New T9 Premium US Destroyer USS Johnston

OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

49 minutes ago, Asym said:

I've got to agree........sometimes it's just "a mystery...."

And, I've got to wonder in this "era of US Clones"...........when will it be finished?  I mean, we made almost a 1,000 DD's in WW2.   At this point, we have what 894 more to go and at some point, they will have to resort to weather, seasonal, map or time of day gimmicks because even our host can't possibly create 842 more unique gimmicks?

Can they????

I can't remember the number but someone counted how many Fletcher clones there are (also including the Black ones), and there were a few.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I can't remember the number but someone counted how many Fletcher clones there are (also including the Black ones), and there were a few.

There are quite a few Fletcher-class DDs represented in WoWs. There are no Fletcher (tier IX American tech-tree destroyer) clones in the game, however. What we have are several ships built around the same hull with varying levels of unique, defining features.

I bring this up because I feel like the term “clone” has been increasingly misused as of late. It implies a low-effort copy-paste endeavor, which really doesn’t apply in this case.

Edited by Nevermore135

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

VIII Kidd Doubloons,  IX FletcherIX Halford DoubloonsIX Black DoubloonsIX Black B Doubloons
IX Chung Mu

If there are more, I'd welcome someone listing them in this topic.  🙂 

Edited to add:  The Johnston is new and there isn't a WOWs wiki entry for her, yet.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

What about the Greek T9. Velos? isn't that a Fletcher too?

9 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

VIII Kidd Doubloons,  IX FletcherIX Halford DoubloonsIX Black DoubloonsIX Black B Doubloons
IX Chung Mu

Edited to add:  The Johnston is new and there isn't a WOWs wiki entry for her, yet.

Velos as well as the new Pan-Asian Three Kingdoms DD, the latter of which is an actual clone (of Kidd).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

IX Chung Mu

The new VIII Zhu Que is also a Fletcher 🙂!

@Nevermore135 beat me 🙂 but does this mean that we have a new clone leader?   I thought Myoko was the top copied for a while...

Edited by Arcus_Aesopi

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Arcus_Aesopi said:

The new VIII Zhu Que is also a Fletcher 🙂!

@Nevermore135 beat me 🙂 but does this mean that we have a new clone leader?   I thought Myoko was the top copied for a while...

Myoko is still the leader, followed by Kongo then Atago/Takao/Maya (the ARP one) IIRC. Of the ships listed above, there are only two pairs of clones (Black/Black B and Kidd/Zhu Que).

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

New T9 Premium US DD Johnston

Thank-you for the public service announcement about the latest sales barf from Wedgie. This fish will not bite at/for this particular poison bait. 😬😁🤔

Posted (edited)

*Wrong*

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

I'm not buying anything from Wedgie ever again.*

*Exception: a dedicated clan flag slot (however, Wedgie missed this opportunity years ago)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

There are quite a few Fletcher-class DDs represented in WoWs. There are no Fletcher (tier IX American tech-tree destroyer) clones in the game, however. What we have are several ships built around the same hull with varying levels of unique, defining features.

I bring this up because I feel like the term “clone” has been increasingly misused as of late. It implies a low-effort copy-paste endeavor, which really doesn’t apply in this case.

I wouldn't be quite so strict on your "clone" definition, especially adding WG's intentions to the mix 😄 

Same class is enough for me, the arrangement of the "deck chairs" isn't enough to warrant calling it a new class... same with A v B hull or "block" in the more modern parlance.

I still am annoyed that the new US 5"/54 guns don't have more pen than the WWII 5"/38's:  That shoulda' been a change!

Fair winds and following seas!

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Arcus_Aesopi said:

I wouldn't be quite so strict on your "clone" definition, especially adding WG's intentions to the mix 😄 

Same class is enough for me, the arrangement of the "deck chairs" isn't enough to warrant calling it a new class... same with A v B hull or "block" in the more modern parlance.

I wouldn’t call it a new class either - all of the above mentioned ships are definitively Fletcher-class destroyers. Labeling them all as clones, however, implies that they are the same, which is objectively not true. The ships have defining characteristics that result in them playing quite differently, despite representing ships originally built as part of the same class.

I don’t consider all of the Fletcher-class ships listed in this thread “clones” (outside of the two pairs I noted above) for the same reason I don’t consider Jean Bart a Richelieu clone, Z-31 a Z-39 clone, Belfast’43 an Edinburgh clone, etc.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 3

Bismarck & Tirpitz

Queen Elizabeth & Warspite

Alabama & Massachusetts

Among many, many, many other sister/half-sister ships

1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

Velos as well as the new Pan-Asian Three Kingdoms DD, the latter of which is an actual clone (of Kidd).

What you have to remember here, too, is that while they might be kicking off with the same stats, WG has openly stated that they will be balanced independently (if necessary) because they don't have access to the same legendary commanders (just as the Iowa clone will be balanced differently from Iowa because in addition to the commander differences, she gets access to the normal modules in her slots rather than the artillery plotting room mods that are unique to the US).

• Like 1

I don't understand the aversion to clones existing in game...

But I like some ships just for history.

3 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

So they actually did the math ... for once?! Daaaaamn.

Then im guessing it is exactly what @Daniel_Allan_Clark said.

Is it anyone more than me that thinks this is a bit weird if they did this on purpose? Why have a Funny button gimmick on a ship if said gimmick engaged at all times will provide a better DPM then normal play? Why not just remove the Funny button then and just give it a great standard, more Sherman-ish DPM from the start?! So what will basically happen is that any Johnston player will push "F" at start of the game and then never disengage it during the entire battle.....?!

The lord and WeeGee works in mysterious ways ......

I believe it's just some historical flavor to differentiate Johnston's gunfighting prowess from her peers. A ship with a slightly faster reload isn't as interesting as a ship with a burst fire that's basically a direct upgrade.

6 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Would that be similar to creating a thousand flavors of vodka?

da........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Unlooky said:

I believe it's just some historical flavor to differentiate Johnston's gunfighting prowess from her peers. A ship with a slightly faster reload isn't as interesting as a ship with a burst fire that's basically a direct upgrade.

On paper the burst fire has like 15 % DPM advantage, but I would ask this: What if you miss?

Fletcher / Johnston has pretty floaty shells, so if you have a difficult, dodging target, it may well be a good idea to fire individual salvos just because it allows correcting your aim. But if you go into a knife fight, then the burst fire is obviously the king.

But in any case, I also think it is a genuinely interesting to have a ship that seems to default to the burst fire.

Edited by asalonen

10 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I don't understand the aversion to clones existing in game...

But I like some ships just for history.

I don't understand the aversion to sisterships when they clearly have significantly different strengths and intended gameplay. All the Fletchers have their own unique attributes so it's not like WG is releasing the same ship over and over again. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah

This isn't an Mainz/Mainz B/Cross of Dorn situation

Come to think, WG could make Mainz G for St. Patricks day and so forth....

Edited by aleksi111
Typo

If they sold a T9 coal Fletcher that was a direct clone of the tech-tree ship, people would get it. Look at how many people (me included) ground their afts off to get the Somme.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

people would get it. 

Yes, yes I would.

• Like 1

Exactly.

People will buy sister ship clones just to have the name they want on the stern.

The obsession with gimmicks betrays a lack of confidence by WG in their own product.

Let's not forget Omaha, Marblehead, Marblehead Lima, Rattlehead, and Murmansk.  And I still may be forgetting another Omaha sister.

Johnston is $6 more expensive than any other T9 in the premium shop, go figure- but even the base pack comes with a 10-point commander. Wonder whether she'll stick around or be FOMO-bait?

Rhode Island is $145.80. I think I got a better deal on Wisconsin, so I'll pass on the stupidly expensive paperbote, thanks.