ALMIRANTE OQUENDO AT THE DOCKYARD, COLORFUL REGATTA AND MORE - CLOSED TEST 13.7

MidnightPhoenix07

Posted (edited)

My takeaways from each section:

Dockyard:

Who has WG employed to write these dev blogs? I can’t decide if I’m more amused or annoyed by the cringe-worthy language being used to try to hype this ship and its event. At least that Leipzig I got from the NY event will be put to good use (very odd choice, though).

AP Skip Bomber Test:

Part of me hopes WG has abandoned the idea for mines on the IJN “support” CVs, which would be the next logical CV release. They might not be different enough from the existing Japanese CVs and their AP dive bombers, though, so perhaps French or Italian CVs are lurking beyond the horizon, waiting to make poor, abused cruiser mains cry some more.

Additional Content:

CLR Zao (not Zao CLR for… reasons?): Interesting choice as the (assumed) sole new “colorful” ship this time around. 

Battle Honor Camo for Thunderer: Anyone want to bet against Thunderer showing up in an auction in the near future?

“New” Commanders in the Armory: always nice to see event-exclusive FOMO content made generally available.

New UUs: Doesn’t look like any new information here for those who have been paying attention to previous dev blogs. Both seem to be largely aimed at addressing the most common complaints voiced against each (reload for VT, dispersion for CC). I find the first one unappealing - Vermont is currently in a pretty good place and her good concealment is a large part of that. The CC upgrade is much more interesting, as I imagine most would trade the reload nerf (relative to MBM3) for improved dispersion in a heartbeat. If I ever get over the PTSD I received from my Italian BB grind I might give it a try.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

Battle Honor Camo for Thunderer: Anyone want to bet against Thunderer showing up in a auction in the near future?

That was what my first thought as well, actually it was my second, the first one was, wow this is ugly. They wouldn't make the effort to create a camo for a ship that no one can get anymore (except from a container, if you are very lucky that is).

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

That was what my first thought as well, actually it was my second, the first one was, wow this is ugly.

The lines are very plain, and the colors are actually in line with the blue-grey and lighter grey-green camo pattern seen on quite a few RN ships (Warspite’s and Thunderer’s existing alternate “Default” color scheme for example). I’m honestly surprised by how simple it is for a camo that is probably going to be associated with some event. 

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/545

Almirante Oquendo in the dockyard, test ship Zao but green, AP skip bombers, and Vermont and Colombo UUs.

This new Colombo UU, Oh My God. I am totally going to get it.

• Haha 1

Comparing with her "half sister" Andalucia, Almirante Oquendo has much better DPM (157846 vs. 129214), and in comparison she is more likely to run reload mod that can go even further. However, she almost shares the same hull with Andalucia and currently shares her citadel geometry and low engine splash damage resistance; she has worse ballistics (comparable with Hampshire, worse than Zara/Hipper/Cataluna), worse rearward firing angles (and she is more likely to fight on closer ranges thanks to poorer ballistics), "regular" HE pen, and an Alternative Firing mode that nobody has figured out what's its intended niche, thanks to the facts that regular cruiser dispersion is already enough for most circumstances (like, for most cruisers, it isn't dispersion that prevents players from reliably hitting fleeing destroyers) and it seems to be a poor bargain to get better accuracy for such punishing reload time.

Posted (edited)

One nice thing about the CLR Zao is that they used more natural lighting in her "publicity photo".
Previous CLR ships were illuminated and appeared to "glow" in their advertising photos (like Arpeggio of Blue Steel ships).

The photo (below) is much more indicative of how the CLR Zao will look in one's port and while being played in a game.

SEzFenghU1U04HmrNGcfY3RVp1pu0M0TwFW2nX5K 

During the previous CLR ships event, I complained about the difference between the advertising photos and how the ship (North Carolina CLR, in my case) looked in one's Port and during battles.
I expected the CLR ships to "glow" more, according to how they were lit-up with spotlight in their adversising.
So, there's an improvement in the "what you see is what you get" category, this time.  I like that.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/the-colorful-regatta-has-started/ 

124_Kleber_Colorful_Eventum_Ship_medium.

124_Roon_Colorful_Eventum_Ship_medium.54 

124_Carolina_Colorful_Eventum_Ship_mediu 

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

18 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

so perhaps French or Italian CVs are lurking beyond the horizon, waiting to make poor, abused cruiser mains cry some more.

The test vehicle is a German CV so my money's on a German CV line split, or maybe a premium. The recent German hybrid BB/CV has already been advertised as having HE bombs, so it can't be for that.

CLR Zao is... interesting. Also a safe choice, as she is one of the two oldest and best-known tech-tree cruisers in the game. 

18 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

At least that Leipzig I got from the NY event will be put to good use

I got mine from a free Santa crate, so... hmm.

As for Oquendo, I hadn't been interested at first and I'd thought Wisky was going to be my last dockyard but then I realized this one is going to overlap with the anniversary... and that means that the most gruelling stages will be at a time when I'm planning to be all-hands-on-deck, grinding out my ships for anniversary goodies as hard as I can. 

Some people noted on the WG stream yesterday that this will be the second Dockyard in a row that will be for free if you already have the halfway ship. Leipzig seems to be an odd choice to give out halfway for a Spanish cruiser, and I'd probably have chosen the Numancia or even the Canarias for that job.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how viable AP skip bombs will be...considering how difficult it is to land AP rockets at the right angle and those have much less delay to allow angling than skip bombs.

Much will depend on the specifics of the RNG spread on skip (you actually need to hit the right part of the ship for AP bombs to do real damage) and the time delay for the bounce.

• Confused 1

On 7/5/2024 at 8:37 AM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Leipzig seems to be an odd choice to give out halfway for a Spanish cruiser, and I'd probably have chosen the Numancia or even the Canarias for that job.

Considering Facist Spain was an ally of Germany and Italy, and Cataluña, Asturias, and Castilla use Italian main guns and German secondaries, it isn't that far fetched to build a Nurnberg in a Spanish shipyard for WG standards.

Also Lepzig is a T6 premium only availabe once during some token event a year ago and in santa crates so odds are not that many people would have one (me being someone that does) other than say Canarias which has been given away for free twice so more people would have that one.

On 7/5/2024 at 10:07 AM, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I'm not sure how viable AP skip bombs will be...considering how difficult it is to land AP rockets at the right angle and those have much less delay to allow angling than skip bombs.

Much will depend on the specifics of the RNG spread on skip (you actually need to hit the right part of the ship for AP bombs to do real damage) and the time delay for the bounce.

Did any nation actually make Armor Piercing skip-bombs during WW-II?

I'd normally expect skip-bombs to be H.E.  
I wonder what the devs were thinking (smoking? drinking?) to create AP skip-bombs?  🙂 

Posted (edited)

"...  Meanwhile, Maj William Benn, commanding the B-17F equipped 63rd BS/43rd BG, was also getting frustrated with his aircraft’s inability to hit enemy warships. He began experimenting with a technique called skip bombing. He would fly a B-17 “on the deck” at a height of 200–250ft above the ocean. Approaching the target at high speed, the aircraft flew parallel to the ship and dropped its bombs as it approached. The weapons, armed with five second time fuzes, hit the water and skipped like flat stones over its surface. They either skipped into the ship and exploded on impact, or sank in the water alongside the vessel, detonating next to the hull and “mining” it.

Alternatively, the ordnance could be held until the bomber was overhead the ship at mast top height, at which point the bomb (fitted with a delayed action fuze so as to ensure the aircraft had enough time to avoid being engulfed in the subsequent blast) was dropped and penetrated deep into the ship before exploding. Either technique significantly increased the hit percentage, but also the risk of being struck by light antiaircraft fire.  ..."

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/strafing-and-skip-bombing-how-american-a-20-and-b-25-bombers-beat-japanese-destroyers-during-the-battle-of-the-bismarck-sea/

See also...
https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/modified-b-25-bombers-pioneered-the-skip-bombing-tactic/

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

The only one with any significant armor piercing capability might be the British Highball, but I don't think it was designed with penetrating armor belt type performance in mind.

The Americans, British, Australians, and Soviets used the skip bombing technique in world war 2...

18 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

The only one with any significant armor piercing capability might be the British Highball, but I don't think it was designed with penetrating armor belt type performance in mind.

The Americans, British, Australians, and Soviets used the skip bombing technique in world war 2...

Okay.
But "armor piercing" skip bombs?  
Who, what, where, when, why?  🙂 

33 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Okay.

I'm not going to try to defend WGs 'history'...merely point out the closest thing to WGs fantasy that I am aware of.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Okay.

To placate the whiners who scream about being on fire all the time.

11 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

it isn't that far fetched to build a Nurnberg in a Spanish shipyard for WG standards.

True, although Vickers had their own Spanish branch.

I still think Numancia would have been a viable choice, since she's less common than Canarias.

• Haha 1

Almirante Oquendo sounds like an eating disorder as listed in ICD-10 -  F50.81....  Yuk, Pass.

• Haha 2

I decided that Wisconsin would be my last Dockyard and thankfully the Almirante Oquendo is not tempting me to change that decision. Looks like a pretty mediocre if not downright bad ship to me, or did i miss something?

• Thanks 1

I had zero interest in Almirante Oquendo, but then they announced owners of Leipzig do not have to buy any phases. And accidentally, I got Leipzig from crates on Christmas... and I really doubt I will be able to fight my temptation to get a free tier IX ship, even though the ship does not look any interesting and I do not really play cruisers (apart from lol boats such as Michelangelo or my torpedo Leipzig).

• 4 weeks later...

A minor necro here ... but this seems to be a suitable place to raise the question.

Looking at the mission list, and having played a few matches already I think that I could complete this dockyard with the 2 phase pack.

I certainly could if I got the 7 phase pack, and I've accumulated enough gold to do so over the years.

The problem is, I just don't know if it's worth it. I've not really pursued the Spanish cruiser line thus far, and what I see in discussions about the Almirante Oquendo elsewhere isn't really inspiring me.

And so the question ... what do you guys think about it? I get the feeling it's a pretty fragile ship, but with poor dispersion meaning one would went to get into brawling range. But that could just be 'net cruft.

Any input would be valued.

17 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

And so the question ... what do you guys think about it?

Hi Sunk. Here's a video from Sea Lord Mountbatten that covers the details about the ship and the dockyard. I found it useful.

For my part, I already have the Leipzig, and I had just enough doubloons to get the two-stage starter pack. Now, it's just a case of playing normally and completing the dockyard shouldn't be much trouble. In this case, I thought the ship and other rewards was worth it (especially since I didn't spend any real-world money). If things were different, I wouldn't bother to put much effort in to completing this dockyard.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2024 at 2:53 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Did any nation actually make Armor Piercing skip-bombs during WW-II?

Closest approximate that I can think of would be the Highball developement by Barnes Wallis

there's small amount of info about it on Bouncing Bomb Wiki page + I know Drachinifiel had an YT video where it was duscussed to some lenght

• Like 1

If you were willing to forego the "skipping" part, then maybe you could sorta hamfist Hs 293 or Bv 246 guided glide bombs, or even the prototype Hs 294 into Horizontal attack pattern AP bombs

• Like 1