WoWs UEFA thread

Tricericon

39 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

So Armenia is also Europe? 

I always considered the Caucasus as Asia. For ancient Greeks and Romans it was Asia. 

Geopolitically yes, at least in current day. 

I consider them geographically Asia, but they sit right on the border pretty much if not even parts being considered Europe. 

At least for the ancient Romans, I dont think it mattered. The ancient Romans you were citizen of Rome or you were a barbarian of some sort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

I always considered the Caucasus as Asia. For ancient Greeks and Romans it was Asia. 

One can make geographical arguments for both Georgia and Armenia to be a part of Asia, but per my earlier post those geographical boundaries are not uniformly agreed upon and such a distinction ignores the cultural and historical realities of the region.

The South Caucasus region represents an interesting blend of cultural influences due to its placement between major European and Asian powers throughout history, as well as the more recent imperial ambitions of the Ottoman and Russian empires.

• Like 2

The betting odds for next week (same link as above) say (descending confidence):

(1) Netherlands over Turkey
(2) England over Switzerland
(3) France over Portugal
(4) Spain over Germany

although Spain-Germany is effectively a tossup.

If I was only throwing one token at it I'd pick England instead the Netherlands, otherwise I agree with them.

• Like 1

Hi all,

As European I knew what I was doing... out of 8 matches I got 7 right... I only missed Austria vs. Turkey... -)

image.png.9b502c13d33aac95471cb299897f5363.png

Leo "Apollo11"

Edited by Leo_Apollo11
  • Like 5

On 7/1/2024 at 12:53 AM, ArIskandir said:

Basically, the distinction is fictional so it doesn't matter much. Europe is essentially a fake continent because both Europe and Asia are part of the same tectonic plate of Eurasia. IIRC, the Mediterranean basin might actually be part of another tectonic plate.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tricericon said:

The betting odds for next week (same link as above) say (descending confidence):

(3) France over Portugal
(4) Spain over Germany

If I was only throwing one token at it I'd pick England instead the Netherlands, otherwise I agree with them.

Germany odds are almost the same as Spain, but after watching most of the matches, I'd say that Germany will win this. 

Switzerland are playing better than England so far, but this could go either way

Edited by ReDiR20

9 hours ago, Tricericon said:

(3) France over Portugal
(4) Spain over Germany

Spain vs Germany sure will be a tough game, I thought these 2 teams would meet in finals, but to me Spain really plays better than the Germans and will win the match. I also believe Swiss team will beat England and finally send them home.

• Like 3

1/4 results are more or less clear, except Spain-Germany. But Germany is playing at home, so it will be quite a surprise if they don't find resources of all kinds ( (¬‿¬ ) ) to advance.

• Like 1

Well Mates, the first 2 pairs are difficult for me to decide who will win, I've sucks Italy and Austria for now (and  one free premium ship level 9 and 😎
I believe that Switzerland could surprise  England, and only safe pair seems to me to be  Netherlands vs Turkey - a victory for the Netherlands!

viber_slika_2024-07-03_16-53-18-308.jpg

• Like 2

Hey @VedranSeawolf359. I agree the safest bet would be a win for the Netherlands. Switzerland has played extremely well, England has not. However, I think they will improve their game now, so I'd place my bet on England. France, I think, has the better team in their match against Portugal, so I'm going with that. Spain has generally played more convincingly that Germany, but it could be very close indeed. I'm going with Germany, in hope.

• Like 3

I went 6 for 8 taking all the favorites. I'm going to do the same for the quarters, except picking Germany over Spain so my WOWS rooting interest isn't fighting my IRL rooting interest (which is to see another major trophy for Neuer). It's close enough to a tossup I don't consider it especially risky.

• Like 3

6/8 for me as well... No final prize for me!  And the rest of the games will be tougher picking 🙂

I'm going to wait for tokens and more consensus from the sports writers (particularly EU writers lol) before I pick the next ones... The inconsistent play from many of the winners in the round of 16 makes it real tough!

Good luck all!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VedranSeawolf359 said:

only safe pair seems to me to be  Netherlands vs Turkey - a victory for the Netherlands!

Portugal-France is quite safe too. If France doesn't do anything stupid and just plays to their strength, they will advance. This Portugal has nothing to do in 1/2.

Switzerland may surprise, of course, but with England it will be more difficult than with a barely alive Italy. England are stronger in defense and in mid.

• Like 4

• I_cant_Swim_ changed the title to WoWs UEFA thread