First Friday Cooking Demonstration Friday, July 5, 2024 11:30 AM 1:30 PM Albacore Park (Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA)

Wolfswetpaws

First Friday Cooking Demonstration
Friday, July 5, 2024
11:30 AM  1:30 PM
Albacore Park

First+Friday+all.jpg?format=2500w 

https://www.ussalbacore.org/calendar/first-friday-cooking-demonstration-2

https://www.ussalbacore.org/ 

18102_sub_front_new.jpg?format=2500w 

Welcome To Albacore Park

Celebrating 70 Years of Service (1953 - 1972)

The USS Albacore is a research submarine, designed by the U.S. Navy to test experimental features used in modern submarines. The Navy tested top-secret features that led to the high-speed silent operation used on modern U.S. submarines. Today, Albacore has been preserved and is opened to the public.

Every visitor can go inside and explore this remarkable submarine. You will be able to look through the periscope, explore the control room, engineering spaces, and bunkrooms, and hear crew members tell of things that happened when they were at sea.

Tours through Albacore are self-guided. As you walk through the ship, a series of audio stations highlight Albacore's unique features. Recordings by former crew members tell about daily life and some hair-raising incidents aboard the sub.

The Visitor Center is your starting point for the tour. The Gift Shop offers souvenirs of your visit. The Memorial Garden preserves the memory of those who have served on Albacore and other U.S. submarines.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I realize I'm posting about this on the day it is happening.  So, there's I'm providing very little "advanced notice" of the event.
I learned about it via following the USS Albacore's facebook page.

If you're in New Hampshire, consider visiting the USS Albacore museum.  🙂   https://www.ussalbacore.org/

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1

"In the Navy, sailors got to be subjected to the terrors of both the enemy and their own cooks. Now, USS Albacore offers the unique opportunity to experience one of these horrors for yourself, realistically enhancing the Submarine Museum experience!" 🤪

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

"In the Navy, sailors got to be subjected to the terrors of both the enemy and their own cooks. Now, USS Albacore offers the unique opportunity to experience one of these horrors for yourself, realistically enhancing the Submarine Museum experience!" 🤪

Actually, of all of the armed services in the United States, the US Navy has the best food.  They consistently win head-to-head contests with the other services for culinary excellence.  Pre-refrigeration, it was difficult to maintain foodstuffs, which is where this myth has its roots.  

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Actually, of all of the armed services in the United States, the US Navy has the best food.  They consistently win head-to-head contests with the other services for culinary excellence.  Pre-refrigeration, it was difficult to maintain foodstuffs, which is where this myth has its roots.  

Navy chow is quite good.  The best food in the Fleet is on submarines.  Bubbleheads excel at cooking because there is little else to look forward to when you are on a boomer submerged and on patrol for a long while with no communication with the outside world. Food is considered absolutely essential not just for health but for morale.  I always find that people who think poorly of Navy food have no military experience themselves because even other service members know that we got the best eats. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Like 3

We used to sneak over to the Marines mess hall for dinner sometimes. It was quite good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HamptonRoads said:

Oh for sure, but bad food at sea is practically a naval/mariner's stereotype.

I'm well aware that it's not really the case, hence the crazy smilie at the end of my post.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Oh for sure, but bad food at sea is practically a naval/mariner's stereotype.

I'm well aware that it's not really the case, hence the crazy smilie at the end of my post.

Regardless, everyone should remember to pick the lesser weevil.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Regardless, everyone should remember to pick the lesser weevil.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Today's menu offered via a "forward deployed galley" (my nickname for the outdoor tent and folding table equipment) was ...
... a hot-dog in a bun, with a small selection of popular condiments, washed down with either orange or cherry flavored "bug juice".  
These were provided free to everyone who showed-up.  
I had no complaints about the menu and the Chef was a pleasant chap to talk to.

I also paid for a ticket to enter the museum and went aboard the USS Albacore as a tourist.
On-board was an Intern who was using the Officer's Mess room to give a presentation about the role of Corpsmen in the Navy and specifically on Submarines.
Her presentation was worth the price of admission and she had a nice collection of artifacts which visitors could examine and handle.

I arrived for the food and enjoyed learning a bit about Corpsmen as a pleasant bonus.  🙂 

https://www.facebook.com/albacorepark/about/

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 5