USS Iowa - Tour of the Machine Shop

iDuckman

Posted (edited)

The videographer, Keith Rucker, is a master machinist and great streamer and teacher.  His own shop is unbelievable.  In his spare time (he has a real job) he restores old machines from the glory days of industrial America and drives and maintains steam locomotives.  Check him out.

As for the elephant in the room, the bright yellow beam hanging from the ceiling is a track for moving heavy items.  You will see similar on Broadway, but I think they're a deck below under the armor.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Keith Rucker is a master machinist and great streamer and teacher.  His own shop is unbelievable.  Check him out.  He drives and maintains steam locomotives in his spare time.

As for the elephant in the room, the big bright yellow beam hanging from the ceiling is a track for moving shells and other heavy items.  Apparently the shop is right on Main Street.

thanks for the vid @iDuckman reminds me of my early  tool making days in the 80's

3 minutes ago, Gaelic_knight said:

thanks for the vid @iDuckman reminds me of my early  tool making days in the 80's

This stuff just fascinates me.  I've always liked mechanicing, doing terrible things to my cars.  Then I took my Ford 302 HO to an engine builder in Atlanta (Don Dixon's Performance Engines, if he's still with us) for a collaborative stealth job and hung around to help in the shop.  I really loved it.  I think I could have been a professional, were I sufficiently self-motivated.

[engine pic when I can find it.]

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

80's tool maker , 90's press shop and welding shop , 2000 - 2009  CNC programer setter operator 

IMG_0419.jpeg

IMG_0418.jpeg

IMG_0417.jpeg

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0411.jpeg

IMG_0410.jpeg

Edited by Gaelic_knight

9 hours ago, iDuckman said:

the bright yellow beam hanging from the ceiling is a track for moving heavy items. 

USS Massachusetts has a ceiling rail system, too.

• Like 1