. Be thankful that the auto mode was done away with, IIRC it was very effective at dealing with DD's.

Simple way to increase CV vs CV combat will be to tone down CV AA capability. If spotting is removed, it will be the only way to counter a CV and many CV's can defend themselves to the point of invulnerability vs all but 2 CV's. 

In testing, I intend to drive CV's most of the time and intend on trying to take out the other CV most of those times.

5 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

I played CV's a lot in RTS days, had a much better WR in them than I do now. However, unlike other ships RTS CV's became more challenging to play the higher the tier, especially for IJN CV's since they typically had more air groups to manage. A good US CV player could wipe the floor with the IJN CV.....IF the IJN CV didnt take out the US CV first, Kaga excelled at this with its large strike groups.

There are a lot of ways, discussed to death regularly, on how to improve CV-CV/target interaction but almost all of them involve making the game more complicated. That just wont happen! Like it or not, WG wants to keep it simple...point and click. Anyone remembering the RTS days should remember that CV's originally had two options, manual and auto targeting. Auto targeting was simply click on the target in map mode and the planes do the rest. Be thankful that the auto mode was done away with, IIRC it was very effective at dealing with DD's.

Simple way to increase CV vs CV combat will be to tone down CV AA capability. If spotting is removed, it will be the only way to counter a CV and many CV's can defend themselves to the point of invulnerability vs all but 2 CV's. 

In testing, I intend to drive CV's most of the time and intend on trying to take out the other CV most of those times.

I'll be curious about your impressions.

12 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Flamu seems convinced WG uses Chat GTP to write all the articles

Flamu is fluently bilingual (at least), and needs to understand that some of the people who work at WG are not.

In addition, his animus against WG is such that IMO there's nothing bad he's not prepared to say or believe about them. 

Take another shot!

The Flamu drinking game!