July 4th - Independence Day

HogHammer

declaration-of-independence.thumb.jpeg.928fd848f2550ee76f9b0767fdbe5f69.jpeg

The Fourth of July—also known as Independence Day or July 4th—has been a federal holiday in the United States since 1941, but the tradition of Independence Day celebrations goes back to the 18th century and the American Revolution. On July 2nd, 1776, the Continental Congress voted in favor of independence, and two days later, delegates from the 13 colonies adopted the Declaration of Independence, a historic document drafted by Thomas Jefferson. From 1776 to the present day, July 4th has been celebrated as the birth of American independence, with festivities ranging from fireworks, parades, and concerts to more casual family gatherings and barbecues.

Have a great and safe 4th of July!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

• I_cant_Swim_ featured this topic

Happy 4th of July, folks!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Happy 4th of July!

image.jpeg.ece05064132e466b2a2cb39a1cfc57a9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'd like to drop this little gem here 🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Wishing everyone a Happy Fourth of July.  🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tocqueville8 said:

I'd like to drop this little gem here

That guy is pretty awesome.

Two of the best lines IMO of the Declaration of Independence

"A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Remember the founders today when celebrating. 46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif.39ed1d2e73eeb40a1b843f9460cae33c.gif

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

"A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Remember the founders today when celebrating. 46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif.39ed1d2e73eeb40a1b843f9460cae33c.gif

Dangerous words, those.

Inspiring, even...

35 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Dangerous words, those.

Inspiring, even...

Well, alot of people don't remember that these men were subjects of the Crown in colonies of the British Empire.  By signing that document, they were very literally signing their own death warrants as insurrectionists against the King and putting their families' established wealth (remember these were well-off businessmen) and positions at forfeiture.  What they were doing and why was more important to them than wealth or what they could gain by being loyal subjects, and the others who stood with them believed so too.  

• Like 5

Happy Independence Day all!

• Like 3

With all the fireworks going off I didn't hear the notifications for the posts!

Happy 4th everyone!!! Be safe out there.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

Line one is quite appropriate for this time in the U.S.A. ...

Will the people care?

As the song said, "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, majmac said:

Line one is quite appropriate for this time in the U.S.A. ...

Will the people care?

As the song said, "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose."

The Janis Joplin version is the one I'm familiar with.  https://genius.com/Janis-joplin-me-and-bobby-mcghee-lyrics

I didn't realize there's a Kris Kristofferson version, too.  https://genius.com/Kris-kristofferson-me-and-bobby-mcgee-lyrics

• HogHammer unfeatured this topic