Did You Have a Good Game

Wowzery

I got to thinking, what determines if you had a good game to you?

Personally its always been how much damage did I do.  If in a battleship what was the average damage done per main gun hit.

I never considered W/L as a factor for a good game due to the fact there are too many variables outside my control.  So I concentrated on what I could do.  I've had many games that I lost but had massive damage and such, and it was a fun game.  My team lost, but I did good and had fun.  And I had games where my team stomped but I didn't do good, and it wasn't a good game for me.

I'm just curious what others consider a good game for you.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

You just recently got asked that "How satisfied with the game you just played?" question, didn't you?

Answering it always amuses me. For example, imagine I'm playing a campaign of some kind to get something I really want. I go into the battle knowing that ONE instance of (insert task here) will do it for me. I do the thing, but die quickly (as does my team), scoring less than a thousand ship XP and running into a five-figure credit loss. I would be deliriously happy with the outcome of that game, because it got me what I wanted and I know this for sure before the battle is even over. In any other context, I would say "Extremely dissatisfied". 

• Like 1

A good game is one where I mostly make the right decisions.

That often leads to good damage, and the two are certainly correlated, but it might have more to do with spotting, creating a crossfire, refusing to push when it's a bad idea, resetting someone who's about to cap, securing a kill, giving a good smoke, holding my radar until I can use it more productively, pushing at the right time, ramming when it's the least bad option, etc.

Edited by tocqueville8
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

Having fun while supporting my team.

So long as I a) had fun, dynamic game while b) doing well in supporting my team and playing for objectives, I don't really care about everything else. A zero-damage destroyer game where I won the match by capping the enemy base is a perfectly acceptable game in my view.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

I play mostly T10 DDs and I set high goals for myself.  
120k damage, 100k spotting and at least one kill is a good game.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

Personally its always been how much damage did I do.  If in a battleship what was the average damage done per main gun hit.

I never considered W/L as a factor for a good game due to the fact there are too many variables outside my control.  So I concentrated on what I could do.  I've had many games that I lost but had massive damage and such, and it was a fun game.  My team lost, but I did good and had fun.  And I had games where my team stomped but I didn't do good, and it wasn't a good game for me.

A battle that isn't obviously decided in the first 6 minutes with a 4-0 lead or anything like that 

Decent damage (120k+) that isn't from a single Conq or other ship with a superheal 

Two kills that aren't stolen

A match where I'm not just stuck in the same position getting griefed by a CV or sub

• Like 3

If I think I played well then, it's a good game.  Don't really much care what others think or even winning.  I'm not a unicum player, so my ability to carry a game is limited.  It is always nice to be recognized with a +1 at the end of a hard match.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I strive for top 3 but accept top 5. So that would be a good game for me win or lose.

When I play DDs, I hope for good actions and long survival to conduct those actions.

When I play BBs, I hope for a decent amount of damage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

You just recently got asked that "How satisfied with the game you just played?" question, didn't you?

Lately, this question pops up after a very bizarre game where RNG is not looking random, and MM is out of their mind.  It usually takes me a few minutes to comprehend an honest answer.

My general rule of thumb is if I deal more damage than my ship's HP then, I did ok and carried my weight.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I refuse to be part of the group they point to when they say "you asked for it" by using vaguely worded questions like that to allow them to parse out whatever supposed slanted set of parameters they're looking for to justify whatever they're trying to push on the player base...

They have the ability to ask direct questions to get genuine feedback...&...

It is their game so they can do whatever they want so their need to blame the player base for their objectionable choices based on the results of these inquiries is just manipulative & unnecessary...

As this thread has demonstrated there is as many different interpretations to that inquiry as there is players in the game...

Example: Somebody gets a 2500 BXP game in a 2 CV 3 sub 9 vs 9 queue dump & just happened to not have any of the subs or CVs interact with them that battle replies "Extremely satisfied"...

WG interpretation: "You asked for more 9 vs 9 queue dumps with 2 CVs & 3 subs".

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Like 1

Performing my role well makes for a good battle. Generally games I win have lower damage / kill totals than the ones I lose, because the other players on my team are doing more of the lifting (so there is less for me to do). Pretty much any game where I get >120k damage is either a very close game, or a loss (note that I don't play a lot of BBs).

Since we are back into clan battles, my generic talk about roles seems appropriate here:

• If you are playing a DD, then caps, cap assistance and spotting damage are key
  • If you are playing a cruiser, then damage is key
  • If you are playing a BB, then Kills and potential damage are key

I play DD's a lot, and games where I get >100k damage are games where *someone* screwed up. I hope it was the opponent, but all too often it was my team, so the DD needs to "fill the hole"

It's fine for cruisers to get kills and BB's to do damage, but fundamentally cruisers are more about DPM, and BB's are more about alpha strikes. A BB can often hold a flank very effectively by holding fire - no-one wants to be the one to eat that salvo!

There are of course variations - radar cruisers spotting (and killing) DD's, San Martin kiting a flank and picking up potential damage (my average San Martin game yesterday was 1.4M potential) and BB's like Thunderer racking up huge fire damage totals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

A good game is a number of things; getting the W never grows old (the only distasteful wins are the roflstomp type), sinking an enemy or two (or more), being sunk but by being sunk assisting your team getting the W. Another good thing would be to damage four (or the more the better) enemy ships. A First Blood award helps. A Kraken is definitely good. Sinking an enemy reworked CV or an enemy Sub is also good. The more damage done to the enemy the better is always good. Divisioning is good (usually).

Edited by Aethervox
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Wowzery said:

just curious what others consider a good game for you

Depends, sometimes its damage, sometimes its contribution to victory and sometimes getting good progress on some task…

5 hours ago, Wowzery said:

For me it is playing my role to a good capacity and being relevant to the outcome of the match. 

Damage for me is just of secondary value, I've had matches with Superb damage numbers but I came out very dissapointed because I took some bad decision that led (most likely allowed) to a defeat. For me a Victory is orders of magnitude more relevant than damage, and as I play very different roles, it is common for me to have average damage but critical side stats like Capture points, Spotting, etc. 

• Like 1

I only play randoms, so it's a casual game to me (asymms when available, also casual).

A good game in that context is just whenever I have fun. Ive played about 16k-17k random matches. Probably 85%-90%, Ive had fun, so GG. 

• Like 2

around 1 in 20 games are "good" for me. 

Good means if I did good job, damage, spotting, capping etc. And the game lasted almost 20 minutes and it was a close game, where you didnt see any rookie mistakes, like yoloing, showing broadside and stuff.

So if you did all that and even if you lost its still a fun and good game beacouse you know you lost a game to better opponents.

For me a good game is simple, a winning game that lands me fairly good bxp, which in terms makes me easier to reach my third daily container.

Usually I stop bother with the grind as soon as reaching 37000bxp so, the sooner the merrier.

• Like 1

It's simple...

Did I play well? If yes, then good game.

But that's my personal definition.

If asked by WG about whether I was satisfied with that match...that's another answer.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2024 at 9:47 AM, Wowzery said:

For me, a match where I have to work for a good score....  And, since I hate losing, win......  I don't play to lose any match.  Even when I am divisioning to help a clan mate or a friend(s) to achieve say, "spotting damage..."  or some such other onerous event task.

On 6/27/2024 at 9:54 AM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

All of the time it seems.  I must have answered that survey 200 times.  Always "extremely dissatisfied".  Why?   One of the best tests of any game's success is the status of it's player base and growth.....

This game has simply, over the years, sacrificed players for profit....  Player population "growth"  =  game quality.  Till they figure that out, I am completely dissatisfied.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Asym said:

All of the time it seems.  I must have answered that survey 200 times.  Always "extremely dissatisfied".  Why?   One of the best tests of any game's success is the status of it's player base and growth.....

Then you answered incorrectly, on general philosophical principles (not absolute truth), not on the basis of the results you just achieved. You lied to them, and your lies will help shape the game...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Then you answered incorrectly, on general philosophical principles (not absolute truth), not on the basis of the results you just achieved. You lied to them, and your lies will help shape the game...

You've got it backwards mate.  The game simply is stagnant.  Nothing is customer based anymore.  It's all revenue generation no matter the cost.  I play the game the same way every match I play.  It is sad that, I do try to win despite the negative game "gimmicks" they use to make money.  Versus first world quality they could create....  i.e WW 1 game modes;  mode of play explicitly subs and those whom really want to play ASW;  real carrier operations where carriers can actually fight carriers; or, even explore littoral naval combat with Corvettes, DE's and PT boats......

There is so much they could explore and yet.......

So, my action in playing a game I could simply leave is balanced by the lack of effort on their part.  They effort IMO leaves me "extremely dissatisfied...."

Enough negative waves Ensign......it's my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I always hate that the survey pops up before I can see the results screen.

As I mainly play coop the win itself is guaranteed. But how did I actually do? I'm looking for 500 case xp most matches or a good active fight. That will determine how I felt about the last match. Since I can't see the base xp before the survey I have to guess. 

The one way to get an extremely dissatisfied would be the matches where all my flanks ships drive off to the other side of the map for no real reason. 

If I play coop, my criteria for a good game is simple:

• Who is spawned on my side, is it a bot? or a human Marceau/Michelangelo/etc
  • Who is spawned on the other side, someone brings in a Yolo Emilio and it happens to spawn on my side other than their side.
  • Did the bot stick to their side, or they decide to move elsewhere
  • Did they hit island
  • Did my human teammate being too effective taking most of the damage before I can do so

Coop is a zero sum game, if I took too much fun, not much left for others, and vice versa.