The Beautiful Game (Ongoing)

Arcus_Aesopi

40 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Italy lost but it is a beautiful game.

LOL, Thanks @clammboy! Nice 🙂

Well, Spain did the job against Georgia and it turns out the first goal was an "own goal", so Spain scored all 5!  LOL  4-1 to Spain!

Found this at https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/27/euro-2024-power-rankings-verdicts-on-the-24-teams-after-the-group-stage

Guardian's Power Rankings for Euro 24

1)  Spain
2)  Germany
3)  Austria
4)  France
5)  Portugal
6)  Switzerland
7)  Georgia
😎 Turkey
9)  England
10) Belgium
11) Italy
12) Netherlands
13) Denmark
14) Romania
15) Slovakia
16) Slovenia
17) Ukraine
18) Croatia
19) Albania
20) Hungary
21) Czech Republic
22) Poland
23) Serbia
24) Scotland

These rankings are 4-0 in the matches so far while the betting odds I used are 3-1. 

😎 And... I just learned from the list that 8 + ) gives 😎 

What a worthwhile endeavor!

• Thanks 1

Managed to get all 4 so far. Italys loss were expected if you had watched the games. Lucky on England, as it is just the team that walks through that is necessary to pick not the draw that was full time result. Even if I score good the following four fights the quarter finals will be more evenly matched probably where the outcome is far more difficult to pick. 

Therefor I think that most players will have likely good results after first 8 that leaves them in hope for good prizes. At least some ships might be in waiting. Just hope that I can leave the eventual containers unopened until a ship that I do not have joins the ship boxes. Right now there is no box that have a ship that is not in my port.

• Like 1

Have no idea what the issue is with the way England is playing ,but for the favorites they are leaving a lot to be desired,matches so far have been just above boring on the richter scale.Not sure how to predict their next game for The Beautiful Game. 

Edited by Chysagon
correction
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chysagon said:

Have no idea what the issue is with the way England is playing ,but for the favorites they are leaving a lot to be desired,matches so far have been slighlty above boring on the richter scale.Not sure how to predict their next game for The Beautiful Game. 

I would personally bet on Switzerland, Slovak team had some very bad luck and England was absolutely harmless and futile for the majority of the match.

• Like 3

Well, tomorrow's matches should be interesting.  The charts say Netherlands and Austria should win. Hope so!

July 2: Romania vs. Netherlands, 12 p.m.

July 2: Austria vs. Türkiye, 3 p.m.

The Odds chart is 5-1 while the Guardian's power rankings are 6-0.  Both games today didn't show any real "power"!

Good luck all!

While I did pick the Netherlands for today, since I know absolutely nothing about 'football' I also picked Türkiye.  Hoping for an upset over Austria 🙃.  Wish I'd seen @Arcus_Aesopi's list first, but I'm still 4/6 for just guessing, so not too bad.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Slammer58 said:

While I did pick the Netherlands for today, since I know absolutely nothing about 'football' I also picked Türkiye.  Hoping for an upset over Austria 🙃.  Wish I'd seen @Arcus_Aesopi's list first, but I'm still 4/6 for just guessing, so not too bad.

Like you, I knew nothing and sought "truth" on the internet... got pretty lucky with that, I think 😉 

Good luck the rest of the way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slammer58 said:

Interestingly, transfermarkt has Turkey's roster as more valuable than Austria's, yet the latter are the favorites according to the betting markets. I'm on the fence myself, knowing very little about either team...

Edited by tocqueville8
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 1:11 PM, clammboy said:

Italy lost but it is a beautiful game.

Olivia Ponton Sexy Booty

Is she a tour guide? She could guide my personal tour ☺️.

Seriously, tho, this token event is rather bogus. There's no way to choose all of the matchups unless you jump thru Wedgie circus ring hoops like a trained poodle.

I picked whatever matches I could with the  (5?) freebie tokens.

As to Italy losing to Switzerland - well Italian fans are like Brazilian fans - they think their national team is better than others & should be favoured (even in contradiction of the facts), hence, I laugh whenever Italy loses. Italian football, imho, is too defensive oriented, hence 'boring' although purists will say a 1-0 win is the mark of a well played match. I prefer the attacking, entertaining style of play associated with the good Brazilian teams. I'm Cdn, btw, with Eng, Fre & Ger ancestry, so I can cheer for these teams.

The Ger/Spa matchup looks to be pivotal. Spain is looking to be the team to beat (to my casual football afficionado eye). Disclosure: I cheer for Ger (due to surname). 😁

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 1:03 AM, Gnirf said:

Just hope that I can leave the eventual containers unopened until a ship that I do not have joins the ship boxes. Right now there is no box that have a ship that is not in my port.

I really really hope it works like that!   I just figured I'd get the cheesy "compensation" if I get manage to get that far down the awards chain.   Thanks for the tip, it's worth letting the boxes sit in the off chance that one could get a 'future' ship 🙂 

I'm not too familiar with soccer (aka "football" for the non-Americans among us) so I don't really understand how this works but I have 7 tokens left ... will I be able to bet on further stages? I assume this works like American football or baseball in which the winners of the 8 matches pair off in 4 matches? I assume we'll be able to vote on that. Any suggestions on picks?

• Like 1

Oh well 7/8, disappointed by Austria. The rest of it is much harder to pick. I think it is mostly like WOWS RNG. Spain and France are still my favorites.

15 minutes ago, BigHeadShrimp said:

Oh well 7/8, disappointed by Austria. The rest of it is much harder to pick. I think it is mostly like WOWS RNG. Spain and France are still my favorites.

I'm not.  😇  I blindly picked Türkiye.  2 for 2 today.  I will now probably totally blow the rest of my picks.

I went 7 for 8 on the round of 16. I picked Austria to win against Turkey but that didn't work out. However 7/8 isn't bad at all! I am shooting for that Tier VIII or Tier VII premium box

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CFagan_1987 said:

I'm not too familiar with soccer (aka "football" for the non-Americans among us) so I don't really understand how this works but I have 7 tokens left ... will I be able to bet on further stages? I assume this works like American football or baseball in which the winners of the 8 matches pair off in 4 matches? I assume we'll be able to vote on that.

Correct.

5 hours ago, CFagan_1987 said:

Any suggestions on picks?

The Netherlands and England are solid favorites. France are thin favorites over Portugal, and Spain is technically favored over Germany but really you might as well flip a coin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on the winners...  I was 6/8 on the first round following the odds... the Turkey win seemed to be an actual upset since both the Draftkings' odds and Guardian's power rankings missed that one!

Draftkings Euro 2024 title odds (6/8 on round of 16)

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/2024/7/3/24191566/euro-2024-odds-picks-predictions-championship-title-futures-spain-england-france-germany

Spain: +400
England: +400
France: +450
Germany: +450
Netherlands: +700
Portugal: +850
Switzerland: +1400
Turkey: +4000

And the Guardian (7/8 on round of 16) haven't released power rankings yet.

As expected, the published power rankings are wildly divergent after some crazy round of 16 games: 

CBSSports (top to bottom): Spain, Germany, France, Switzerland, England, Portugal, Turkey, Netherlands

FourFourTwo (top to bottom): Spain, Germany, France, Turkey, Netherlands, France, Portugal, England

I'm going to wait a couple days for opinions to level out before I pick the Quarterfinals!  Also, I have to earn more tokens... 🙂 

Good luck all!