For the first time (IIRC) we have 1 vs. 1 Brawl on large maps (even with 3 CAPs) - do you like it?

Leo_Apollo11

Hi all,

For the first time (IIRC) we have 1 vs. 1 Brawl on large maps (even with 3 CAPs) - do you like it?

IMHO it is not good and intrinsically defeats the purpose of the Brawl... 😦

I had at least 2-3 battles on 3 CAP large map in my BB against DD... I never ever saw them... and we played 20  minutes of chasing around with occasional long range torp against me... 100% waste of time... and 20 minutes of it...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Like 2

That map was particularly not satisfying. I did avoid BBs in my Daring; partly because the only way to get them was to land all 1o torps and sometimes that wasn't enough.

#1) If it's only 1 v 1, then there only needs to be 1 cap.

3) If it's only 1 v 1, then it should only be 1 class of ship.

Otherwise, this mode is just another way for Wedgie to offer an unbalanced play option (you know, exactly what WG is renowned for 😒).

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

#1) If it's only 1 v 1, then there only needs to be 1 cap.

3) If it's only 1 v 1, then it should only be 1 class of ship.

Otherwise, this mode is just another way for Wedgie to offer an unbalanced play option (you know, exactly what WG is renowned for 😒).

It's good training. Especially if you do not play top tiers much. You get to see some serious 1v1 with top tiers. Like I find Daring to absolutely shred some DDs and not so much others. DD vs CL was daunting. DD vs BB is tough if the BB is German with hard core secondaries and large health pools. I blasted Malta with a stream of 1o torps. Didn't kill it. It had like 5k hp left. Laid down some HE and it basically bounced off. Switched to AP and finally did kill it. The problem with Daring is the torps have over 2 minutes of cool down. So if you get an opportunity, you might not get another if you miss even one torp. I spent the day with Daring but I can tell you my WR for the day was less than 5o%.

Then I switched to Montana and shredded 19 matches straight victories from 9pm until 11pm. Couldn't believe it. Half of the brawl mission done in 2 hours. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Why is there no poll!

They ran out of bacon is prolly why.

• Haha 3

You had me at "1 versus 1 brawl".

I don't mind if the map has one or more than one capture areas.

I like when every ship type can participate.  As @thornzero mentioned, "It's good training".

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

I had at least 2-3 battles on 3 CAP large map in my BB against DD... I never ever saw them... and we played 20  minutes of chasing around with occasional long range torp against me... 100% waste of time... and 20 minutes of it...

This reminds me of the mess shortly after the team damage/inactivity penalty rework when we had 1v1 Ranked Sprint (I think it was before Brawls were a thing) and all those smart DD players who grabbed the cap(s) early and just played keep away were getting slapped with the draconian “inactivity” penalty and losing all their XP and credits for the match.

Maybe someone at WG felt they needed some restitution? :classic_laugh:

Edited by Nevermore135

The thing with 1v1 is the rewards are mediocre for a win, and barely for a loss. Not a good grind scenario unlike other brawls.

Because no matter what you do, its 25o xp for a loss and 125o xp for a win every single time.

This has to be a shitty way for me to dive into Brawls. I know, I didn't read the rules so it was my fault I was up against a BB but...why? Why were there three cap options for a 1v1? So stupid and makes me not want to try Brawls again.

• Like 1

People play brawls?

1v1 is probably the least toxic matchmaking for it, but unless it's CV on CV, I'm probably not good enough to enjoy it.

😄

Posted (edited)

Not a fan of Brawls, even less 1 vs 1. They become boring really fast. 

The larger map opens the door for really boring protracted matches...

And Brawls also means World of German BBs...  even more boring.

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Not a fan of Brawls, even less 1 vs 1. They become boring really fast. 

The larger map opens the door for really boring protracted matches...

And Brawls also means World of German BBs...  even more boring.

My sentiments exactly.

I don't typicall play the brawls at all. The only one I really enjoyed was the 12 v 12 BB only one as I may have mentioned earlier...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

People play brawls?

1v1 is probably the least toxic matchmaking for it, but unless it's CV on CV, I'm probably not good enough to enjoy it.

😄

I like "1 versus 1" brawls the most.
There are no excuses available.  There are no allies to "blame" for a loss.  
Win/lose/draw?  It is what it is.

In my first brawl of today, I had a nice game while sailing my Hakuryu against another player's Midway.
We ended-up within secondary battery range of each other and with only a fraction of our HP remaining.
It was a close match, which could have gone either way.  
Good game.  🙂 

20240702_122751_PJSA110-Hakuryu_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In my second brawl of today, I sailed my Khabarovsk against a Yamato.
I managed to get into a good torpedo firing postion.
But, I missed with one too many torpedoes and the Yamato's torpedo defenses soaked-up the damage.
Whereupon I boldly engaged with my guns and attempted to whittle down their remaining HP.
They won.  But we shared some good-natured humor during the battle.
It was fun and a good game.  🙂 

Edited to tag @clammboy

20240702_124210_PRSD110-Pr-24-Khabarovsk_38_Canada.wowsreplay

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Yeah... let's just say that piquant detail didn't escape me either...

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Most of my ships aren't setup for 1v1 jousting.

I don't thrive on the 'I'm better than the other guy' feeling.

I much prefer to play as a support ship for others. Since there are no others, my play style isn't the point.

Of interest, this behavior of mine is exhibited in more than just World of Warships.

I played football (soccer) for 25 years. I got the biggest rush from making a really killer assist rather than scoring a goal.

Team success has always felt better to me than individual success.

Just the way I am wired. I freely admit that I am strange. 😉

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Most of my ships aren't setup for 1v1 jousting.

I don't thrive on the 'I'm better than the other guy' feeling.

I much prefer to play as a support ship for others. Since there are no others, my play style isn't the point.

Of interest, this behavior of mine is exhibited in more than just World of Warships.

I played football (soccer) for 25 years. I got the biggest rush from making a really killer assist rather than scoring a goal.

Team success has always felt better to me than individual success.

Just the way I am wired. I freely admit that I am strange. 😉

Nothing wrong with that.  ^^^^

Personally, I've seen a lot of battle-chat and forum posts (by various players, involving various random and team-brawls modes) over the years which essentially were whining about the battle results and blaming of team-mates and how the stars aligned and <insert some lame excuse here> and whatever.

What I love about 1 vs. 1 brawls is there can be none of that.  

I think it is awesome to push ships to their limits and play one's figurative heart out and get into intense close-quarters actions.
And I've done it with some ships that don't even have secondary battery guns (Saipan and Sanzang, in the past, for example).  🙂 
Win?  Lose?  Draw?  I'm okay however it turns out, especially if there was smart play and witty banter.  🙂 

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Midfielder eh?

I played Defense, I got my kicks from blocking my opponents game, including messing with their 'head' and concentration... my biggest rush came from ruining the play before it even started... an early interception, being in the right place to block or prevent a pass, being where the opponent was supposed to be before he was there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

In my first brawl of today, I had a nice game while sailing my Hakuryu against another player's Midway.
We ended-up within secondary battery range of each other and with only a fraction of our HP remaining.
It was a close match, which could have gone either way.  
Good game.  🙂 

20240702_122751_PJSA110-Hakuryu_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay

That was a close fight! I've been in co-op battles where the last two ships were the two CV bots fighting each other. It's nice to see how two humans would do it. GJ!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Midfielder eh?

I played Defense, I got my kicks from blocking my opponents game, including messing with their 'head' and concentration... my biggest rush came from ruining the play before it even started... an early interception, being in the right place to block or prevent a pass, being where the opponent was supposed to be before he was there. 

I played everything over the years. Started as a sweeper back when 532 was the thing in the US (modeled on the German national team)...until my lack of height became a problem.

I moved to wingback from there, capitalizing on my quick feet and eye for passing / crossing.

In high school, I had a Peruvian coach who wanted me to play the equivalent of a trequartista...but I had a hard time with ball control and wasn't very good at that time.

In college I played whatever the team was missing...a non-scoring threat #9, central midfield, even center back if the opposing team didn't have someone relying on brute strength up front. My last year in college I played goal, central midfield, and coached due to a knee problem that got worse with more playing time.

In grad school, I played goal and midfield...and as an adult I mostly played goal and midfield in indoor leagues (you got consistent schedules if weather issues weren't a thing, worked well with work life balance).

I mostly played goal because I was the only person on the team not afraid of the ball.

I started getting concussions as an adult, and had to wear a foam helmet because I couldn't stop putting myself in danger. That stopped me from playing goal and I played my favorite spot in midfield then.

Eventually I stopped playing when I ruptured my Achilles in a game. I figured it was time to preserve my head and my body for my old age.

🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The mode is way too feast or famine depending on what ship you bring. If I play Marceau I'm basically untouchable to enemy CVs and DDs, but autolose to cruisers and secondary BBs. 

Also the players seem to have extraordinarily weak mental because both games I played (in Marceau) my first opponent (Hakuryu) ragequit halfway through and my second (Mecklenburg) returned to port at the very start (both clearly said so in all chat.) Maybe I just got the shitty players? 

11 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

Maybe I just got the shitty players? 

I'm guessing "yes".

I've played several brawls games tonight and the players have been keen to win and I've had some interesting games.
Some witty banter in chat on occasion, too.  🙂 

Hope to see you in battle.  🙂 

I dont think WG understand the meaning of brawl and what we want from it.

It should be the same class of ships and small maps only, full close combat